Joint Fuji Tie Rod End Kit- Grease Fittings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased the Joint Fuji Tie Rod End Kit from cruiserparts.net, but can't figure out how they're supposed to be greased/if they're supposed to be greased. They don't seem to have zerk fittings.

If a tie rod end doesn't have a grease zerk, then it doesn't need to be greased.

I believe the JF have stopped making the TRE and RRE kit with holes for a grease zerk. 555 still does, though.

So, on further review, these are 555 parts. The relays seem to have zerks, but I don’t see any on the ends. Recommendations?

Paint the stuff and install it. If there is no provision for a zerk it’s pre lubed and sealed. Someone out there has calculated that the presence of a grease zerk isn’t going to add to the lifespan of the end.

Paint the stuff and install it. If there is no provision for a zerk it’s pre lubed and sealed.

While the 555 ends are sealed from the factory and pre-greased, isn't it possible to replace the little plug with a zerk fitting if you wanted to be able to add grease to the end down the road? Or am I wrong here? I have the 555 ends and admittedly have not looked at this myself but I thought I had seen posts where folks have done it. Maybe the end is not threaded such that it can't use a threaded zerk?

Last edited:
While the 555 ends are sealed from the factory and pre-greased, isn't it possible to replace the little plug with a zerk fitting if you wanted to be able to add grease to the end down the road? Or am I wrong here? I have the 555 ends and admittedly have not looked at this myself but I thought I had seen posts where folks have done it. Maybe the end is not threaded such that is can't use a threaded zerk?

It sounds like maybe the 555 end has changed? But yes, certainly you can add a zerk. If there is a rubber plug, it doesn’t need to be threaded, the zerk will bite and thread in. You can even drill the tin cap and add a zerk if you want.

The new 555 ends are threaded for a zerk but have a screw install instead. appantely don’t need greased.

From Cruiser Outfitters

FAQ: Do I need Zerk (grease) fittings on my new tie rod ends? What don't the new ones have them?
Japanese manufacture 555 no longer ships their tie-rod-end kits with Zerk fittings pre-installed. They cite the fact that far too many users in fact over-grease the joints and cause the boots to fail. Once the boots fail, the joint life is greatly reduced. If you're the type that likes to grease your joints on occasion and are comfortable with the fact you won't over grease them an blow the boot, simply swap the Zerk fittings from your old joints to the new set. Alternatively you can source the Zerk fittings's from a hardware or auto parts store. Otherwise, the joints come pre-greased and are ready for installation."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom