JT's 88 4 Runner Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update on this - 3 Link brackets showed up today. Guy on Pirate was getting rid of them at a great price and couldn't pass up.

3LinkBrackets.jpg

Still need coil overs, limit straps, and bump stops.

Dying to see some more updates! I ride (motorcycle) up through Rausch often on the 1st Sunday of every month - how far away are you? I'd love to stop by and see your work in person. PM or email me if you'd be down with that.

Money and time are the only things holding me back at this point :) Hoping to take care of one of those issues here in the next few weeks.

Link bungs and panhard joints came in the other day. Been working on our FJ40 for the most part and helping a buddy with a SAS on a 96 Tacoma, so this got pushed to the back for a bit.

I am about 45 minutes or so from Rausch. I'll shoot you a PM.

Last edited:
This project is getting a bit closer to being ready to start. Picked up a set of used 12" 2.0 Sway-A-Way Coilovers for a smoking price
SwayAWayCoilovers_zps53459f89.jpg

Messing around with them quickly, they are in really good shape, shafts are clean and straight, no leaks, mounts have the mis-alignment spacers and the spherical bearing rotates nicely, reservoir hose is in good shape and the threads on the shock body are perfect.

Ordering up dual rate kits next and then springs. Plan is to run 175# over 250# - should be pretty close.

Had a minor set back with the coilovers. They were advertised as 2.0's, so that is what I purchased dual rate kits and coils for, went to install everything and it wouldn't fit because the coilover body is bigger than the hardware. Son of a bitch, turns out I have 2.5 coilovers, I should have measured before ordering parts.

All the 2.0 parts have been sent back and are being refunded. 2.5 parts are enroute along with seal kits, wear bands, and shock oil. One of my buddies is going to go over them, give them a rebuild along with verifying what valving they currently have and making the appropriate adjustments, and install the shaft mounted bumpstops I have for them. Should be pretty much new once done.

Picked up a set of triple rate kits off Pirate the other day. May use them, may not, but couldn't pass them up for the price.
TripleRateKits_zps63f45336.jpg

Ok, so your parts pile is looking almost complete, when might we look forward to some surgery? Gonna run this season and start cutting in the fall? I am really looking forward to seeing your CO SAS build up. That is what I want under my 88 eventually.

Yep nearly complete. We went out last weekend and the IFS is still holding together, so it will likely go under the knife this fall. I have a few more parts coming in this week to make the coilover mounts and the lower link frame mounts.

Had a few more parts come in such as the lower frame mounts for the lower links that I got from Barnes4wd along with some shock mount tabs. These are his 10 degree mounts, which should work nicely.
Framemount1_zpsf7dcef5d.jpg

Framemount2_zpsc11ea8a5.jpg

Here is a picture of the shaft mounted bumpstops I picked up at the GM dealer for a Chevy Malibu
ShaftBumps_zpsf3e4b848.jpg

And finally a pair of 14" 250 pound lower springs from PAC Racing Springs that I found on Ebay for half price. They are brand new.
PAC250Springs_zpsf774bd83.jpg

Overall this project is on hold until I finish the FJ40 swap and wheeling season is over. Addy and I got out last month and she made a list of things that she wants to do to teh truck to make it more user friendly to her and faster :)

Last edited:
Ever since I installed the Corbeau Baja SS seats in the front of the 4 Runner, they felt too short, headrest at my neck and no chance of using the harness slot. They do however fit my daughter perfectly with a booster base. So I have been on the lookout for some new front seats and found a guy selling some slightly used Corbeau Baja Ultras for a song.
photo-2_zpsd83d8403.jpg

Going to hit them with some fabric paint from Duplicolor to make them black again and they will bolt right in and get me a headrest that works and be able to use the harness slots. The Baja SS's will be moved to the back and replace the folding bench seat so that my daughter can sit back there with a friend and be in a harness versus the lap belt that is there now.

Took a little time this afternoon and fixed up the Corbeau Ultra's. Turned out pretty decent. Next is to swap them out with the Baja SS's.
Seats2_zps3c799e62.jpg

Not much has been going on with this rig, has been sitting since the last trip out, but I have been getting a few parts. Picked up a slightly used Aussie locker for the front axle last week, couldn't beat the price. Also picked up a set of Longfields to finish out the front axle.

Picked up a set of Longfield Chromo hub gears for use with IFS hubs to go along with the 30splines. I figured go with hubs versus the drive flanges I have now in hopes of putting the 4 Runner back on the road in the future. Only worry now with the front axle is the pinion since it is a coarse spline. Going to keep an eye out for a fine spline diff.

I have been doing a little bit to get the front axle ready for the SAS. When I first built the axle I was going to run leaf springs and regular hysteer running 3/4" heim joints, but with the 3 link, I wanted the steering much lower, so here is what I came up with.
I took two pair of stock steering arms, mounted one set on top like regular and flipped the other set side to side.
image_zpsa325ca89.jpeg

Obvioudly they don't line up, so I cut, bent, and welded them so that they would. I used a 5/8" bolt to align everything. Single sheer wouldn't have been good enough, so I started to make the top where the drag link connects double sheer.
image3_zpsff109e73.jpeg

image2_zpsfa807ca8.jpeg

I also wanted to put the draglink in double sheer, so I added some 5/8" I.D. chromoly tube and got this as the final setup.
image7_zps28a37cf6.jpeg

image6_zps992d6da1.jpeg

image5_zps74698cb4.jpeg

Will install them next and get the tie rod cut to length.
I also came across a killer deal on a set of 5.29 gears for the front axle, so I picked them up and will be getting a solid pinion spacer next.
image4_zps8ac52e27.jpeg

One other change that came about in anticipation of running this on the road, was I picked up a set of OG 37" MT/Rs that are near new.
image1_zpsfb14ec1a.jpeg

Nice work on the knuckles. I like the double shear setup. I can't wait to see when the cutting starts! And those are some good looking welds.

Thanks. Going to help a buddy with his 4Runner swap with an FJ80 axle first to learn a few things. Welding is still a bit rusty since I haven't touched the welder in a few months, but seemed to burn in nice for flux core.

Hey Jeff, how you been?

Unfortunately it hasn't been out in over a year since the rear springs finally gave up. Kids are in sports all year round, oldest is playing soccer and field hockey. House projects took over too with the pool, patio, and kitchen redo. Finally work has me running all over the state with different projects. Ready to fire the FJ40 swap any day now too. With any luck I wired it right :)

Good news though, I have a spot opened up in the shop to start working on it again, along with another set of coilovers for the back. Soon time to take a week off and get it cut apart and rebuilt.

Doin really well JT! We have our four kids who are 4, 6, 8, and 10. Between piano, soccer, basketball, et cet we are busy to say the least. Sounds like you are in the same routine.

I haven't gotten out wheelin as much either but I've shuffled rigs again. Presently I have my BJ45 trayback and a rust free 89' 4Runner which brings me to your thread

Would you do anything different?

Hey Jeff, how you been?

Unfortunately it hasn't been out in over a year since the rear springs finally gave up. Kids are in sports all year round, oldest is playing soccer and field hockey. House projects took over too with the pool, patio, and kitchen redo. Finally work has me running all over the state with different projects. Ready to fire the FJ40 swap any day now too. With any luck I wired it right :)

Good news though, I have a spot opened up in the shop to start working on it again, along with another set of coilovers for the back. Soon time to take a week off and get it cut apart and rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom