Steering at 65+, yall good? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The only way I'll ever approach 90mph in my 80 is if I roll it off a cliff and approach terminal velocity before hitting bottom. Dear Lord. But at reasonable highway speeds my 80 aligned truck tracks straight as an arrow.

Auld Lang Syne and happy 2024 ahead to all 80 lovers!

Last edited:
Be aware, an alignment on these trucks will only be toe in / toe out. And a read out of all other numbers.

To change anything else requires aftermarket parts.
yea, I kinda figured. it won't be my dd, so I plan to take it step by step see what needs addressing and what doesn't. hopefully it's as simple as that toe adjustment haha

yea, I kinda figured. it won't be my dd, so I plan to take it step by step see what needs addressing and what doesn't. hopefully it's as simple as that toe adjustment haha
A good alignment shop should also be able to determine, and inform you, if your wheel bearings, tie rod ends, tire balance or anything else are in need of attention.
That could be valuable information. It’s unlikely the toe is causing the steering problems in that 80.
Most likely caster as previously mentioned.

It's probably a simple fix and may just be the roads where the seller is at. Had a car I sold my brother years ago when he started his family and wanted a newer, reliable car...took a huge loss on it and he turned around and told me he overpaid because it needed an alignment...it wandered everywhere....told him he should know better since we were both mechanics at the time...took him to a section of the freeway they had just repaved and let go of the steering wheel and it went straight as an arrow until it hit the old stuff and started wandering. Roads get ruts and they don't have to be very deep to cause issues. Your tires will track into them just like off road. Or it could just need more caster and the toe adjusted slightly.

Neither of our two 80s wander; similar lift, 315 ProComp MTs.
And just because: both the ‘93 and the ’97 have caster bushings…:hillbilly::beer:
Happy New Year y’all! Looking forward to many more instances where MUD OCD will brush up against the real world!

keep in mind that the wandering may be to negative caster which can be caused by the lift. When I bought mine it wandered a bit because of this and even with caster correction bushings it was -1.8 on each side. Literally nothing an alignment shop can do and will need to look at other options if that bothers you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom