It's offical I hate my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ClemsonCruiser

Supporting Vendor
Threads
It's 11PM on a friday night an I should be BS'ing up in "dem dere woods" with the rest of the cruiser gang................ but no, months of prep time and pouring money into my 40, and she got me as far as Georgia before pussying out on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is now my solemn goal to convert my 2F to a 3FE head and say good by to carbs for good, $400 bucks on a new carb, and I got jack to show for it. Fuel Injection will be my goal!!!

Bad cruiser, Bad cruiser, Bad cruiser................... in the end I am sure this my goof up somewhere, but I still hate my 40!!! I think I will post it up in the 4-sale section and be rid of it, I can't stand to look at it anymore.....

rant off!

Crap! I was just thinkin' about you guys up there drinking a couple of cold ones. That's a bummer, JP.
Any chance you can pull it out of the bag and make it up in the AM? :confused:

Don't dare get rid of it. You got too much into it to get rid of it. Fuel delivery problems are easy to overcome. You have numerous options, assuming it's the carb and not something else like the fuel tank pickup, fuel pump, filter etc.

First choice is too rebuild/fix your present carb.

You could replace the carb, OEM or aftermarket. I have run both holley's and rochesters in the past on 2F's.

You could install astro Van TBI. Helped a friend do this here in my shop earlier this year.

You could install a Holley TBI system. Helped another friend do this earlier this year in his shop.

I installed a holley TBI on my truck about 4 years ago and it has performed flawlessly. (Mine's a V8)

Unfortunately, all this takes is $$$ :mad:

Let me know if you need any parts. My old parts pile has diminished to almost nothing, but I have many cruiser friends nearby.

Good luck....

Thanks, Jim.......... sadly there is now way I can fix the 40 in time, I stayed up till one last night fooling around with it and didn't accomplish anything. It is just beyond me one what is going wrong. It's 530 now and Chuck, my dad, and myself are taking my dad's avalanche up the meet the guys at Tellico, and we hope to catch them before they get out on the trail, if not will just hang out at the camp and drink some cold ones!!!! All is not lost!

I'll get the 40 back before long! and it will def. be some kind of FI when I do

N. Augusta is not that far from the boarder. What FI are you looking at? the mega squirt system looks like a sweet setup.

j.p.

just trade me your turbo for my old holley. it runs. end of story. it's just chillin out right now anyways, not even on the truck

it'll get you there and is quite possibly the most easily adjustable carb ever invented.....

malphrus

Malph what cruiser will you be putting that turbo on? Last thing I heard all you had was pieces of cruiser in a couple locations. HAHA just having a little fun with you. Lets see some pics of your progress.

Ill give you $500 cash right now for it. Just kidding. Good luck on getting it back up and running.

Hes put to much into it to sell it now. He'd have to sell a kidney too just to break even. I've heard the same thing from JP's mouth a few other times it will pass.

Yeah I know the feeling. I will get mad at my Bronco and want to sell it after sinking $$$ and time into it. Just take a few days away from it and then get back to working. A small break from wrenching can do wonders sometimes.

clemson55 said:
Malph what cruiser will you be putting that turbo on? Last thing I heard all you had was pieces of cruiser in a couple locations. HAHA just having a little fun with you. Lets see some pics of your progress.

i've got a killer twin turbo idea for the weed eater out at the lakehouse....

no pics of progress...there has basically been none

malphrus

Love & Hate

I have to admit I have hated more than one 40 but overcame and loved again. This is a natural experience. After one has hated ones cruiser it then evolves into a deeper affection after the perverbial dust has settled. Now having said this crock of malarky please overlook as I have two days in Tellico sleeping in a pickup. I may not be myself. :flipoff2:

Hey cruisered out! I don't plan touching it untill the I'mannual meeting in two weeks. If you want help just ask. I'll get it figured out for you. Anything for a fellow club member and a friend.

Or you can just give her to me and I'll fix it :D

ClemsonCruiser said:
Thanks, Jim.......... sadly there is now way I can fix the 40 in time, I stayed up till one last night fooling around with it and didn't accomplish anything. It is just beyond me one what is going wrong. It's 530 now and Chuck, my dad, and myself are taking my dad's avalanche up the meet the guys at Tellico, and we hope to catch them before they get out on the trail, if not will just hang out at the camp and drink some cold ones!!!! All is not lost!

I'll get the 40 back before long! and it will def. be some kind of FI when I do

You should contact Jim Chenoweth (FJ40Jim) in Lancaster, OH. He is the man when it comes to carbs. Though, I'm sure you already know this.

Don't give up dude.... I saw Jim work some wonders on a carb this weekend...amazing stuff--slight touches here and there and the things was blazing.

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

thanks, for all the support guys! I was just venting friday night, I had been preping for the Tellico trip for months and was a little let down for a moment. After spending the weekend riding shotgun with Marshall and watching the rest of you guys, it didn't take long for me to remember why I love my cruiser............ the best thing was I still had as much fun even though I was cruiserless, we have a great club!!!

don't worry about the 40 it will be good to go, I am shipping the carb. back to Mark's offroad to have it inspected tomorrow. I also plan on getting a new coil and plugs and wires, and have the gas tank cleaned out. I will have it at the MLK weekend run at Tellico for sure!!! I alos plan on looking into the 3FE head swap still, but that will be a long term project.

and trust me Matt you don't want my 40...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom