Jmanscotch’s Daily Driver & Weekender Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stopped by the metal shop after work and picked up the little bit more tube and expanded metal I needed.

I wanted to fab the drivers side of the carrier as a big square, to install the expanded metal on and act as a nice mock-molle panel, but the square design would’ve lead to really tight loading clearances with the tire, so I opted to angle it like the passenger side and live with less storage space.

Might paint tomorrow, but taking a break to get some chores done around the house and will try to finish up this weekend.

C89D5D3C-7618-45F1-A686-4539847A0259.jpeg

Your little Lincoln welder looks like it puts down some nice dime rolls!

I’m really liking the Lincoln. I started with a Hobart welder and thought it was ok, but after a few years using it, I just couldn’t help think there was a bit better for the price range.

A friend, who’s an actual race car fabricator, suggested this entry level Lincoln 140 and in the last few months, I’ve been very pleased with it.

@r2m you weld some too?

I’m a very amateur welder, but I like this one. It does what it needs to do…when I use it right, I think it’s a great hobby welder.

Here’s a closer up of my attempt at sloppy dimes. Thankfully, I’m not trying to earn a living with these welds and have plenty to learn still, but have enjoyed learning thus far and think it’s good enough for the type of projects I want to tackle, like this carrier.

40899794-8656-445D-BD03-E1AD830567FA.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a "splatter" MIG welder along with a combo TIG and Plasma cutter.
Unfortunately I don't have 220 in my garage, only 120 so I can't really use it right now. Some time ago I did purchase a 10,000 watt gas generator that I used for the 220 VDC to weld with, but I live in a very tight (physically, buildings right next to each other with almost zero property lines) neighborhood so running a generator and welding, then grinding doesn't go over to well if you're doing it too long. So I haven't pulled out my welding gear in years. At my best I was only an amateur. When I built the roof/shell rack for my F350 overlander, I used 1" round tubing and bent it with my JD Squared tube bender, tacked it all together with my welder and then took it to a "real" welder to do all the welds around the round tubing. It's easy to weld in a straight line, but doing nice welds all the way around tubing takes a lot of practice.

Well, wrong color carpet came in and the nice and wide tire strap is still delayed, so I painted the carrier, covered contact points with some felt for squeak management and installed it with a temporary strap for a little test run.

A33A3BF8-1774-4A25-96A3-DA9CC6F71EF8.jpeg

A6615598-F2B1-4434-B78C-32E883AE1855.jpeg

Went well with one exception; the weight of the tire moving over bumps/turns makes the front unsecured edge of the platform bend a bit, so it seems I do need more than two platform securing points. I’ll have to figure out how to attach it as I don’t have a rivet gun.

I also got around to installing my Blue Sea USB outlet with @THEOZMAN sweet connectors that make it an absolute breeze and clean install.

Drivers side is USB and passenger side will run the ARB air compressor.

20D004E8-275E-4E2A-A2F2-0EB636CD17C3.jpeg

68C7E1E3-3B7D-4AD6-8A04-4D7B2886E9AE.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, wrong color carpet came in and the nice and wide tire strap is still delayed, so I painted the carrier, covered contact points with some felt for squeak management and installed it with a temporary strap for a little test run.

View attachment 2701295View attachment 2701296

Went well with one exception; the weight of the tire moving over bumps/turns makes the front unsecured edge of the platform bend a bit, so it seems I do need more than two platform securing points. I’ll have to figure out how to attach it as I don’t have a rivet gun.

I also got around to installing my Blue Sea USB outlet with @THEOZMAN sweet connectors that make it an absolute breeze and clean install.

Drivers side is USB and passenger side will run the ARB air compressor.

View attachment 2701297
Glad they are working out for you. Please be carefull of the amp draw of the ARB air compressor. If it's at 20 amp or under, I would recommend changing the 30A fuse in the fuse box under the hood to a 25A since it will be running at a high power for a some time while inflating tires. Let me know if you need an help

Glad they are working out for you. Please be carefull of the amp draw of the ARB air compressor. If it's at 20 amp or under, I would recommend changing the 30A fuse in the fuse box under the hood to a 25A since it will be running at a high power for a some time while inflating tires. Let me know if you need an help

Indeed. I planned to measure current draw under load and double check everything’s happy with the length, gauge, heat dissipation, etc when it gets here, but very wise tip on the fuse.

Regarding the flexing you're getting with the spare mount, is it the plywood flexing or is the metal frame you made flexing?
I think either way, if you add one diagonal support rod from the top of your metal frame down to the the bottom of the drivers side plywood, basically down along the back of the the middle seat, that should mitigate any flexing on turns.
As an example, how racers use to add a diagonal brace behind their head rests on race cars.

It’s the plywood flexing up in the center, near the 2nd row seat back. The tire weight and it’s mounting points are just too much leverage when I shake it by hand.

Not too surprising, I was pushing it by only securing it with two bolts and knew I might end up having to add more, so no worries.

Joined some friends for a quick camping trip last night, did 20+ miles of washboard roads and another several generally off-road and it didn’t seem to move much, though I’ll still secure it more.

E976C749-7688-4ADF-8ADB-32792631C551.jpeg
E2DE5531-684A-4A20-BED5-47C9B62CB351.jpeg

Last edited:
I HATE washboard roads, even when aired down. I feel like I'm rattling my vehicle apart!! It just feels wrong.

Indeed, we have several around here and I dread them.

Sadly, I didn’t even get to air down, sold the PowerTank and am getting word that the ARB compressor isn’t coming as thought either. Everything is seemingly in high demand and out of stock status..which sucks. Gonna do what I can to complete some orders and refocus for the time being.

Thanks @r2m, now my MUD ads are all “Hobart & Lincoln MIG Welders” from Northern Tools 🤪

Anyways, it’s a good time to divulge that I love electrical wiring jobs. It’s a part of my job I get paid adult money to doand I find joy in being color blind and only truly knowing if I’ve guessed the colors right by powering it all on and seeing if I let the smoke out of the wiring.

D19B80BB-1C58-435D-B5D4-89DDA25D8695.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
The wife wasn’t thrilled with the idea of the compressor inside the cabin, so plans changed and I ordered the Rago Fab compressor mount.

Installed it all today, put a Blue Sea fuse block on the unused portion of the mount (since I’m running the baby single ARB compressor) and rewired my ditch lights to the junction box as well.

Installed the compressor switch inside the engine bay as well as I didn’t have a slot available inside that’d fit the switch.

What do you guys do to prevent debris collecting in the compressor outlet hookup when the air hose isn’t in there? Like a little sock cover or something?

1B848301-3030-45BA-B25C-A54D2D68E074.jpeg

5B894978-9F4C-425C-B7B7-10BBECFFC633.jpeg

The wife wasn’t thrilled with the idea of the compressor inside the cabin, so plans changed and I ordered the Rago Fab compressor mount.

Installed it all today, put a Blue Sea fuse block on the unused portion of the mount (since I’m running the baby single ARB compressor) and rewired my ditch lights to the junction box as well.

Installed the compressor switch inside the engine bay as well as I didn’t have a slot available inside that’d fit the switch.

What do you guys do to prevent debris collecting in the compressor outlet hookup when the air hose isn’t in there? Like a little sock cover or something?

View attachment 2708752
View attachment 2708754
First, good call not having it in the cabin! For me, too noisy, especially when I'm airing up tires for 10 minutes with my wife in the cab waiting.
I have my compressor in the same location and have not had any issues with the quick release and were we live, off roading is usually very dusty.
If you really want to, just get a male nipple/connector and cap the end of it. Stick it into your female compressor connector and call it done! Or you can keep your hose plugged in.
If you go to my build thread I have some photos of what I've done:
Start at post #65 and then go down the page to post #79, where I keep my hose attachments.

No mods this weekend, just camping and exploring with the wife while she’s still up for it. Took off work Friday and headed out.

Started around Breckinridge but found the name Mosquito Gulch was accurate, and a little high in elevation for her, so changed course and ended up outside of Buena Vista at a great little spot.

Wife is a big fan of airing tires down (for comfort) and even took on airing back up duty, drove some trails herself and was a trooper for being 5 months pregnant. Great trip, enjoying the rain and views.

58C795CD-460E-48EB-A634-1CD870C39692.jpeg
38D176CC-BD90-4165-AF1D-7434F6B39BA6.jpeg
CD7A3DA2-3048-4661-B94A-CBE399C0B550.jpeg
6596FACA-3580-43B4-8F90-71797460DB25.jpeg

No mods this weekend, just camping and exploring with the wife while she’s still up for it. Took off work Friday and headed out.

Started around Breckinridge but found the name Mosquito Gulch was accurate, and a little high in elevation for her, so changed course and ended up outside of Buena Vista at a great little spot.

Wife is a big fan of airing tires down (for comfort) and even took on airing back up duty, drove some trails herself and was a trooper for being 5 months pregnant. Great trip, enjoying the rain and views.

View attachment 2714951View attachment 2714952View attachment 2714953View attachment 2714954
Yep, my wife likes to drive the trails also! That's why she has a 4x4 Taco with the factory e-locker (everything else is stock).
The problem is that we enjoy each others company so much that we like to drive together (side by side), so I sometimes have to turn the wheel over to her.
But as they say, "Happy wife, happy life!"

Mine’s a city gal, still newer to the off road world (well, 10 years exposed, since we met) but likes to get her toes wet sometimes and I’m hopeful her enjoyment of driving off road grows. For the most part she greatly enjoys the sightseeing while I drive and I enjoy driving, so it works.

Pretty funny story though from our first date. Her being a New York City girl, I decided to end the date by taking her to a little local spot for some quick ‘showing off’. Proceeded to get stuck and have to strip down to get a tow strap on the Jeep hours later after my buddy finally made it to us.

The only picture I have from out first date a decade ago…my Jeep stuck and her texting her friends back in New York, “this guys an idiot and it’s not going to work out”….jokes on her!

0DBE4FAB-544F-4C84-9935-225E3193A671.jpeg

• Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom