I've recently purchased a 93 FJz80 that runs fantastic Everything is original. Want to increase it's value... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.gregoncamera.com
Mileage is around 231K. I love driving this vehicle. I would like to replace the old shocks and suspension, etc as that is about the only thing I don't like, the bumpy ride. Are there any do's and don't relating to increasing, or decreasing it's value? I wan't to be able to filp this beauty if things get worse financially for me down the road. Should I go old school OEM shocks? Or upgrade for not only for performance but increase desirability on the sales market? Any tips appreciated. Thanks!

I guess it would help if we knew what you paid for it. If you paid $30k for it then your lucks probably out. On the other hand if you paid $3k then your already half way there..

If your going to sell it in the future, keep it OEM. Aftermarket add-ons are great for performance, but it's difficult to get your money back for what you will pay for expensive suspension components. New OEM shocks work great for stock height. I just changed out my fronts from the original shot out shocks and what a difference it made and only $50 bucks each.

Depends on what you are doing with it. If you are just a weekend/soccer mom type of driving, just go OEM or even basic 2/2.5" lift wont hurt resale. If you want to take it offroad and enjoy its potential, suspension and tires wont break your bank and you would appreciate it even more.

Jumping on the 80 wagon only to make money..... :rolleyes:

I guess it would help if we knew what you paid for it. If you paid $30k for it then your lucks probably out. On the other hand if you paid $3k then your already half way there..
Paid $8K. Plus $900 in new tires (tires on it were like new, but 15 yrs old. I had no idea you that was a thing) but seller said it had only been driven 2000 miles in 9 years so that made sense. Then about another $2300 + for all new front bearings and general maintenance for drive from Austin to San Diego. Paid premium for a crusty old Toyota mechanic to take it over night and give it a once over. So short answer, conservatively in for $11500 with smog and tags and taxes in CA. Passed smog first try...I love this thing man now that I think about it.

If your going to sell it in the future, keep it OEM. Aftermarket add-ons are great for performance, but it's difficult to get your money back for what you will pay for expensive suspension components. New OEM shocks work great for stock height. I just changed out my fronts from the original shot out shocks and what a difference it made and only $50 bucks each.
Right on. I'm feeling the same, but seeing some of the auctions on Bring a Trailor have me wanting to roll the dice a bit more. But thank you for the rational advice.

Jumping on the 80 wagon only to make money..... :rolleyes:
That's not true, and you shouldn't assume. But I work for myself and if another pandemic happens where I get ****ed in the ass I want to be able to filp it. Sorry for being a capitalist. But, If I wanted to make money I would have taken the two random offers I've already got while driving it. I'm just trying to be pragmatic.

I think on average stock trucks fetch a higher price than something that has been heavily modified. Your target market is potentially narrowed to someone who shares your taste in accessories.

Even without seeing it, in my opinion you’ve already paid too much for that rig. You may get lucky and break even but you’re not going to see BaT prices for yours unless you sink tons of money into it and then if you’re lucky, you’ll break even.

like others have said, keep it OEM, do tasteful mods that work for you and can easily be reversed for your potential buyer.

Go with the Old Man Emu 2.5" lift and 33 inch tires. Pretty common setup, affordable, looks cool, and you get to enjoy new suspension. Now post some pictures of this thing so we can see! Oh and... :flipoff2:Welcome!

Right on. I'm feeling the same, but seeing some of the auctions on Bring a Trailor have me wanting to roll the dice a bit more. But thank you for the rational advice.
Flipper.gif

Even without seeing it, in my opinion you’ve already paid too much for that rig. You may get lucky and break even but you’re not going to see BaT prices for yours unless you sink tons of money into it and then if you’re lucky, you’ll break even.

like others have said, keep it OEM, do tasteful mods that work for you and can easily be reversed for your potential buyer.
Well, that's a bummer. But I do love it. I drive it more than the FJ now.

Mileage is around 231K. I love driving this vehicle. I would like to replace the old shocks and suspension, etc as that is about the only thing I don't like, the bumpy ride. Are there any do's and don't relating to increasing, or decreasing it's value? I wan't to be able to filp this beauty if things get worse financially for me down the road. Should I go old school OEM shocks? Or upgrade for not only for performance but increase desirability on the sales market? Any tips appreciated. Thanks!
Keep receipts for work done. Check basic maintenance items to see if anything has been neglected. Refrain from any "mods" or work that isn't needed. If the shocks and springs aren't broken, don't replace them.

My 80 is my only driver right now. I don't mind it, because it really is a nice ride. I am sure a 200 series is better but my buddy with a 200 series was very impressed with how nice it is to ride in. Make it as comfortable as you can for what you are going to use it for, and replace all the old hoses and belts so you can ride relaxed. It will fetch a decent price if you have to sell, but a paid off, capable vehicle, that you like to drive has a LOT of value. I don't think the big bubble pricing we were seeing is passing. I am seeing 80s listed for longer and getting lower in price every week. Listed at 20k one week. 2 weeks later 16k.... and well eventually they go away for a few weeks and then get relisted for 12k etc... I get selling as things are needed but if not needed think about what vehicle can be and do what your's is for the money you have in it.... if you find something that gets you the same for less, then sell it.

Well, that's a bummer. But I do love it. I drive it more than the FJ now.
Not really a bummer, 11.5K is high for me but not to the next guy. If you have a solid truck, then you're already winning. I have a 94 and dropped way more than 11.5 including purchase doing stuff I want to do to it. It feels great driving a solid paid for vehicle in this market where everyone seems to be price gouging. I sold my other vehicle after 16 months of ownership for more than I paid and I only listed it for high range of KBB. It sold in a day for full asking price. Keep what you have, make it dependable and just enjoy it.

Want to add value?

Fill the tank with gas. :flipoff2:

I don't think there a lot of ways to add value to flip something really unless you manage to buy well below the market, and find an eager, emotional buyer who'll pay at the high end of the market.

You can sink money into catching up overdue PM, and it will sell for more than a neglected one. Will you recover the cost of the work? If you pay for the work, it's unlikely.

You can modify and build up the rig and get pennies on the dollar return for your mods.

If something is in solid condition, but just needed a deep clean, and you got it for a steal, then you might make some money on it

Usually, a cheap 80 is a neglected or rough 80.
If you take care of the neglect, you'll sink the savings on your purchase price into repairs etc.

Best ways to increase value (IMO)

Rhino liner - ideally applied with a roller.
22" rims - go chrome or go home.
Only use WIX oil filters and have receipts for buyers.
Custom tube bumber with "angry eyes"
Add new wood trim on top of the existing wood trim.
Homebrew turbo setup.
Remove fender flares and do not patch the holes.
Replace any failing parts with American made equivalents from O'Reilly.

Joking aside your beat option for resale value would be doing lots of PM and documenting it all for the next buyer. Even then the cost of the maintenance will likely be a net loss when you sell.

Best ways to increase value (IMO)

Rhino liner - ideally applied with a roller.
22" rims - go chrome or go home.
Only use WIX oil filters and have receipts for buyers.
Custom tube bumber with "angry eyes"
Add new wood trim on top of the existing wood trim.
Homebrew turbo setup.
Remove fender flares and do not patch the holes.
Replace any failing parts with American made equivalents from O'Reilly.

Joking aside your beat option for resale value would be doing lots of PM and documenting it all for the next buyer. Even then the cost of the maintenance will likely be a net loss when you sell.
Don't forget the rainbow colored 96" light bar and remote controlled underbelly rock lights, preferably Chinese made for durability of course.:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom