Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey y’all! Radio silence is right. Sorry for dropping off like that. Divorce has a way of distracting a person. Crazy how much life can change in 6 months.
Now I’m faced with what to do with my cruiser. The Green machine went to my Xhusband an I kept the red one. Which wasn’t exactly what I wanted as I have been having so much fun in the green machine off roading this summer :(((
In any case... I have a lot of work to do fast to get the red one mechanically sound if I’m going to keep it as my X husband ripped a bunch of stuff out of the motor as his last little gift to me...

Brake lines... and when I changed the fuel filter, lost prime... then realized that a gasket was spent... couldn’t get prime until I replaced it. Got busy with “other stuff” and here I am. That should get it back on he ro

So I’m considering parting the red BJ out and just buying one that I can drive again. With the new life changes I don’t see how I’ll have time to do ALL the repairs I need to, to make it reliable. Now that I no longer have the green machine I’m sitting with a Bj42 in my garage and I’m having serious withdrawals. I want to go off roading, and not worry about whether I’m gonna come off my frame.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
It’s almost complete all original.

Parting out a vehicle sucks. You sell big ticket items then you are left with a lot of crap, and a lot of trouble shipping and dealing with cheaper, small parts. Then at the end you are giving stuff away and still left with bunch to deal with.

If you just need brake lines, get those fixed, they are cheap. A running/driving BJ40 is worth WAY more than parting one even if the frame isn't any good. It's A LOT of work to part one.

Ok so on the bigger and better things! The red BJ moved on to another family. The green one was gone before that.
I was suffering from empty nest syndrome when I came across one out in Quebec ... a BJ, another ‘81. I was literally getting ready to walk out the door to put a deposit on it when my son fell and broke his arm. Went to the hospital... X-rays confirmed a break... the next day I plan to make that deposit and everything that could happen to keep me from being able to make it... did. Again I was delayed another day. By the third day the guy that was patiently waiting on me said that he had a guy that wanted to look at it but he was running it by me first. I ended up telling him that he could go ahead and show it. It’s been my experience that anything that is way too difficult to make work usually blows up in my face if I force it. As much as I wanted this BJ I humbled myself and bowed out.
That night... (last night) I found this... it’s a ’70 FJ with a “new old stock” motor in it” ok so I looked it up briefly and I couldn’t derive from the information whether it’s good or bad. Now... it looks exactly like the 2f but I’m just going by pictures. The motor doesn’t look like it’s ever really been ran and I was told that it has 10,000 km on it. I don’t have any pictures of the underneath but it’s almost perfect. No real rust to speak of... very little surface rust at all. The right and left finder are pretty banged up and the rocker panels have rust spots... there are a couple of concentrated areas that need patching but compared to the red machine I feel like this guy looks like a brand new vehicle. The original seats don’t look like they have been sat in . The 8 ton warn winch works beautifully. The goodwrench tires look brand new.
Rear and front dif is brand new all the brake lines have been replaced. It sounds beautiful, and that’s coming from someone that thought that I would be terribly disappointed with a gas engine. I’m pretty stoked about it. I’m having my mechanic look at it tomorrow but I think it’s sold. I went ahead and put a deposit on it today....
tell me what y’all think!
EE8AABDD-E93D-4FC7-9FBC-79458380AF94.jpeg
3B191691-3DED-46BD-BC18-FE0F9515F0AD.jpeg
87F923E4-B745-48B5-9F3B-0EE04904502F.jpeg
70227FF1-1718-4C9E-9582-DDFA51D52DC6.jpeg

1579D7EB-C181-42A2-9F48-D629A683B434.jpeg

Also... I have another question...
before I actually went to look at this today, I came across a 3b engine. What would someone say was a good price for a 3b +transmission and a transfer case? I’d considered putting a 3b in an Fj just for the break on gas prices alone. But this engine looks and sound amazing.
I’ll try to upload a video if I can.
In any case I’m thinking of buying the 3b because I definitely want another one, even if I have to Frankenstein it. Just don’t know what a good price for one is.

Haha I know!! I have already thought of this.
I think I’m going to sell this one tho. I really really want another Bj. I could go for days and days on 1 tank. I was close to 30mpg on that thing.
I love this one plus I got a SCREAMING deal so I couldn’t pass up the chance to make some money.
With that said... I’ve not got it home yet, im sure that the moment I do, and I see it sitting in my driveway I’m going to fall madly in love.

Also... I have another question...
before I actually went to look at this today, I came across a 3b engine. What would someone say was a good price for a 3b +transmission and a transfer case? I’d considered putting a 3b in an Fj just for the break on gas prices alone. But this engine looks and sound amazing.
I’ll try to upload a video if I can.
In any case I’m thinking of buying the 3b because I definitely want another one, even if I have to Frankenstein it. Just don’t know what a good price for one is.

You will never break even on gas cost once you consider all the costs of swapping plus the higher cost of fuel. A 3B will probably pull 20~23mpg depending on how you drive. All the F/2F's I had topped out at 14ish mpg.

Unless you can get the 3B and everything you need to swap it for really cheap, do it all yourself and sell the F to offset all the costs of the swap, you will never break even. People have figured out diesel swap payoffs, and its usually 5~10years down the road maybe more.

This is only fuel cost over 10,000 miles per year at current prices in my area. MPG is a slight guess as some get 14,15 on gassers, and some diesels 20ish maybe 25ish plus in right conditions. This is more of average.
Car #1Car #2
Fuel Price ($/gal)2.222.62
Fuel Economy (mpg)1322
Annual Fuel Cost:1,707.691,190.91
Savings:516.78
Savings after ...
Year 31,550.34
Year 52,583.90
Year 73,617.46

So in fuel costs alone, you would save $516.78 every 10K. Sound good right?

Well, if you got your engine/swap for free, then yes sounds good. "USUALLY" a diesel swap performed by a shop can range from $5K-$10k depening on complexity (this should be fairly straight forward) and parts or any maintenance needed. Even at $5k you are 100,000 miles to break even.

Speaking of maintenace...IF you need to rebuild the Injection pump, plan on $1,300ish, plus a few hundred for the injectors.

Not to sound all debbie downer, but a 3b swap in an FJ40 for mileage isn't a good plan at all. Now if you just want a diesel, then none of the above applies at all.

And of course you will want to turbo it...then...intercool then....$$$ 🤣

Lol... thanks debbie!
Good thing I didn’t run out and buy that thing yesterday! Even tho I can get it for about 4K.
I have to admit tho. It’s not just the savings on fuel. I LOVE the sound of a Diesel engine. Prob more than the savings on fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom