1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got another one... ammeter readings..

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by burnt03, Feb 20, 2004.

1. burnt03

burnt03

Since my starting problems last summer (when a wire between ign and coil burnt in half) my ammeter readings have changed from what they used to be.

Used to be, the needle would stay more or less at the centre hash mark all the time. Now it's just about hovering over top, even w/ all teh accessories turned on.

Any ideas what this is? A bad voltage regulator was suggested to me, but I'm not sure how to check it.

Thanks again

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Start the truck up, and pull the choke out, or have someone hold the throttle around 2K rpm's...

Put a multimeter on the DC voltage, probably 100 or if you have a analog unit, you may be able to set for 50 volts(fluke or other brand hand held) accross the battery..No load, regulated voltage should be 13.8-14.8V If you have more than this, you probably will need a voltage regulator...

Have you drove this vehicle for long trips? What type of battery(ies) do you have? If they are not gel, or maintenance free, check the water level to see if they have been boiled dry from over charging...this is a dead ringer indicator..

Good luck!

-Steve

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">