Just another barn thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A lot has happened but no real updates. I have spent a considerable amount of time on the details and can just update as those actually happen.

I woke up this morning at 4 am to meet the big concrete rig and navigate them into position. I then went back to sleep for a few hours and woke up to the 11th concrete truck departing.

89567E99-6232-43C5-91FE-FF3E777806C4.jpeg

A few more trucks later and they were finished. Good start.

Looking good!

Can you give more info on the slab design? 11 trucks is 110 yards of concrete where I'm at. Your picture shows a nice slab, but smaller than I'd expect for that much concrete.

Looking good!

Can you give more info on the slab design? 11 trucks is 110 yards of concrete where I'm at. Your picture shows a nice slab, but smaller than I'd expect for that much concrete.
Sure. The total area is about 3450 square feet. The slab is 6" thick and I attached a photo of the footers that run throughout the slab. I also had a separate slab poured and it measures 12' x 24' and 8" thick. I have a couple of seed hoppers that will sit on that slab.

tempImage6iBGig.png

6" is very good

Sure. The total area is about 3450 square feet. The slab is 6" thick and I attached a photo of the footers that run throughout the slab. I also had a separate slab poured and it measures 12' x 24' and 8" thick. I have a couple of seed hoppers that will sit on that slab.

View attachment 3126403

Looks decent to me. For all the slabs you listed with monolithic foundations and the mid-slab footer I figured 80 yards on the heavy side. Hopefully you got some extra thick slabs and it wasn't a case where you paid for $4k of concrete you didn't get.

Don't mean to nit-pick. I enjoy concrete work and have done a lot of it. Look forward to your updates.

Some areas have lower weight limits for concrete trucks, or gunshy plant operators. Around here 8 yards a truck is typical.

Whatever the case, it looks like a pretty nice slab to me.

Looks decent to me. For all the slabs you listed with monolithic foundations and the mid-slab footer I figured 80 yards on the heavy side. Hopefully you got some extra thick slabs and it wasn't a case where you paid for $4k of concrete you didn't get.

Don't mean to nit-pick. I enjoy concrete work and have done a lot of it. Look forward to your updates.
There are multiple mid slab footers. The photo I posted was just an example of how the footer was run. The slab had to be pretty specific because the vast majority of Morton barns are built before the slab is poured. This one will obv be built on the slab. They are pleased so I am good.

The hardest part of this project is the waiting and waiting. There are also times of pure chaos and that sucks too. 10/10 do not recommend doing this. Ever.
Hard to disagree with this, however on a rare occasion something works out.

I was home today when the trusses were delivered. Windows confirmed to be delivered on 31st. Of course something will be off or the framers will walk off job after I threatened about drinking beer and throwing cans out on my driveway.

Hard to disagree with this, however on a rare occasion something works out.

I was home today when the trusses were delivered. Windows confirmed to be delivered on 31st. Of course something will be off or the framers will walk off job after I threatened about drinking beer and throwing cans out on my driveway.
My subs have not really been an issue. So far so good. And the Morton team has been amazing.

I am still 4-5 weeks from the barn materials delivery date. I was hoping to speed that up but I guess I should be happy it’s not longer. My windows are still in the March/April timeframe - ordered in June.

I’ve pretty much made all the decisions I can before the barn goes up. The remaining items are pretty well decided but I want to see how some stuff plays out before I finalize.

This week I’m worrying about the porch details and the sliding doors. I have a bunch of wood I had harvested and that’s being cut at the sawmill. The majority will be inside but I may use some for the porch ceiling. Also considering nixing the Morton sliding barn doors and have something custom built. I don’t know if that’s a good idea or not.

Oh and way way over budget. That’s my fault but nice stuff is expensive these days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom