Builds Just bought my 1st BJ42... never restored anything before, this should be interesting. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I inquired about it too but didn't talk with him. He's asking 3500$ CAD. If it's been bondo'd id be very cautious. Id go over every inch with a magnet. I would expect anyone who rebuilds something to that degree would be able to provide rebuild pics to show you what's underneath. Without that your going on his word. When I talk to patients about their history before taking them into surgery I've found most folks under report their bad habits like smoking by at least half, often much more. So what ever he says that sounds dodgy, multiply it by 2 or 3.

Ahh man, bondo is now the new smoking, huh? On my first 40, I got busted for using those cheap blue crimp wire connectors that you get in a packs of 100. They act like if you enjoy really fatty smoked pork or tobacco, that you might as well be doubling the amperage in every slot in your fuse block, or doing weld repairs on your pitman arm.

What's he asking for it? Or did you buy it?
No I didn’t buy it.
I think he’s asking 3,500 CAD which is about 2,660 in USD.
Obviously I wouldn’t have paid that, but it sounds like it’s a bad idea anyway.

I inquired about it too but didn't talk with him. He's asking 3500$ CAD. If it's been bondo'd id be very cautious. Id go over every inch with a magnet. I would expect anyone who rebuilds something to that degree would be able to provide rebuild pics to show you what's underneath. Without that your going on his word. When I talk to patients about their history before taking them into surgery I've found most folks under report their bad habits like smoking by at least half, often much more. So what ever he says that sounds dodgy, multiply it by 2 or 3.
Mmhmm

For that price you could probably buy patch panels from real steel or cool cruisers of Texas. Or save a bit and go with an aqualu or teseven tub either way your getting some nice and clean to start with. Depends on your goals for the truck. Not a lot of options out there but the options that are out there are better than that tub. I was never a fan of aqualu until I had exhausted my options and went with one. We can get 300 days of rain up in my neck of the woods and the aqualu just makes sense for keeping the rust at bay. Whatever you decide do a lot of research before dropping the coin.

For $1500 id buy it but $3500 is a bit much. You would be better to spend $4500 and go with a new aqualu tub and call it good.

Cutting and patching your old rusty tub is part of the fun.

View attachment 1879281 Question... I’m cleaning out the sediment filter and there is a white cap that’s in there pretty good. I’m considering cutting the wires and just splicing them back together afterward but if anyone could tell me how this white thing comes out that would be awesome! I’m in the middle of it now so the sooner the better.

do not cut wires. do not cut wires. do not cut wires.

do not cut wires. do not cut wires. do not cut wires.
:bang: You’re about 3 weeks too late.
Turns out someone already beat me to it anyway. Once I got in there I saw that the wires had already been cut and put back together.

:bang: You’re about 3 weeks too late.
Turns out someone already beat me to it anyway. Once I got in there I saw that the wires had already been cut and put back together.

When you repair them,

get to clean copper, twist it, solder it, then cover it with weatherproof heat shrink.

do it right the first time, when it's easy, or you'll be doing it a second time when it is a PITA.

there is no worst - it just never ends :D
That’s one way to look at it.
Hey! I just looked at your profile, you are from Baton Rouge? Must be a Cajun thing, Im from Baton Rouge. Not many girls on here.
I went down to watch LSU put a beating on BAMA... im still waiting for that.

That little metal can you found with the wires out if the top is designed to catch debris and water and to let air into your fuel system. To say it's an old design is a bit of an understatement. Very common to remove it an put a more accessible/ reliable unit in place. Such as in the engine bay.
The air thing was a joke but a very common source for air entrainment.
g

For $1500 id buy it but $3500 is a bit much. You would be better to spend $4500 and go with a new aqualu tub and call it good.
So I got him down to 1,500 CAD (1,135 usd)
Plus he said that he’d throw in the front fenders as well. Turns out I need the right fender for the red one and the left fender for the green one.
We’re you serious when you said that you’d buy it for 1,500?

Me personally i wouldnt bother id go aluminum body as im planning in a couple years. When i said "i" i was referring to you cause you need one. haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom