Is the repair estimate reasonable from my dealership? (1 Viewer)

Is it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normally I would DIY. But I'm still in the middle of hurricane recovery and have too much on my plate. I recently did the AT-205 flush and fixed the leak. But I'm still pulling. I think my bearings may just be bad. I've done that on my wife's 05 and I know I can handle it myself. The steering rack I don't know if I can do or not myself.

Thoughts? I am going to Big Bend the week after Christmas and would prefer to be in tip top shape. Carve out time to DIY or let dealership?

Screenshot_20210317-155445~2.png

I had no idea wheel bearing services (including parts) is so lucrative.

If I were you I'd seriously consider doing the wheel bearings + seals yourself. You'll save a TON of cash.

My guess is the "bearings parts" may include the inner spindle bearing and two "seals" that go on the back of the knuckle/spindle. Those parts are not cheap for OEM dealer prices.

OR, they charge $10/oz of grease used and goop that stuff liberally inside of the hub!

Maybe I don't understand something. Rack price seem to be legit if it's OE. Rack is only 20% markup compare to online prices. And labor is probably making sense I guess.
But bearings? Can they specify what exactly they going to replace for $570 per side??
I can call and ask. Does seem high. I think I spent $250 for both sides in OEM parts when I did my wife's 05.

They're response was that the seals are $43 and the bearings are $536.
Ehhh.
Heh.. I am really curious now. Do they have website? Today many dealerships have online parts. Or even call their parts department and ask for those 2 PNs (for bearings).
$44 for 90080-36098
$30 for 90368-45087
$75 for side? This is OE @ partsouq

But why replace them? I read here that bearings rarely bad.

Heh.. I am really curious now. Do they have website? Today many dealerships have online parts. Or even call their parts department and ask for those 2 PNs (for bearings).
$44 for 90080-36098
$30 for 90368-45087
$75 for side? This is OE @ partsouq

But why replace them? I read here that bearings rarely bad.

They do. I don't want to post who it is because I am friends with the owner of the dealership. If I can get some time later I'll go look into their website.

+1 on wheel bearings DIY. What are they including? CruiserTEQ has the kit for ~$70 a side that includes the seals.
Front Wheel Bearing Kit - Fits 1998-2007 Solid Axle Non-US 7x Series - Koyo - https://cruiserteq.com/front-wheel-bearing-kit-fits-1998-2007-solid-axle-non-us-7x-series-koyo/

The steering rack parts price looks about right along with the alignment. Have you considered getting the zero point calibration done at the same time?
That says non-US. Is there a difference?

Those must be some solid rhodium or palladium ball bearings in the wheel bearings. Now we know what is happening to the precious metals from the stolen cats!

Okay, so we are all in agreeance.

I need to carve out time and DIY the bearings.
And if I still have some pulling, get them to do the rack.

You mention some pulling. Can you provide more details on that? If you are referring to the vehicle pulling to one side during driving, I didn't think that was a symptom of the steering rack being bad. I would think pulling could be associated with the wheel bearing or maybe a sticky brake caliper? Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in.

You mention some pulling. Can you provide more details on that? If you are referring to the vehicle pulling to one side during driving, I didn't think that was a symptom of the steering rack being bad. I would think pulling could be associated with the wheel bearing or maybe a sticky brake caliper? Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in.
Yes, that's why I'm thinking do the wheel bearings first and then see.

I don't think it's brake caliper related.

Yes, that's why I'm thinking do the wheel bearings first and then see.

I don't think it's brake caliper related.
That's a good plan. If you want to save some effort you can buy new hubs which come with the races already pressed in for the new bearings. Makes it a bit simpler, but at an added cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom