Just ran the Rubicon Trail in the FJ. Some thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are CVJ. and the o ring comes on them

Good wrapping job on the axle- I like the cane ends- wished they shipped that way from mr. T.

More details on the axle you pictured: Is that a RCV joint, or CVJ reman with the upgraded neoprene boot?

But I'm especially curious about this O-ring you have in the inner boot: does that help with stopping chaff?

View attachment 2387388
It's a CVJ reman. Honestly, I have no idea what that big o-ring does. It came with a tag that pointed out the little clear straw breather tube you can barely see in your zoom in image. They ship with the breather tube in place and instruct you to remove it once installed on the truck. It appears to me that there is a factory black rubber boot under the orange silicon boot, or at least a portion of the wide rim that forms to the 6-sided design of the inner bell.

No boot under. it is just a filler piece to fill in the areas around the axle since the boots are round

There is another company that sells red boots . and with those you need to cut your OEM boot to use as the filler . The CVJ boots come with that filler .

508B19E8-9117-4738-AC6A-4E43490FCFBE.jpeg
I
how tough are the FJ RCV’s?

I run the RCV’s in the IFS Of my rock buggy. Dana 60 RCV’s on the outer’s and 35 spline 935 Cvs at the differential. I have exploded both of the differential 35spline Drive plates And have had to replace three unit bearings but the original 935 Cvs And the Dana 60 RCV’s are unbreakable

On another note my buddy got his JK back from the insurance adjuster yesterday. It looks like the Dana 44 ARB third member let go. Both of the shafts were broke and the third member was toast. After we finish the run he drove 25 miles back to the hotel on this third member with front wheel drive powering him
6291B3C6-BCE7-4FBB-ADF0-EB419E984824.jpeg
5E6D50CA-9FA2-436C-956A-F0E78318D2BC.jpeg

What size tires on buddy's JK with DANA 44?

Sweet Buggy BTW- really nice

He was running 35 inch tires at 20 PSI. 3.6 L.
His jeep was a 4 door and heavy with a lot of gear and a roof rack.
And it was in the dark coming down big sluice and drivers were getting frustrated and sloppy.

Last edited:
Understandable spot for a failure and narrow tough spot to try and pass. We sheared a drag link on that section of the trail- and with no steering, it brought things to a stand still till we could get a hand to move it out of the way and let people past.

I think 35's are stock on those Rubicon Jeeps with Dana 44's- but I thought the common fail are the axle shafts not the diff.

35F1D466-3CB7-4978-A536-5692FA4EA64E.jpeg

I believe my jeep buddy with the broken axles could have limped the jeep out after he broke the first shaft. But after the break he continue to use a heavy foot. I suspect the differential survived the original break but the second shaft broke and the differential imploded not long after the original broken shaft.

Threw up a picture of us changing the tire on the ram charger. Notice how we winched it to a tree. Nice little trick to help stabilize A high lift Jack

The next picture is of my buddy Dustin‘s JK that he brought. He bashed this home built trailer the entire way behind the four-door Jeep. This is not a small trailer. And he had his two small children and wife with him. One of his kids was a six-month-old baby. At the little sluice bypass the seals on his power steering box went out and so he did the entire rest of the trail with manual steering pulling that trailer. In this pic he is winching a big sluice. I was behind him pulling the broken Jeep with the un

5DAF701A-5B11-44F5-8711-CEDD5E7BC877.jpeg

I think we'd be interested. I have family in Bishop, so this may be an opportunity to see some awesome country, wheel, and visit family all in one.
We started a FB page you can follow. 2021 Skunks on the Run

Just a heads up for everyone . For Rubithon 2021 there will be a IFS run added . it will be starting from Loon lake on Thur June 24th. . Once the 2021 Rubithon Event is announced we will make a official thread .

That is interesting, all the trails in Northern Ca have been closed because of the fire danger, still closed today, Oct 10-2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom