Is my R12 A/C retrofited to r134a ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're going to convert, you MUST change the oil in the system, as the two oils do NOT get along.

Typically folks change the receiver/dryer, expansion valve, adapter fittings, all o-rings in the ENTIRE system, compressor oil.

I did exactly what Bilt4Me said. I flushed out the entire system using an A/C flush, replaced the dryer and replaced all the O-rings. I pulled the evap out to replace the expansion valve, flush it out, and get rid of 20 years of debris clogging up the fins. The O-ring kit I got had a replacement gasket for the compressor, so I flushed it out and replaced that gasket. Put on the R134a adapters. Put in the oil and buttoned the system all back together. I then pulled a vacuum using free rental pump from Autozone. Once I saw that it held a vacuum, I added the R134a.

It is pretty straight forward and easy. Oh, and I used Nylog Blue on all the O-rings and such because someone who was an A/C person on mud recommended it. It is one of the cheapest jobs I have ever done on the cruiser. I think I had maybe $50, including the oil and R134a.
Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely make sure to flush the system of the old oil and replace the seals. Does the dryer need to be fully replaced or can it just be flushed?

Thanks for the input guys. I'll definitely make sure to flush the system of the old oil and replace the seals. Does the dryer need to be fully replaced or can it just be flushed?
It needs to be replaced because there is a "bag" of desiccant in the bottom that is there to help keep moisture at bay. It also soaks up oil and that oil cannot be evacuated, even at a low vacuum. I'm sure there are some that have not replaced it, but there will be residual oil in it.

It needs to be replaced because there is a "bag" of desiccant in the bottom that is there to help keep moisture at bay. It also soaks up oil and that oil cannot be evacuated, even at a low vacuum. I'm sure there are some that have not replaced it, but there will be residual oil in it.
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the info!

Hi guys, hoping someone might have some advice for me. I've got a May 1993 1FZFE which I believe was originally fitted with an R12 system. The compressor had been removed before I bought the car. Not knowing much about this area of the car, I was at a wreckers recently and impulsively I bought an 80 series compressor (which is supposed to work) to suit a 1FZ-FE, not realising that my car was originally R12. So I now have a R134a compressor, and I can see that the hoses don't fit - the small guide poles are on the wrong side for the large and small connections. Chatting to a local mechanic they said it would save a lot of mucking around if I kept the same hoses and that they should be fine for R134a, if I could get the right connection plate/adaptors, and as long as I replaced a couple of other bits (the filter/drier I think they said).

My question is - is there an adaptor plate or or a way to connect these existing hoses to this compressor I now have? I'm in Australia. I've seen some adaptor plates/connectors that look promising. I can't mind much info on the Denso model I have at all - 447200-3545. It was a bit over $100 - a bit better than $600 for something new. But if I have to go down the new route, I will.

compressor & hoses.jpg

Denso label.jpg

Denso top.jpg

Hi guys, hoping someone might have some advice for me. I've got a May 1993 1FZFE which I believe was originally fitted with an R12 system. The compressor had been removed before I bought the car. Not knowing much about this area of the car, I was at a wreckers recently and impulsively I bought an 80 series compressor (which is supposed to work) to suit a 1FZ-FE, not realising that my car was originally R12. So I now have a R134a compressor, and I can see that the hoses don't fit - the small guide poles are on the wrong side for the large and small connections. Chatting to a local mechanic they said it would save a lot of mucking around if I kept the same hoses and that they should be fine for R134a, if I could get the right connection plate/adaptors, and as long as I replaced a couple of other bits (the filter/drier I think they said).

My question is - is there an adaptor plate or or a way to connect these existing hoses to this compressor I now have? I'm in Australia. I've seen some adaptor plates/connectors that look promising. I can't mind much info on the Denso model I have at all - 447200-3545. It was a bit over $100 - a bit better than $600 for something new. But if I have to go down the new route, I will.

View attachment 2910935
Actually I see now that those little guide posts can be easily removed....which means the r12 hoses now fit into the holes. Whether or not that is right remains to be seen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom