Is it legal to drive with your hatch open? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please don't flame me too much on this one, but I really can't get a straight answer for this --

-- and I know it may vary state-to-state,

but is it generally legal to drive around with the top-hatch of the 80 up?

THANKS!

eric ??? ???

Eric

Would you want to? I sometimes do when I have something big in the back. All you get is exhaust fumes blowing in. I had a 4Runner which had a rear window you could open as you drove along. It had the same problem - used to make the dog sick.

Jim

Wow, Jim -- I didn't know the fumes got in when you were driving, too -- guess that happens at stops and stuff --

-- if it was enough to make the dogs sick, do you think it did any brain damage to them?

-- my dad said they used to have a station wagon where the rear glass went down and the problem with that was when the glass was down, it would pull tons of dirt in --

-- nice job with the avatars!

e

long as you dont get caught :D
would think if its strapped down and nothing falling out noone would care in town. freeway might be another matter. see pickups without tailgates or tailgates down, would think itd be the same

In NJ it wouldn't be an issue so long as it was used to haul something - then if the object protruded 4' past the end of the truck all ya gotta do is put a red doorag on it.

I still don't know why you would want to? Just to get more air? Why not just open the windows and moon roof?

I have had to open the hatch on my '74 quite a lot to carry PVC pipe for potatoe guns etc... and sometimes just for ventilation (keep in mind air conditioning wasn't around in '74). I have never had a problem, thats in Georgia, we have pretty loose vehicle laws. Never even had trouble drivin with the windshield down, doors off, and no top.(BAAAAD idea over 35 mph :eek:) I would seriously doubt you would catch any crap from ANY self respecting police officer for having the rear hatch open. And it does help thru ventilation a LOT. I have never had problems pulling exhaust in with my dads bronco with the rear window down, however that is with side-discharge.

to carry PVC pipe for potatoe guns etc
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

... and you'd admidt this in public why? :D

Guess in GA you would spell it with an [glow=brown,2,917]e[/glow] on the end :D

Anything that explodes and shoots stuff fast is fun man! Howabout I open the hatch so I can let my deer rifles cool, so my rebel flag can hang out and flap in the wind, and so everyone Ga can hear my David Allen Coe. :D
American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God
thefinger.gif

Eric:

No 'prohibition' on the driving with the hatch up in Mis'sippi. After researching it, I suppose one could be ticketed here for 'wreckless driving' or some improper cargo or something, but I've not had a problem with PVC, 2x4's and the like.

Like Junk, here ya' gotta flag it if it extends....and like CruisinGA, we're pretty loose with vehicle laws...

Hey Junk - regarding the potato guns.....:) You really need to experience it before being so critical! (Psst - Hey CruisinGA - do you happen to have the plans for one? I lost mine.....)

AND FINALLY- regarding GA's quote "American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God"..I agree 100%! Reminds me of that ol' Southern hymn, "In Christ therre is no East or West, there is no North at all..." :)

I pretty much bootiefabbed mine. Just bought a 10 foot piece of 2 inch, and another 10 foot piece of i think 4 inch. Got a screw cap for the end, a grill ignitor, and a 2 to 4 inch adapter. Just screwed two deck screws in opposite of each other and attached the wires of the ignitor. Some pvc cleaner and cement and you are read to go. That is the ultra simple way, there are other ways that utilize elbow pieces to make a pistol style grip. I cut the 10 foot pieces in half and made two guns. I had to throw it out to clean out the garage, I will probably build another sometime. i'm working on one to lauch paint grenades for paintball. :))

Oh yeah :D Potato guns rock!! I remember when I first saw one being fired off. I was like :eek:

Not that I would know, but the potato guns rock!  Be careful though, 'cuz here in AZ they are considered a "firearm" as the projectile is expelled by expanding gasses.  
Doesn't matter here, hell me and a friend got pulled over by some cops because we were wrongly suspected in trespassing or something during deer season, there were two shotguns and two rifles in the truck, I was holding one, open boxes of shells on the dash (we just got back in from the woods) and the policeman didn't care. Neither of us were even 18 (supposedly lowest age to be legally able to carry guns in cars.) Wow its great to live in Ga. And did you know if you are over 18 and driving a pickup, you don't have to wear a seatbelt here? haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom