Just bought a 2000 LC - big problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG

Holy sh*t! Is that rear shock not even attached????

If that's how you got it, the dealer sold you an unsafe vehicle.

That is definitely impressive. I can understand not getting it inspected etc etc but at least get on your knees and look underneath it! I put a deposit on my LX sight unseen also but damn at least I bent over and glanced at it!

You could probably get your money back or close to it if you part out the truck but that's a ton of work. I agree with what someone said earlier, Carmax is the best option.

Wow, she's a crusty girl. Sorry man; I'd dump it and move on - that truck will be nothing but a headache for you.

Wow- not good at all. I'm not sure carmax would take it in that condition (worth a try though).

What ever you do: keep it or dump it, its not worth putting much if any money into a truck in that condition. Sorry dude this probably won't help you feel very good, but that is going to be an expensive, messy, hard to service money-pit. I'd still try to figure out how to get it back to the selling dealer.

Wow- not good at all. I'm not sure carmax would take it in that condition (worth a try though).

What ever you do: keep it or dump it, its not worth putting much if any money into a truck in that condition. Sorry dude this probably won't help you feel very good, but that is going to be an expensive, messy, hard to service money-pit. I'd still try to figure out how to get it back to the selling dealer.

Thanks. I am not planning to put money into it.

I actually spoke to the MS AG's office yesterday and they said there isn't anything they can do. I have filed a complaint with the BBB, so maybe that will do something.

Does that state have a safety inspection program? I'm in VA, and at my shop we would reject this vehicle 10x over for being unsafe and it would never be sold to the public, if an inspector passes that, his career is down the drain when you call the state trooper. This is why safety inspections is so important, i don't know why every state doesn't do it, you are endangering public, and stuff like this makes me so mad. I can understand emissions not being required if you live out in the boonies, but safety check you gotta do it annual or at the least, every other year. I hope you get your money back or some of it, upon arrive first thing you should check is get a flash light and shine down on the under carriage. Best of luck

:doh:

Does that state have a safety inspection program? I'm in VA, and at my shop we would reject this vehicle 10x over for being unsafe and it would never be sold to the public, if an inspector passes that, his career is down the drain when you call the state trooper. This is why safety inspections is so important, i don't know why every state doesn't do it, you are endangering public, and stuff like this makes me so mad. I can understand emissions not being required if you live out in the boonies, but safety check you gotta do it annual or at the least, every other year. I hope you get your money back or some of it, upon arrive first thing you should check is get a flash light and shine down on the under carriage. Best of luck
MS has no inspection requirement that I am aware of.

Oh man. This totally brings the suck.
So - what was the dealer's name? You may help some unsuspecting victim if you post that.
I am somewhat hesitant to post the dealership's name at this point since I filed a complaint with the BBB. I'm not sure if there could be ramifications.

after living in northern IL I don't see it that bad....
Granted, it's not pristine, but isn't that bad either.
Working on it is going to be a pain, every bolt is gonna snap when you try to loosen it.

If you have to pay someone to do the job, then it might be a money pit and I'd recommend getting rid of it.

Sure, it's crusty, but I don't think it's ready for the scrap heap yet based on what you've posted (I'd still be pissed the dealer didn't disclose the issues).

I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like the shock piston broke, is the mounting point still there? Toyota OEM shocks can be had for ~$45 a piece, the emergency brake will need to be rebuilt but that's not uncommon, the bellcranks, cable, or both are seized. You'll need to patch up the brake lines and bleed the system, fix the hood latch, and find a competent muffler shop to fix the shoddy work. Once you're done with all of that, then you can start base-lining. :p

I'd be more worried about the potential big ticket items like the master cylinder, timing belt job, hub servicing, brakes and rotors. Why does your mechanic think the MC is on its way out?

Sure, it's crusty, but I don't think it's ready for the scrap heap yet based on what you've posted (I'd still be pissed the dealer didn't disclose the issues).

I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like the shock piston broke, is the mounting point still there? Toyota OEM shocks can be had for ~$45 a piece, the emergency brake will need to be rebuilt but that's not uncommon, the bellcranks, cable, or both are seized. You'll need to patch up the brake lines and bleed the system, fix the hood latch, and find a competent muffler shop to fix the shoddy work. Once you're done with all of that, then you can start base-lining. :p

I'd be more worried about the potential big ticket items like the master cylinder, timing belt job, hub servicing, brakes and rotors. Why does your mechanic think the MC is on its way out?
The shock piston just seemed to shear off. The mounting spot is there but there is no hole so it would have to be bored out I guess.

The mechanic was worried about the master cylinder based on the general condition of the brake and fuel lines.

Are those brake lines even patchable? Seems like I would need to get new lines (at least rear lines) entirely based on the level of corrosion.

Are those brake lines even patchable? Seems like I would need to get new lines (at least rear lines) entirely based on the level of corrosion.

Patched was probably the wrong choice of words, the rotten portions could be cut out replaced with new line. You could also buy the entire section from Toyota, but I expect that would cost more.

I do have some good news; that bushing looks fine to me!
IMG_1259.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom