Just finished Birf job and found some surprises (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I hit 100K and thought it would be good to finally get to the birfs for PM since I have some time. First time doing it on my own and I have to say, it isn't too bad. But when I took it apart, found one of the C-clamps was not placed back on the axle after the last time it was done by the dealer. Also, one of the trunion bearings were completely missing. I think they forgot to put it back or the mechanic just lost it :rolleyes:. Anyway, it's good to do things yourself when you can. At least you know the job will get done correctly. Or at least find someone who specializes in LC's. This was a good lesson learned.

C-clips from what I know and read seem to be something missed by a lot of subpar mechanics. The whole trunion bearing missing :eek: thankfully you got in there and got it all fixed up :)

How many miles do you drive with a missing trunion bearing and not notice?

Believe it or not, I couldn't really tell that it was missing. Everything felt fine. I've personally have been driven it 15K miles. Steering was always a little off, but other than that, no problems. But since I fixed it, it does steer better.

When I did my axle job I found alot of f'ed up stuff too. But now it is done and done right. I didnt think it was tht bad of a job either.

That's impossible your knuckle would almost fall off without a trunion bearing, there would be zero preload and your truck would be all over the road

I've seen some crazy things missing on older vehicles, but the trunion bearing? I don't know how you could drive it. Was it the upper or lower one?

Also, one of the trunion bearings were completely missing. I think they forgot to put it back or the mechanic just lost it

That seems unlikely, are you sure a lower bearing didn't fall out when you were dismantling? There's not much to hold it in once you remove the kingpin and swivel housing. It could easily disappear into a container filled with oily grease.

Rollers, or the races missing too?

It was the lower bearings that were missing. I'm sure they were missing because I looked everywhere. The 80 always wanted to go left. I took it in for an alignment 4 times thinking it was an alignment issue. Two different shops and the problem was never fixed. They swore it was aligned according to the computer, but when I took it on the road, always leaned left. Also, every time I made a stop, the 80 would always jerk just before stopping. Once I finished the job, everything miraculously got fixed. No more leaning and the jerk at the end of a stop is gone. The race was there, but the bearing were missing. Seriously, not making it up.

Cooldry; I'm not the expert on what is or isn't possible but it doesn't surprise me that someone could leave out (or have drop out) the lower trunnion bearing and not notice it before they buttoned up the knuckle. When I did my first front axle service I found the top trunnion caps had been beat with a BFH to force them into place. The result was twisted trunnion bearing cages, broken bearings, and cockeyed races. Like you things got better after the job was done; in my case it was a much smoother/lighter steering feel. Glad to hear you got it fixed right.

... Also, one of the trunion bearings were completely missing. I think they forgot to put it back or the mechanic just lost it :rolleyes:. ...

I'm calling BS.:hillbilly: It is in the grease bucket, rags, etc. If it were run without, the wheel would flop a couple of inches with every bump, even with what we call "alignment techs" now days wouldn't allow it out of the shop. There is no mention of replacing the knuckle pin, if it were run without a bearing, it would be beat to snot, no way to put a new bearing on it.

My experience is only with a knuckle bearing coming apart, all of the rollers coming out. The rig was almost undriveable, the knuckle flopping around destroyed the axle seal and wipers, a huge greasy mess and that was just in a few miles, getting it off of the trail to a trailer.

^^^ The voice of experience ^^^

:doh: Okay, you guys win about the bearings. But I know one of the C-clamps weren't there for sure :D.

:doh: Okay, you guys win about the bearings. But I know one of the C-clamps weren't there for sure :D.

One other thing - it s a C-clip, NOT a C-clamp. Not a big thing, except if you went in to a hardware store for C-clips and asked them to show you where the C-clamps were. This is a C-clamp:

c-clamp1.jpg

These are examples of C-clips:

clip1.jpg

clip2.jpg

Oh, and they are not interchangeable.:D.

Last edited:
mine has 268k on it,just did them today and they look like they have never been apart, they were loud as hell though, and there was nothing missing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom