JK Customs Prototype FJ62 Winch Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LIve to ski,
I understand about crush panels and breakaway parts. But were not dealing with high speed collisions in a LC not even medium speed collisions. I was really just giving that guy a hard time and 90% kidding, but I do think that a front bumper is important for wheeling and the stock bumper for low speed collision protection on the road or off is p a th e t ic. I really like the idea of a heavy duty bumper that has high lift jack points cut into the ends!! That would be nice. :beer:

Live to Ski

I am also on the fence on the subject. I think that is why if I end up going with a bumper at all I will go with the ARB. They have sold me on the research that has gone into that bumper to avoid the frame bending on impact.

I still think that it is impossible to avoid, but i have stopped talks with my fabrication buddy on the subject because of the issue. Despite how awesome a bumper JK has created.

How would you fab a bumper that would avoid a frame bend in medium range impact (35 mph)?

I think you would have to mock a front end with a bumper protype with differnet weld/cut/bolt strengths and then propel it at an angle at a brick wall. Maybe push the protypes with your rig then hit the brakes at some point and consider any decrease in speed as standard deviation. The ends of the bumper would then have a 35MPH breaking point. THe problem is mocking a front end that is hte same weight as your rig. the kinetic energy the bumper is absorbing is going to change as the weight of the vehicle does. Also don't for get the incline oh yeah and the speed of the other vehicle.. and the...

Very complex, better call those car talk guys. :cheers:

Love to see a pic of that bent ARB. Didn't know they did that at low speed wheelin'. How fast were ya goin?

Fearnofish! said:
Love to see a pic of that bent ARB. Didn't know they did that at low speed wheelin'. How fast were ya goin?

I saw it happen once. Was wheeling with a guy in a 70 series with an ARB bumper. After a day in the woods, on our way out we noticed one wing bent up into his front valance panel. Didn't even notice it happen...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

Fearnofish! said:
Wasn't a very exciting picture, $200 at the frame shop straitened it right out. I should note this was on an 80 which weighs a bit more - but the simple fact is an ARB isn't as bulletproof as everyone seems to think. They look good and are relatively inexpensive for the protection they offer, but I'd be willing to bet Mark could drop that 62 on the wing all day w/o bending it ... I've seen Jason’s products in person. Off-road you want over-built ...

Tucker

BTW: happend while locked in low range ... so less than 1MPH.

Don't know where I heard this, it's my understanding that the ARB's are designed to handle collisions with kangaroos at speed (don't know how fast). It may not be pretty, but the truck probably will function.

FJ60-Hokie: Didn't mean to talk you out of it, it was just a concern I had. I guess it really boils down to what you want the bumper to do. As far as design is concerned, I think the railroad tie might work for me as it can really take a hit on a trail, may break but easy to replace. In a on the road collision, it would definately absorb energy, I don't know how well the truck would survive. Most street bumpers are designed for the 5-10 mph collision anyway. The kind you might see in a mall parking lot. I'm pretty sure the railroad tie would work there.

How exactly does the railroad tie work? Maybe a stupid questions......... I am picturing it to be bolt on to the frame? Is that how the tie works?

I'm thinking that a decent welded winch frame in between the frame rails. Then maybe an upper and lower tie above/below the roller fairleads bolted to this. These might extend out on either side to protect fenders (or at least the upper one). This would also serve as a "soft" push area (kind of like tow truck front bumpers). Railroad ties might be overkill. You could size out the lumber such that any lift point could handle say 2x the desired lift load. Wood strength data is available in engineering text such as mark's.

Just an idea.

So what's the update on this custom bumper?

Finally got the bumper on! headed out of town, I'll try to post up some more shots before I leave. I also got a rear bumper tp match!

bumper.jpg

So, how much did it cost, and can you make one for my 60? I LOVE THAT LOOK, but no vendors make one that I like.

:beer:

Price, please, with and without the tube bars...
And could you post up some photos from the top to see the winch and shelf?

Last edited:
Bump for more info, please...
I'm getting quotes for a custom fab job by a local dude, based on the pervious stinger-less version, but the corners are less angled and no point. Also, no inset lights, no license plate holes, no foglights...just a stripped down, more spartan version, and with the D-ring mounts through the bumper and bolted to the frame, not face-welded to the C channel.
prototype.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom