Is this pink or red coolant in my rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this 2005 with 240k recently, and can't tell what kind of coolant is currently in the system. It was last changed at 202k according to service records, so need to do it soon. I hope it's pink, and that's almost what I want to say it is - it looks pink in the clear overflow container and when I pour it, but looks like tomato soup in the black catch can haha. And I haven't used either in the past so I can't tell the fine difference. If it IS red, or if it's too close to tell - I'm assuming it's worth doing a full flush and replace with pink SLLC? (For now, I drained and resued ~1 gal when I did my heater tees, that's what the pics are from.)

Thanks!

coolant.jpg
20200719_114002.jpg

That is pink. The red is very red even after it is diluted. The Toyota pink comes diluted.

Edit: The long life coolant (red) is for pre 2004 LC's and the super long life coolant (pink) is factory fill for the 2004+ LC's. Was there meaningful change that prevent you from using pink in a 98-03 100... I doubt it.

Last edited:
I just put red in my FJ62 and this is what it looked like. Noticeably more red.

BB77B970-F6E8-479B-97B6-15C6E99111C0.jpeg

Hmm. They both look pretty red to me, with one looking 'cleaner'.

I thought I had a jug of pink in my garage to pour out for comparison but I guess it's in the truck, which isn't home right now. If someone doesn't have a shot of the pink stuff before tomorrow, I'll snap a shot for comparison's sake. I could be wrong, but I remember that stuff looking like a pink starburst color.

Edit: found a pick of the pink online (you pervs):
558aa04224bab445bb2569bd6a23e711.jpg

Hmm. They both look pretty red to me, with one looking 'cleaner'.

I thought I had a jug of pink in my garage to pour out for comparison but I guess it's in the truck, which isn't home right now. If someone doesn't have a shot of the pink stuff before tomorrow, I'll snap a shot for comparison's sake. I could be wrong, but I remember that stuff looking like a pink starburst color.

Edit: found a pick of the pink online (you pervs):
558aa04224bab445bb2569bd6a23e711.jpg
Ya I agree with the red but "cleaner" look, especially after seeing that pic. Thanks!

I guess either way I'll just play it safe and do a full flush. Basically I should be good once clear distilled water is draining out ya? Or do shops hook it up to a machine to do a true flush, which I'm guessing would be safer if I want to switch from potentially red back to pink?

I've always just drained and refilled, burped as needed. I had red in my truck before the local store told me it called for pink, so just replaced without flushing. No concerns.

I've always just drained and refilled, burped as needed. I had red in my truck before the local store told me it called for pink, so just replaced without flushing. No concerns.
I have a coolant flush coming up on an 06. When I changed tsat pretty sure it was red and red is what Ive been adding. I am planning on going to pink. I thought the service interval on red is 2 year /30k, is pink longer being super long life? I thought I had seen 5 year/50k for pink?

I have a coolant flush coming up on an 06. When I changed tsat pretty sure it was red and red is what Ive been adding. I am planning on going to pink. I thought the service interval on red is 2 year /30k, is pink longer being super long life? I thought I had seen 5 year/50k for pink?

Close. Mr. T rates the red at 3 years/ 30k, and the pink is actually 5 years/ 60k.

I guess they assumed everyone driving a later model 100 calling for pink juice was going to drive more miles each year :meh:

Close. Mr. T rates the red at 3 years/ 30k, and the pink is actually 5 years/ 60k.

I guess they assumed everyone driving a later model 100 calling for pink juice was going to drive more miles each year :meh:
Thank you! I've got another year to chill then. I thought @2001LC said 2 year/30k but I'll double back

he also says never mix the red and pink

That looks like old pink coolant to me, which IIRC is what came with 05s. Mine looked just like that when I did my timing belt. Expansion bottle also noticeably pink-er. A distilled water flush can't hurt, but I didn't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom