JF 40 Block Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did FJ 40's ever come with block heaters?

Anyone put one in their 2F?

Straylight

Mine came with a block heater. The PO's father was the original owner so it may have been stock. Not sure. It's a 6" long by ~1 1/2" diameter cylindrical heating element installed inline in a heater hose with a standard 110V power cord. I removed it when I did the engine swap because it looks like a fire waiting to happen. And in all my years in Montana I've needed a block heater exactly once, and that was in the high plains of Wyoming! :)

I have one (nonfunctional) like that, too. Always wondered if it was stock. Sounds like it is.

The FJ that I currently have is from Wyoming and the PO had installed a block heater in it. I am going to remove it because I won't need it where I live. Are you looking for pics or advice for how well they work or...?

Sport

I have one installed on an 80FJ40 it came with the truck and has a male plug in on the fender apron, looks like an outdoor type. I am sure this is not stock It may sound cheesee but it looks good and no matter what people always feel the need to open the dam thing up. I have used it and it does help. let me know if you need info.
MJM

Hello:

Yes, FJ's came with block heaters depending on where they were sold. I believe that they were dealer add-ons. You can still pick up a block heater from your dealer for 2F engines. They are easily installed; and they do make a big difference in northern climates.

Mike

I got one last year at the dealer and put it in my '78. If my dealer had it, any of them will. It is easy to install, it just goes in place of the freeze plug(2nd back from the front) and is quite necessary in Montana. 50 below zero last week in West Yellowstone. :-* It was around $20.

The only problem with a block heater is it heats the coolant, so when you start to crank the motor over your trying to push the cold, stiff oil out of the pan. My vote is for a heater that glues on to the oil pan, that heats the oil than heat rises and warms the block. Just my 2 cents and thats probably all its worth.

i got one and its nice...you dont need to install it in any specific freeze plug. mine is in the front one (easiest) and it works swell.

-Max

the oil ones kick ass, but the dealer ones are hard to beat for 20 bucks, they are well worth that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom