Just a little corrosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
67 FJ40 with possibly stock engine. It hasn't run for 22 years. I want to revive it hopefully. The engine does turn from the crank bolt. But.... I could tell the thermostat housing was cracked. So I started taking the old hoses and belt off. Found all this...

20220502_185229.jpg
20220502_191337.jpg
20220502_184657.jpg

20220502_184433.jpg

20220502_120655.jpg

I flushed water from the water pump inlet and water did eventually pour out of the front water passage, it was rusty and dirty. Eventually ran clear. But there's still visible rust inside. I haven't tried flushing water from the rear water hose connection at the top of the head yet.

Is my engine likely terminal? Thoughts?

So just full-strength vinegar? Block it off somehow and let it soak or just pour it through?

Thanks for the help

A nice balsamic from Modena might convince the engine you really care?🤣

But seriously, I’d love to hear if vinegar would actually do anything? Never heard of doing that. At this point, it can’t hurt to try and run it after putting some sort of rust eating flush through it. Have you drained the oil out of it yet? If it does start and run, I’d keep a close eye on the temp. The amount of rust in there could mean something will break loose and possibly clog cooling galleries.

Do you have a local shop that could hot tank that thing?

...if you are going to pull it, that is.

Maybe, but I'm hoping to avoid taking it apart. Although that might be fun.

But seriously, I’d love to hear if vinegar would actually do anything? Never heard of doing that. At this point, it can’t hurt to try and run it after putting some sort of rust eating flush through it. Have you drained the oil out of it yet? If it does start and run, I’d keep a close eye on the temp. The amount of rust in there could mean something will break loose and possibly clog cooling galleries.
Maybe, but I'm hoping to avoid taking it apart. Although that might be fun.

Straight white vinegar would work just fine. It won't do as good as like evaporust but it will take out a lot of the crap. I would also for the first few "flushes" try to get the big chunks into a bucket so they don't get passed through the water pump and radiator. Like when flushing a transmission. Maybe pull the freeze plugs also and replace them. They are likely pin holed and there will be a lot behind them. I'd block the heater(s) and do those seperate.

I second pulling the freeze plugs. Most of the freeze plugs are easy access. Just change those for now. I might be inclined to be ready to change the water pump after you get the easy to access big chucks of rust , it's likely clogged up and shot anyway.

Use plain vinegar and hot water for a flush. I would say flush it it at least twice with vinegar and then try somthing from the auto parts store. Don't try to run it until you get clear water on the flush.

If it starts, bring it up to temperature, shut it down and flush again.

Do you have better picture of the over all thermostat housing? How about the valve cover and manifolds? As I remember the F135 that ran thru the 67 model has a long outlet neck on the top. Do not remember a thread fitting. If your trying to save the engine because it original would be sure that what you have.

You’ll need to pull the block drain and hopefully eventually get clear flow out that port.

Make a cover for that lower hose outlet that you can seal, then pour as much evaporust in from the thermostat hole till it’s full and let it do the work.

I’ve never seen a thermostat housing crack like that. The only plausible explanation I can think of is running straight water (which is consistent with the corrosion) and a freezing cycle that expanded the water in the housing until it split open.

I would be very leary of what a freeze cycle like that might have done to things that can’t be seen.☹️

Lower radiator outlet
20220502_120700.jpg

Thanks for all the constructive comments!

The truck sat for 22 years. Looks like somebody thought a disc brake conversion and spring over / shackle reversal would be a good idea. So it got parked. That's all I really know about it.

I suppose it could have frozen with straight water, but stored in Phoenix, possible I guess.

I was planning to see if it would even run just a little bit but I think I'm gonna put that on hold until I can clean out the water passages.

Good idea on the freeze plugs.

I already pulled the water pump and radiator. The water pump is a goner. Radiator might be saved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom