Is there any other truck out there with a better field of view? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Probably my favorite part of the LX. I also have an LS which is much better than most sedans, also probably thanks to the low beltline.

I haven't really ridden in any pickups and very few SUVs, just wondering if anything else rivals the giant land cruiser windows.

The only vehicle with a better field of view in my experience is an old Jeep with the top off, windshield down and doors removed. But that is far from practical!

The 100 series has ginormous windows and I absolutely love it. The downside is, in the summer time you cook like a hot pocket without any ceramic tint on the front windows.

I like it too, just like my old first gen Tundra and Sequoia. More modern vehicles have slimmer windows which ruins visibility.

My Range Rover P38 is a glass box on wheels.

IMG_2202.JPG

LR3 and LR4, you just asked for better field of view right?

To me the absolute best sightlines were in the late 80's and 90's Japanese vehicles. My 80 was spectacular, but the Geo Tracker tin top was probably the easiest to see out of.

20230202_205243.jpg

I think modern vehicles have higher dashes for safety maybe? Amazed at how "steep" dashes are on any new SUVs today. 70 series included

To me the absolute best sightlines were in the late 80's and 90's Japanese vehicles. My 80 was spectacular, but the Geo Tracker tin top was probably the easiest to see out of.

View attachment 3237503
In some countries this is called the Suzuki Vitara, I know one bec I had one about 15 yrs ago but mine came with 5 doors. This is perfect in the trails bec of the shorter wheelbase. We SAS these things with Simex tires.

The field of view is pretty good in the hundy, but my 60 and 62 series definitely had a fish bowl feel to them. My wife and I both miss 60's series, but rust is a beach.

I like the forward visibility in my 100, but the D pillar is fat. I backed into a tree with a diameter less than the D pillar's width, it was lined up just right and completely obscured, got a nice dent and cracked tail light.

Like others have said, 3rd gen 4Runner and some Land Rover offerings rival the 100 for sure. The 3rd gen T4R is slightly smaller with more vertical walls (incredibly easy to know where the vehicle begins and ends when wheeling or parking) and almost no blindspot. LR Disco 2 uses very flat glass which I find creates good visibility, plus the glass to pillar ratio is very favorable.

1st Gen Tundras are pretty good for pickups, but IMO pickups always lack the field of view and dimensional predictability of SUVs for some reason.

Last edited:
The GM brought lot of Japanese brands and rebadged those;
Geo prizm (which I have is a toyota Sprinter AE91)
Geo Storm is an Isuzu gemini
Geo Metro is Suzuki
Geo tracker is Suzuki Vitara

One should never park a car next to newer trucks and especially newer muscle cars. They have ZERO visibility when backing up!

It will continue to get worse, (if you want my opinion, the FJ Cruiser is the worst Toyota as far as seeing around you....) as from what I have heard, the reason for thicker pillars everywhere is rollover crash standards have been raised. The new Sienna is horrible as far as backing up and seeing past blind spots when merging.

An FJ60/2 has big windows and a commanding view. My 100 reminds me of my FJ62 for that reason.

Do high beltlines really make that much of a difference (for safety)? Cars are becoming claustrophobic. It's even worse when you're inundated with 3-4 screens. People are eventually going to be relying on those screens more than they will on looking outside.

Last edited:
The old Land Rover Discovery I and II had awesome commanding views much like the LC. In the Disco you sat high and very close to the door. Made it nice to stick you head out and watch tire placement when wheeling.

Roof crush standards (that were enacted after the 100-series was phased out) call for much stronger roof pillars. Shorter pillars, high-strength steel, and thickness all contribute to helping a vehicle meet the standards. (There are other factors as well, such as distance to the windshield etc.)

Sadly the 100-series roof is a substantial weakness of the vehicle when compared to the safety of a vehicle that meets the newest standards. The greenhouse visibility comes with a price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom