It's kinda quiet around here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Safety first ;)

Besides my Pop has decided he's not coming to GSMTR anymore, unlikely Linda will, so leaves my 27 year old and a seat in the back for my two little ones.

Let's assume they'll not complain ;)

It’s a good thing you’re a nimble guy Bill. Getting in and out of that thing is going to be fun.

Started tacking my semi-DIY sliders together. I picked up a 69" kit from www.xo-fab.com. You can get them with our without the bump out. 69" seemed to be a good length for our trucks. They are .120" DOM, all bent and notched. Did a little cleanup on the weld areas to remove some slag and burrs from the plasma cut.

Working to figure out how I want to mount them. I'm not thrilled with the u-bolt/bracket (especially given how rusty my truck is). I also want them to be easily removable for repairs/paint. Potentially doing a slip-lock cantilevered mount. Need to draw it up and see how it feels.

Just tacked together so far so i can make sure everything lines up nice.
37670635_10109810246055161_7510885506977103872_n.jpg

37710819_10109810246189891_5205879312011493376_n.jpg

37724659_10109810246259751_653563283646709760_n.jpg

37664882_10109810246344581_5009662416833740800_n.jpg

37658989_10109810246474321_4358625673468706816_n.jpg

Heading to Gainesville in a week to swap my 40's shackles (to OEM) and bring it back to Tampa! Stoked to have it here. Got a new house (moving on Tuesday) and hoping it will fit in the garage with the FST bows on. If not not big deal, just a little hassle.

Honestly, after this move I am down to meet!

Potentially doing a slip-lock cantilevered mount
That would work! You could always have the legs slip into some 2" .120 tube pieces welded on the frame and run a bolt through them. Might be difficult to pull out and remove after a couple years of being together though.

That would work! You could always have the legs slip into some 2" .120 tube pieces welded on the frame and run a bolt through them. Might be difficult to pull out and remove after a couple years of being together though.
yeah. I thought about running a cinch bolt through the frame and having the 2" punch all the way through to weld to a sandwich plate on both sides of the frame. I have to get under there and assess how rusty the frame is in those sections. Also don't want to have to drop the fuel tank to do the install on the drivers side.

Got the idea to use a mild-steel V-band clamp. So i drew a quick mockup. Obviously the v-flanges would be the same (didn't feel like messing with dimensions I didn't know). and the legs from the sliders would slot into the large post/flat plate. The extra holes inthe flat plate would be to spot weld to the frame. Maybe a cross bolt at the back just to keep everything safe and secure incase a v-band clamp should fail.
assembly.PNG
cross install.PNG
cross section.PNG

That's very similar what I did on my Land cruiser. Only I used a cross bolt. I didn't think about the V flange idea.

Neat idea on the V-band, however as Steve said if you really use them you aren’t going to get it apart.
Even without any form of mechanical fastening I think if you have slip fit tubes you won’t get them them out. Coefficient of static friction and all that... x3 or 4 slider legs. They’d all have to be dead parrallel. Which means you’d have to weld them to the frame under the truck dead parallel. Good luck with that..
here’s what I do when I build sliders for 100 series. Simple, strong, not too hard to take on and off. And bolts into factory holes.

9691D7F5-317A-402F-B42B-906A877B7BB3.jpeg

BF2968E6-EA5C-4E61-9C15-1ADA10E8CA4B.jpeg

Hey guys, I'm a new addition to FL and mud. Wife and I moved to Pensacola after about 8 years in DC. Bought a 2000 LC in May, got some PM done and have spent most free time (and money) this summer deleting the plastic trim, etc., mostly cosmetic stuff I feel confident doing in my driveway with my neighbors' tools. Great to be back in the South where people are nice and have enough stuff that between 4-5 neighbors I can borrow anything I need.

Always wanted an LC, was just unrealistic in the city. Have learned so much from this site. If anyone in the area ever needs an extra set of hands on a project let me know, really wanting to learn more working on trucks.

Got to put eyes on Bill’s 40 this morning... it’s going to be a monster.

D094641C-8B72-4B3B-B2A9-FDBB90AE3197.jpeg

Bill's 40 is the supreme ruling Land cruiser of the trails. Even if I didn't wheel, I would still go out to watch him and his truck in action.

it is almost the time of year when turkey trot gets discussed maybe if we plan the dates early enough we can get good turnouts like we had a few years back. Just got my 60 reregistered and she's back driving around. Hope to be able to make it to turkey trot this year is something gets planned.

it is almost the time of year when turkey trot gets discussed maybe if we plan the dates early enough we can get good turnouts like we had a few years back. Just got my 60 reregistered and she's back driving around. Hope to be able to make it to turkey trot this year is something gets planned.

Awesome. I should be ready by then too.

Where was the turkey trot in the past? Is it close to the West coast?

D

hard rock cycle park in Ocala area so close to both coasts really. it was always a fun time, when we can line up everyones rigs working at once. hopefully we can get a nice showing. I think in the past its been the weekend before thanksgiving

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom