Just so I’m clear on greasing the knuckles... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve done quite a bit of reading on this topic and I know it is nothing complex but before I attend to this check, I’m curious if anyone can please confirm that wheel bearing grease is not suitable to use in the steering knuckles. I have a grease gun with a cylindrical cartridge of EP grease which I use for zerk fittings and wheel bearings. It is red in color and made by Italian oil company Agip.

As I understand it, a molybdenum rich grease is needed, which, if I’m not mistaken, will typically be black in color? Can anyone give me a recommendation on what I can buy in the cylinder shaped cartridge to fit in my grease gun that I can use in the steering knuckles on my 1995 Land Cruiser?

Many thanks.

Valvoline Palladium, 3% Moly, NAPA stores sell it.
Valvoline Synpower, ?% Moly (less than Palladium), NAPA.
Many of us choose the Palladium with the higher Moly content.

There is supposed to be a new Valvoline Palladium with 5% Moly,
but so far I've been unable to find it anywhere.

Last edited:
Any grease is better than no grease, so yes, regular wheel bearing grease will work. But Moly additive is beneficial to the life of CVs, birfs, etc, so better to use it, not like it's rare or expensive?

I use STP moly-ep, but it comes in a tub not a tube. I suck it up in a big suringe and inject 70cc into each Birf at oil changes.

Specifications are for 5% Moly. I purchased a box of ‘tubes’ that met the specs for moly from Caterpillar a number of years ago fwiw ... dont overfill as may get forced past the seals

Walmart has a Molly grease which comes in tubes of 14oz

I’ve done quite a bit of reading on this topic and I know it is nothing complex but before I attend to this check, I’m curious if anyone can please confirm that wheel bearing grease is not suitable to use in the steering knuckles. I have a grease gun with a cylindrical cartridge of EP grease which I use for zerk fittings and wheel bearings. It is red in color and made by Italian oil company Agip.

As I understand it, a molybdenum rich grease is needed, which, if I’m not mistaken, will typically be black in color? Can anyone give me a recommendation on what I can buy in the cylinder shaped cartridge to fit in my grease gun that I can use in the steering knuckles on my 1995 Land Cruiser?

Many thanks.

There are the wheel bearings, the knuckle bearings, and then the birfs.
There is this - - skip to 23:55 for what Ryan uses to do each. It appears the knuckle bearings and the birfs use the same grease.
None of the grease is applied with a gun.
Gloves highly recommended.

Cat Ultra 5 moly and Cat desert gold both have 5% moly. I run valvoline syn power or palladium because they're easy to find. Honestly I’d run whatever moly grease you can find easily and cheaply and not think too hard about it. Even if its only 3% moly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom