It is worth doing a top end rebuild with leaking valve seals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have oil in the cylinders there is no point in a compression test; it won't be accurate. Adding oil into a leaking cylinder is the test for leaking valve seals versus leaking piston rings.
Yeah I know, I couldn't really prevent it since there was oil in the tubes. I will probably retest the compression once I do everything else one day.

Got around to putting some of the oil seals on. Overall, not that bad. Was lucky my harbor freight compressor works after sitting for 8-9 years.

Of course i had the exact quantity of oil seals and I broke the first intake one. It just felt like it wasn’t seating all the way, so I’ve pushed it further down and it split.

The exhaust seals look like they’re pretty much sitting all the way down, do I press them flush with the housing?

For the intake seals, there definitely feels like a gap from the bottom to the seal, is that right?

Thanks
65C49DD1-773F-41B8-81F0-4DBCD008BAE0.jpeg

F19C8270-B79D-4485-9A00-42F749C1A381.jpeg

AAA84E26-A647-44FF-995F-6CE907AB894B.jpeg

A8B51D2C-E91A-474F-BBAA-8B724D4FC6E9.jpeg

@BILT4ME Curious what you think about these plugs
Well, since there are no immediate reference positions for these other than order of photos in the previous posts, I'll go from there.

Pic 1, 2, 3, 5: Burning oil. Plug gap is way too wide Worn out. The gray ash buildup on the plug is what gives the reference along with a black residue near where the threads and electrode are.
Pic 4: Oil fouled or it was dropped in the oil after it was removed or the plug tube seals had failed and when it was pulled, it got soaked in oil. It is still a wide gap and it looks to have been burning oil due to the ash volume remaining on the plug. Also worn out.

So, all in, I would say across the board your engine is burning oil. Where is it coming from? Rings or valve seals? This is where the compression and leak down test will reveal.

Having a significant vacuum leak (such as failed tube seals) will also increase oil consumption because it allows air into the engine that is then sucked up by the PCV and sucked into the intake. Get all your vacuum leaks fixed and your oil consumption should decrease.
Replace your valve seals and your oil consumption should decrease.
Replace your VC gasket and your oil consumption should decrease.

VC seal
Dizzy O-Ring
Throttle body gasket
Oil pump seal
Front main seal
Spark Plug Tube seals
OEM plugs
OEM wires
OEM cap
OEM rotor
OEM cap seal (dust seal)

I just did the valve stems seals on a 3FE. Engine in car, head on was not too fun with work space and the springs were ridiculously stout. Regardless got it done and no more burning oil. Idk about your situation, but the valve stem seals for the 3FE do not sit all the way down. I was confused of this and thought it to be wrong but was not. I have some valve stem seals left over if you want them. Might not fit though. They do look like what you pictured.

IMG_4783.jpeg

I just did the valve stems seals on a 3FE. Engine in car, head on was not too fun with work space and the springs were ridiculously stout. Regardless got it done and no more burning oil. Idk about your situation, but the valve stem seals for the 3FE do not sit all the way down. I was confused of this and thought it to be wrong but was not. I have some valve stem seals left over if you want them. Might not fit though. They do look like what you pictured.

View attachment 3365301
Oh wow didn’t see you already did this. Thought the thread was only one page. My bad

View attachment 3365301
Yes, the seals do not sit all the way down. I was confused by this as well and ruined 2-3 seals. All it takes is to hear a click and feel it go over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom