Japanese 4.7L engine better than USA made? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Silly question....

Have any of the mechanics (or statistics) also looked into who owned and operated the vehicles? There are far more Tundra/Sequioa's than LC100 series. The Landcruiser guys tend to be a bit more fanatical about maintenance, care, and "baselining" when buying used. Landcruisers tend to fetch more money, and as such, much more likely to be far better cared for.

It's not a tit for tat comparison, but an AE86 (mid 80s Corolla, front engine, rear wheel drive) and an AW11 (late 80s mid engine/rwd)... the AE86's fetch a much higher dollar figure - and those that have the same engine (the GTS) are even more rare - and fetch yet even more. It's more likely for an AE86 to have the original engine than an AW11 - as the AW11s are (or at least were) far less expensive used, pushed harder, and maintained by those who buy less expensive (but fun) cars.

So I wonder if much of this has to do with 'who' owns the car and less about the build quality variances between the 2.

As a side note - I doubt the oil squirters (the oil jets as referred to above) are for initial, when cold, piston slap. The highest amount of friction takes place when the car is cold and being cranked - largely in part because oil pressure isn't built up yet and tolerances are larger. The reference above says it has a low pressure limit where they aren't activated. So the point at which there is the highest chance of wear, those aren't spraying oil.

Silly question....

Have any of the mechanics (or statistics) also looked into who owned and operated the vehicles? There are far more Tundra/Sequioa's than LC100 series. The Landcruiser guys tend to be a bit more fanatical about maintenance, care, and "baselining" when buying used. Landcruisers tend to fetch more money, and as such, much more likely to be far better cared for.

It's not a tit for tat comparison, but an AE86 (mid 80s Corolla, front engine, rear wheel drive) and an AW11 (late 80s mid engine/rwd)... the AE86's fetch a much higher dollar figure - and those that have the same engine (the GTS) are even more rare - and fetch yet even more. It's more likely for an AE86 to have the original engine than an AW11 - as the AW11s are (or at least were) far less expensive used, pushed harder, and maintained by those who buy less expensive (but fun) cars.

So I wonder if much of this has to do with 'who' owns the car and less about the build quality variances between the 2.
I asked the question if seeing more of one than the other, they said no about 50/50. Also one must keep in mind, only some Tundras had the 4.7L. With the 100 series they all had 4.7L

I don't look/inspect Tundras or Sequoias, but do look at (inspect) a lot of LC & LX470's. You'd be surprised at how under maintain some are. Many series 100 owners bought with the false idea they don't need to be maintained. One down the street from me, bought off the showroom floor in 1998. He never even had coolant flushed or Timing belt done in 250K miles. He as many I've seen just fix when breaks. One said to me why would I maintain, I'll not get more for in the end.

The mechanics also said they've no idea why this happens metals, oil, tolerance or what. They just said they see problems in the USA made Tundra & Sequoia w/4.7L that they aren't in the Land Cruiser.

As a side note - I doubt the oil squirters (the oil jets as referred to above) are for initial, when cold, piston slap. The highest amount of friction takes place when the car is cold and being cranked - largely in part because oil pressure isn't built up yet and tolerances are larger. The reference above says it has a low pressure limit where they aren't activated. So the point at which there is the highest chance of wear, those aren't spraying oil.
They made some change to the pistons and bearings at same time as adding the oil jet. Bearing where environmental reasons, piston was slight design changes to accommodate VVT heads. The jet must have to do with lubricate piston sleeves & wrist pin. Was it out of concern dealing with slap, IDK. But would seems so!

These jet are in USA and Japanese made. Here a 08 2UZ-fe from japan.
2UZ 4Runner 178a.jpg

I'm venturing over from the 100 series of ih8mud, on a fact finding mission. Where it's long been said that the 2UZ-fe VVt or non VVt made in Japan are a better built engine than the USA built. The forum and a few local mechanics have point to several issues with the USA made engine.

Is there any truth to what they are saying:

All Tundra and Sequoia 4.7L are made in USA?
USA made have weaker connecting rods that are not forged?
Tundra and Sequoia 4.7L develop a piston slap?

I'd like to clear the air once and for all on where the components for the Tundra and Sequoia 4.7L engine are:

Forged?
Machined?
Assembled?
Difference?
Looser tolerances?

I have a 2005 Tundra DC 4.7 4WD ATM , I purchased from a Original owner / 1 Owner . It's a Darrell Waltrip Edition package

or " Was " before I De-Nascar'd it inside anD out , ( but that's a fact filled story for a later time . )

I was replacing both valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and while using a mirror on a stick , on the back sides of the cylinder

heads up by the fire wall . I have a YAMAHA Tuning Forks Logo cast into / on each head

This leads me to believe I have a JDM made 4.7 , perhaps engine was replaced when truck was under factory warranty with a

crate engine long block made in japan ?

or , one slipped through the assembly line and they were not ground off like i know toyota does on other engine family's

Does anyone with Japan made 4runner 4.7 or Land Cruiser 4.7 have or seen the YAMAHA Tuning forks anywhere on the heads or block ?

- Its seams YAMAHA designed & built some of the the 4.7's .................

I will be trying to take photos with a mirror on a stick of My 2005 Tundra Tuning Forks , But in the mean time here are some

photos of Other Toyota YAMAHA Engines that lend facts to my theory .....

3sgte_4_TIQ_PakWheels(com).jpg
DSC_1539.JPG
index44.jpg

First, I must say: Just because some USA made 4.7L have report issue, does not mean they are all bad. The 1 million mile engine was USA built!

I've two set heads I can go look at for comparison. Can you post any picture of a "YAMAHA Tuning forks", not sure what to look for?

You should have a VIN # on RH head. It's a black looking metal strip riveted to the head, center, below valve cover. It will match you fame VIN, body VIN amd door plate VIN numbers. If not you've replacement head(s).

Block may or may not be original. It doesn't have a VIN, so difficult to say..
There's a serial number on block under front water bypass. It has 2UZ stamp just above the serial number. I can't tell you how to decipher this number. If anyone knows please speak up?

Examples:
Block serial #
08 4Runner block number.JPG
Head VIN #
002.JPG

Yamaha was hired/partnered with to create most of the V series Toyota engines, starting with the 3.4l motor, including the 4.7 which leads me to believe this is why they ended up in marine applications.

This is what I recall from years past, might be foggy on some of these details

When I say "V" series I'm referring to v-6 or v-8 FYI

I only see "L" on LH head and "R" with 11 under that on RH head, on a 07 series 100 with J VIN, mfg date 2006.
I only see "L" on LH head and "R" with 12 under that on RH head, on 08 4runner with J VIN.

I don't see "Y" or this symbol:
Yamaha-logo-880x660.png

There is one more serial number on rear of block top RH. I really hope someone can shed light on these numbers???:hmm:
Back side Engine 08 4Runner 2UZ-fe VVt-i (5).jpg

Keep in mind we don't know where Toyota gets these parts (blocks, heads, rods, pistons, valves & springs, etc) for the 2UZ or a least I don't.

There is a mud member that holds himself out as a "parts expert", but he seem reluctant to shed any light on these engines/parts source(s). I suppose he just doesn't know or you'd think he'd at least ask for $$ for the info, IDK.

But I did find statements that the USA plants machined them. The issues of piston slap after warm up and broken rods. Maybe due to machining tolerance or alignment, or assemble errors. We just don't know.

Some evidence (non verified) Toyota may have become aware of these issues and why. The fact my sources said issues stopped sometime in 2007 engine or thereafter is indication Mr T's knows. If that is the case they will only speak up if forced to do so, as it would be costly to them. But it's also possible there aren't as many 4.7L made after 2006, so not just been seen as much.

Yamaha tends to help design the higher performance heads. Not all engines that have a Yamaha partnership are cast as such, and sometimes that can vary based on plant or engine year. A good example is the 4age (as mentioned above). Yamaha partnership/designed head, but not found anywhere. 3sgte is very similar design, partnered with yamaha, yet is marked as such. Even goes further back to non-US engines like a pushrod 2tge (and 2tgte) with a yamaha designed head (here in the US we got the shaft with a 2tc)

@cwwfj60 would you mind posting some picture in this link I've provided. Of the numbers stamped into the front of block under where throttle body set, and the numbers cast in to rear of block on back RH top of behind cylinder #8? Engine Block Identification number decipher?

I'd like to see difference between your 2005 USA made 2UZ and my 2007 Japanese made blocks numbers. I could be very helping when looking at used blocks to know where it actually came from!

Thanks.

There are so many other variables that contribute to engine life. Oil change history and type of oil would be one significant variable. Million mile life is possible...that's good enough for me to drive one. No matter where it's made, it's a Toyota!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom