Is Your Pig Ready for the Rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It seems to me that the pigs need a pretty good bit of lift and bigger tires to do mild to serious rocks. I think they have the worst overhang in the rear of any of the landcruiser wagons. It seems I hit the rear end a lot on sharper dips and waddling up ditches or water cuts in roads and small steeper banked creeks.

best, ty
:beer:

Just so I'm clear we're talking about this pig dragging its ass ?
p1010463-jpg.842920

It looks ready now.

I actually went searching last night for which pig he was talking about taking, ASSumed he was talking about a truck with an actual ass?

I've done that trail a few times, from that first Pig run (when was that 2000? it got writ up in TT...) when I was on 32s with 2 kids in an overloaded 55. We all got beat up pretty bad. I twisted a rear dive shaft, used an unbalanced trail spare to get out, Morgan blew a pinion gear right at little sluice. We turned around there the next morning, I was leaking coolant from the radiator due to the flexing, gave my spare tire to a guy that kept blowing sidewalls, seems like we all gave him our spare. Long friggin' weekend, barely babied it back home, late, and got my kids to school the next day. I do recall Mark Whatley mentioned me getting my Pig up on two wheels and bicycling it for a couple Piglengths on the trail (unintentionally). I remember that as well, always steer in the direction of a roll, much like a skid.
Had to trim the rear quarter panels off, wherever they was bent up too bad.
Next time (2005?) second Pigrun, I was SOA, on 35s with a doubler, power steering, front discs, rear Detroit locker. I spanked that old Gatekeeper (it's gone now). Did pretty well, needed a tug on gas can hill just outside of deer lake, otherwise not bad into the Springs.
Still got the "BANG...scraaaaape" of my big butt coming down
oldsluice.jpg

over the rocks. But no sheet metal left, just the frame and the IPOR bumper, no worries.
Lastly, on my last Wagon runs, on 37s, with the ARB up front, it was slightly easier. It's never really easy, that trail never lets you relax, there's always something difficult coming up.
Jeeps can do it on little tires because they're light. Not so much a Pig. But a Pig can make it in and out on the stock gas tank without resorting to jerrycans. And can carry enough beer for a week.
I got rockrash on my doorhandles, I got rockrash on my rear vents and side marker lights, take off your door mirrors, they don't stand a chance.

Last edited:
p1010463-jpg.842920

one of our finest moments in time!!! yes, this pig.

It looks ready now.

Marlin has concerns, and doesn't want a rig that's not up to it making work for everyone...I also think it may have to do with it being my first trip, and him not having any experience with my experience or lack thereof.- I totally get it. and I don't want to make the trip a hassle for anyone; self included.

Man, I really like that flatbed!

It does its job!!! I may be pulling it off and fitting the box of a stepside bed with some custom fenders...That said, I will not be cutting up or getting rid of the old flatbed...just find a box in the closet to put it in till the next time I need to employ it. While the old flatbed is great for tossing junk onto, and using as a 4X workbench, it isn't so good at getting dogs to the lake or picking up groceries.

Another thing I'm not seeing people say is the trail condition changes frequently. It could be an easy Sunday drive one year especially if late in the year after the Jeep Jamboree or it could be almost impassible the next. It all depends on who has been through before and what winter whipped up that year. If I had a nice 55 or a nice 100 series I'd leave it at home for a Rubicon trip. I know I could wheel a 100 through the trail and I could wheel a 55 probably even better but the thing is why would I want to. If I'm doing a trip I want to have a good time. I don't want to be stressed and I definitely don't want to be holding up the group.

I sort of agree. No reason to wheel a $$$ truck. But it isn't like this is a pristine FJ55, and if it's SOA, it's unlikely to get much sheet metal damage. In 10 years of SOA FJ60 and Rubicon/Dusy, I have 2 door dents and some scratches (in an FJ60, not an FJ55 but they are similar). Not that it was easy, but it's doable.

But SUA, it's going to get hurt. Maybe not to bad, but hurt. Figure one big dent every Rubicon.

Andy the difference is who you wheel with. You wheel with a ton of wagon guys. They understand your truck and you have good spotters. If you are wheeling with mini truck and 4Runner guys that have never spotted a wagon (very likely on a Marlin run) then you are more than likely going to get more damage. It is always easier wheeling with vehicles similar to yours if you are inexperienced because you can follow their lines and learn along the way. If you are wheeling with a bunch of different vehicles it is tougher to learn and if you are the odd guy out you might really get frustrated.

Lock it and RUN IT!!! You've already hacked it up, made it comfortable, etc. Like others said, chicks dig rock rash

Have to respond to Pig head's post.

I was the guy that got all the flats. I think three. The rocks that trip seemed tall as buildings. Managed to get to a Big O tire shop in Placerville. It was way after hours and in order to give back the spares my truck ended up on blocks in front of the shop. Got some used meats the next morning and off I headed south with a cracked steering pivot. Made it home to Orange Co. Ca. Long ride I'll never forget.

The good old days Pighead ?
or you could do this

032.jpg

Way way back in the mid 70s I was a the Toyota host on Land Cruiser runs at the Rubicon. I don't think I'd take my 55 through that. The vehicles we used were 40s. the longer wheelbase, extra overhand, and higher center of gravity would make most 55s a bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom