Just ordered 31's and need tranny cooler help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jnbphotovideo.com
So I bought some Falken 31x10.5x15's for my 62 and have heard I'll need a tranny cooler for them, what tranny cooler do you recommend? What adapters or hoses will I need?

getimage.php

Hayden Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler
Your Price: $56.10
Part Number: 8058-07027054
Notes: Auto Trans Oil Cooler -- Premium Plate and Fin Cooler Heavy Duty; Size - 11 x 11 5/8

That's the one I am looking at getting on parts geek but I'm not sure what else I need to make it fit/work. I'd like one that is the easiest to install/mount, I've searched for DIY's on this and only found one, any other links?
Thanks! :cheers:

That cooler is about the right size and Hayden is a good brand. It will work great.

I used a ford AT cooler because that's what I had. It also works great.

There is no one best way. You just need to pull the trigger on something and make it work. That Hayden looks perfect.

I installed the B&M 70268. I had a smaller one at first (don't remember the make and model), and was still experiencing overheating. Since I've had the 70268, my tranny has never overheated, even in the desert in the summer.

I suggest comparing the cooling capacity of the one you're looking at vs this one (the 70268 is rated at 13,000 BTU), and make sure you're close.

I installed the B&M 70268. I had a smaller one at first (don't remember the make and model), and was still experiencing overheating. Since I've had the 70268, my tranny has never overheated, even in the desert in the summer.

I suggest comparing the cooling capacity of the one you're looking at vs this one (the 70268 is rated at 13,000 BTU), and make sure you're close.

Product Features
Size is 3/4 inch x 11 inch x 11-5/8 inch
Class "A" motor homes, large travel trailers, 5th wheel trailers
GVWR up to 30,000 pounds, towing up to 10,000 pounds
Patented internal turbulation increases heat transfer with minimal pressure drop
Pre-drilled mounting brackets for easy installation

Although that B&M is looking really nice too with more reviews, may get that one.

If you haz 87 then you are 4 spd.

If you are '88-'90 tehn yes, awlayz recmendad.

I haz.

I did the B&W 70268 since it was cheap and available on Amazon Prime. Installation was easy with the included brackets with just a few bends. Because I wanted to make the installation (mostly) reversible I made just one cut in the existing cooler lines, kept them in place and spliced in the new unit. Hose routing was easy through frame holes below the front grille. Good luck--it's a straightforward job.

If I get the tires mounted a drive around town for a few days am I at risk of doing damage? I won't have time to install the cooler until either this weekend or next weekend.

You'll be fine, lots of people run 33s on stock gears without a cooler.

Just watch the AT light on your shifter console if you're heading over any mountain passes, pull over and keep the engine running with the heater on if it lights up.

Do a drain and fill with ATF when you install the cooler. The A440 is a beefy tranny just a little sensitive to heat, the cooler is best practice but not a requirement.

Got them mounted and they look great, I'll get better pics later....I am going to order new tie rod ends and a steering damper as well cause I don't wanna get death wobble anymore and I think these may make it worse.

8230041293_2dcf6af8f2_z.jpg

You will have to give us a report on what you think about the Falken Rocky Mountains. I have heard good things about them but they were replaced by another line I believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom