Is this a good steering box? video attached (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
Hi Everyone,

I received an 80 series used steering box from a mud member and wanted to see what others opinions on it was. It seems to sound very rough when rotating the arm and I am wondering if this is normal. This will be used for a trail spare but would like it to be a good unit if I decide I need it on the trail. It rotates freely but it feels like there is some grinding coming from the gears at one point in the rotation. It has been awhile since I replaced an 80 box and can't remember if some noise in the rotation of the arm is normal or not when there is no fluid in the box. Any opinions appreciated.

Noah

Probably because no fluid in box. Put some fluid in and see how the sound changes.

that's what I am thinking, will try to pour some fluid in and see how it feels. The gear sound and feel feels much rougher than I remember but that might be normal for a used box. I don't remember others I have installed having this much noise though, although they are usually new or rebuilt.

I just went through something similar. Installed a used box in place of my leaky original. Used box had a mile of play with the adjustment screw as far in as I could get it. Had original rebuilt for ~$200 and wish I went that route to begin with.

I drained out all the power steering fluid before changing out everything except the gearbox. I cycled the gearbox back and forth while truck was on stands. Didn’t make any kind of racket like that.

Probably doesn't need to be in great shape if you're going to get it rebuilt anyway. But I would also shell out for a rebuilder instead of DIY. Guy I used had bearings, recirc balls, etc. of various sizes on hand. Only reason I rebuilt the tighter one is it wasnt on the truck at the time, but Im sure he would have worked his magic with either.

Probably doesn't need to be in great shape if you're going to get it rebuilt anyway. But I would also shell out for a rebuilder instead of DIY. Guy I used had bearings, recirc balls, etc. of various sizes on hand. Only reason I rebuilt the tighter one is it wasnt on the truck at the time, but Im sure he would have worked his magic with either.

who did you have do yours? local?

Yeah local. I don't think there is anything magical about these boxes, and it was a RHD box with 105 sector shaft. No problems. (CARS Power Steering if anyone in CO is looking)

I've head of people shipping them to West Texas Off Road but that sounds like unnecessary shipping $$ IMO.

Yeah local. I don't think there is anything magical about these boxes, and it was a RHD box with 105 sector shaft. No problems. (CARS Power Steering if anyone in CO is looking)

I've head of people shipping them to West Texas Off Road but that sounds like unnecessary shipping $$ IMO.

trying to find that kind of work here in CA is hard, most of this rebuilding type of work has been outsourced to mexico and handled by the big box parts stores

Might be fine. Pop the top cap off. Easy.

It sounds like hydraulic slurping to me but I dunno.

If you want to ditch it I will consider buying

sound is not just gurgling, there is some major gear noise grinding happening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom