Is this bad..... I assume its definitely not good (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so how bad is this...?

I noticed about 1/2 way home my oil pressure was nada. Luckily it was a 7 mile trip home but when I got home I checked the dipstick and found a slight yellow green sludge at the tip. I then checked the oil cap and found this.

My gut is telling me that the HG is blown 😒 I really didn't need this right now.

Any input is appreciated

20210216_160820.jpg

Has your oil pressure gauge been working properly?

Blowing any maple-syrup smelling white smoke out the back?

Do you have any oily residue in your radiator?

Ignore the oil fill cap. That's a myth.

Oil pressure Guage was working fine. Exhaust broken before the muffler so kinda hard to tell (was on my list of things to get done) .

I attempted a small antifreeze leak over the weekend at the thermostat housing. Wasn't successful and had the company car so I drove it back to work yesterday so I'd have a way home.

When I tried to start it up it didn't want to crank kinda like the battery was almost gone and it finally started. I just assumed it was because it got down into the teens last night.

Drove fine on the way home till I noticed no oil pressure

Don't see any sludge on the rad and the antifreeze and rad are both brand new (replaced in july)

Where’s the cap don’t look good to me
If you had zero oil pressure and drove it a couple of miles I think the motor would be making a lot of noise.
and when my head gasket went I still had oil pressure.
I would throw a oil pressure sending unit at it.
you say there was green at the end of the dip stick is the oil low.

Motor was running fine, no noises that I noticed. Kinda freaking out and don't want to start it. This is just really bad timing with a bunch of other things I got going on.
I guess I could replace the sending unit. Would it be anywhere near the thermostat housing, could that leaking caused it to fail somehow?
The dipstick had a mix of oil and the yellow green tinted sludge but was reading just below full.

Oil pressure Guage was working fine. Exhaust broken before the muffler so kinda hard to tell (was on my list of things to get done) .

I attempted a small antifreeze leak over the weekend at the thermostat housing. Wasn't successful and had the company car so I drove it back to work yesterday so I'd have a way home.

When I tried to start it up it didn't want to crank kinda like the battery was almost gone and it finally started. I just assumed it was because it got down into the teens last night.

Drove fine on the way home till I noticed no oil pressure

Don't see any sludge on the rad and the antifreeze and rad are both brand new (replaced in july)
Why did you replace the radiator and coolant?

What color is your coolant and does it match what you're seeing on the dipstick?

I did a big service in July to fix the oil pump gasket, rad, hoses, PS lines etc.... and a few other things all basically PM and I had been buying parts for the better part of a year.

As the the coolant I kept what the PO did and stayed with green so yeah it matches what I'm seeing in the oil

Drain some oil and see what you get in the pan. Time to stop guessing and start knowing what is going on.

When I drain the oil will it separate or do I need to try and catch some when it first starts draining.

I assume if I see anything other than oil its probably the HG?

You'll see it. It will definitely separate in the pan; you won't be able to miss it.

When I drain the oil will it separate or do I need to try and catch some when it first starts draining.

If you let it sit overnight (or equivalent) it will separate.

Definitely don't start it, and coolant is not a good lubricant.

The coolant will settle to the bottom and come out first. You may only have to let out a little to see the green stuff coming out. Then the next task is to clearly determine the source.
HG, Oil Cooler, cracked head, cracked block......etc.

I seriously hope its not but I'm kinda thinking it is. After 10 years of owning the 80, today was the 1st time if seen that gunk in the cap and on The dipstick

The crap on the cap CAN tell you something but its nothing to go by in this situation. Cars that do lots of short trips develop that crap quickly. Long duration of operating temp evaporate moisture where as short trips dont.

Might check your coolant level as well.

IF you have very much coolant in your oil pan.....you'll know it when drain the oil.

My head-gasket failed such that I was losing coolant and for awhile couldn't figure out where it was going (wasn't burning it out a cylinder).

Not saying you have a head gasket failure....but do check your oil.

So I guess I'll drain it tonight and see what happens tomorrow when I get home.

Mine gets the same yeast infection on the oil filler cap in cold weather,I am running red but have never seen any color tint to the infection on mine.short trips in winter=spooge on cap.

Mine gets the same yeast infection on the oil filler cap in cold weather,I am running red but have never seen any color tint to the infection on mine.short trips in winter=spooge on cap.
The cold spooge on the oil fill cap just means you ain't driving it enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom