Jim C alternatives for dizzy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

midknightc3

SILVER Star
Threads
He's a busy man, and I mean no disrespect with my post. That said, I need my factory 1986 FJ60 dizzy recurved and haven't been able to reach Jim for a couple months now. Current setup is fully de-smoged, Holley Sniper 2300, and DUI HEI dizzy. Works ok, but a few months ago the DUI s*** the ignition control module leaving me stranded on a FS road. Easy fix, but I was on a Sunday drive and didn't have a spare ECM in the truck. Exciting sled ride story later, coasted the truck all the way home with short stretches of towing from a friend up the hills and have decided I really don't want to deal with replacing the ECM in the field if I were on a trip. This brings me back to my OEM dizzy, does anyone else do proper recurves? What if I just did the generic recurve using springs I put in myself? Ultimately I am after reliability more than performance as the truck is used for some pretty remote travel both around the S West and outside the country.

Thanks!
Clark

Have you run it without a recurve? See how it does. Mine ran fine without a recurve.

Last edited:
He's a busy man, and I mean no disrespect with my post. That said, I need my factory 1986 FJ60 dizzy recurved and haven't been able to reach Jim for a couple months now. Current setup is fully de-smoged, Holley Sniper 2300, and DUI HEI dizzy. Works ok, but a few months ago the DUI s*** the ignition control module leaving me stranded on a FS road. Easy fix, but I was on a Sunday drive and didn't have a spare ECM in the truck. Exciting sled ride story later, coasted the truck all the way home with short stretches of towing from a friend up the hills and have decided I really don't want to deal with replacing the ECM in the field if I were on a trip. This brings me back to my OEM dizzy, does anyone else do proper recurves? What if I just did the generic recurve using springs I put in myself? Ultimately I am after reliability more than performance as the truck is used for some pretty remote travel both around the S West and outside the country.

Thanks!
Clark

if your looking for a LONG TERM Reliability ?

- you CAN have your OEM Cake and eat it too , that is if you do not have to still go through a SMOG inspection in your home state .......

- i have hooked up so far three 8/80 - 9/87 , 2F FJ40 / FJ60 's with the BEST of all 7 wonders of your possible 100% Genuine
NipponDenso Japan Spec. KIT FORM Product package Parts ...

- i DO personally hand build each kit in-house , including the SNOW-VERSION Spec. ALL weather protection SEALED SYSTEM main COIL to Distributor itself

- all JAPAN sourced electrical connectors are " SPLASH - PROOF " and all service terminals have OEM YAZAKI TRICK weather boots affixed securely to them

- these are only a few tid bits in the total big window picture of my design features and engineering PIPE - DREAM from pencil and paper to reality

- in summery :

- 1 big all parts u need plug and play kit form product ,

- ( Minus Spark Plugs because they change a bit as the 2F engine evolved from 1/75-9/87 .... )

- one kit from one place , NO piece meal BULL SH#T chasing around this and that for no good reason

- all oem NEW parts ......

- even includes a new dizzy clamp and its DISC. NLA short M8 x 12mm long mounting SEMS bolt , ..........

- last time i checked i was still the only NITCH Land Cruiser Parts Specialty Concierge Service provider whom both offers stand alone and , included in my DREAM-KIT
a oem coil w/ period correct mounting bracket assy. that can mount on inner fender passenger side or .............

- Inverted upside down on the rear of the cylinder head traditional style too ..... :cool:

- Below is BOTH a Comprehensive TECH. Video i produced that strictly focuses on the kit , and also as you begin to understand and realize the full potential of ...

Part # 19270-60010 which is a Premium Genuine Quality SKUNK-WORKS OEM Parts KIT

- and your step by step installation instructions as well all rolled into one little KOYO ball Bearing format as well ..

- please take a moment and make the time to sit back and take in a 2022 model year , fresh new progressive and modern skool of thought approach to
a decades old need till present day .......

thanks for your continued support

Kindly matt :)

Last edited:
You can do the “Dave” recurve (link below).

I've personally driven this exact setup from Dave (@roadstr6) as he was kind enough to loan me one of his personal dizzys for 4 months while Jim C was recurving my dizzy after my desmog. I put >1500 miles on Dave's including road-tripping the truck from NC to GSMTR and driving trails all week and lots of in town driving. After driving both back to back, I like Dave's recurve...a lot...to the point where I'm trying to get my hands on another OEM distributor to do this exact thing to and keep my Jim C on the shelf as a backup. I have been meaning to do a write up of the comparison between the two as I'm probably the only one who has driven both back to back to this extent but haven't had time. Maybe I'll add the writeup to my build thread sometime soon...

The obvious downside to using this home brew recurve vs. Jim's is that Jim completely goes through your dizzy for you and makes it function the best it can prior to the recurve. Cleans it, rebuilds it, etc. which would now fall on you to do if so desired.

Now don't get me wrong, Jim's recurve is buttery smooth and a great option, but Dave's write up below is a fantastic alternative.

Dave's method

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies! Just got back from a good campout, and after driving the truck all weekend I'm hot to trot to work on the few remaining to do's before we head south of the border this winter. Hookie LX, I will be studying up on the Dave recurve and likely ordering parts. ToyotaMatt, I'll be talking to you later today about this cold weather setup!

Thanks again!
Clark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom