Is my starter about to fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On cold starts, once the engine is running and I release the key after the usual couple of seconds, I can hear what sounds like the starter continuing to run. This lasts 2-3 seconds and then the starter shuts off. Happens consistently when cold, 50/50 when warm.

I’m 99% sure it’s the starter I’m hearing because I can replicate the noise by not releasing the key once the engine starts. Sounds exactly the same.

My ignition switch has been a little sticky in the past, so I usually rotate the key back a little rather than just releasing it. That doesn’t seem to help any more, though.

So, troubleshooting steps? Start with ignition switch? Starter? Something else?

Probably time for a starter rebuild (new plunger and contacts).

The pinion gear that engages the flywheel is not releasing.
Starter should be disassembled and inspected and cleaned - or just replace the sucker.

Last edited:
My FSM has an entire section on troubleshooting and rebuilding your starter. While I love that it’s possible, a whole reman’d AC Delco starter is only about $100. Do people bother fixing them? Are parts even available?

Also, if I wanted to replace my sticky ignition switch, does that involve a re-key, or can I transfer the existing cylinder to the new switch?

I understand not being a fan of fixing or rebuilding things when you can just buy a complete unit, please don't get anything but Denso or Toyota reman starter. The cost is not much difference if you are trying to save a buck.

My FSM has an entire section on troubleshooting and rebuilding your starter. While I love that it’s possible, a whole reman’d AC Delco starter is only about $100. Do people bother fixing them? Are parts even available?

Also, if I wanted to replace my sticky ignition switch, does that involve a re-key, or can I transfer the existing cylinder to the new switch?

people do repair starters. brushes, the plunger/solenoid contacts, & sometimes bearings wear out. replacing those components and a few other little things will get you 80% of the way to a new starter. It's more work than a replacement, but for the price (<$50 last time I checked) & if you're comfortable taking those components apart, it's not a bad option.
There are some businesses that rebuild starters out there but they are becoming more and more rare.

A competent locksmith should be able to rekey a replacement ignition lock cylinder. I think @ToyotaMatt does that kind of thing or could get you some parts at least.

Rockauto and parts geek seem to have reman AC Delco starters for $80.

HTH

Ignition switch is separate from the key cylinder, no need to re-key. Easy to pull the key cylinder, then you have access to the ignition switch.

Ignition switch is separate from the key cylinder, no need to re-key. Easy to pull the key cylinder, then you have access to the ignition switch.
Yep, figured that out this morning. Pulled the key cylinder out of the ignition switch and then pulled the core out of the key cylinder. The core was really dirty and gritty - probably causing some rotational resistance in the cylinder. Got it nice and smoothly turning after some cleaning and re-greasing. Hopefully that solves it. If not, ignition switch itself or starter.

Did some quick math: 34 years old x 2 starts a day on average = ~25,000 revolutions of the core in the key cylinder. Imagine rotating anything that many times. When the vehicle is this old you actually start running into physical material limits.

Last edited:
I understand not being a fan of fixing or rebuilding things when you can just buy a complete unit, please don't get anything but Denso or Toyota reman starter. The cost is not much difference if you are trying to save a buck.
I always look for Denso or Aisin parts first, but neither appears to make a 62 starter, based on what I see in their catalogs.

Thanks! One of my usual sources shows it’s NLA, so that’s a nice surprise
2F4E5AF0-CC26-4F76-83A9-FC4D5B489F61.png

I forgot to mention that it is the same part numbers on later model FJ60, I replaced mine sometime last year with a reman unit from Mr. Toyoda.:)

- i have all common the possible culprits / OEM solutions :

NO CORE .....fyi

.1KW more power then a gear reduction type LIGHT YEARS ahead in technology NON -USA Varity

NO CORE ....fyi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom