Is it feasible to Fix and Maintain 94 Cruise Control? or let it go rest in peace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having read many threads on this subject. The problem is and from what I have read seems to be inherent to some of the older Cruisers. When I turn on and engage my cruise control it lights up on the dash, when I try to engage it starts to blink. After 5 blinks, it turns off. The only way you can turn the cruise control back on is to restart the truck.

I used to search both Google and MUD.
I searched YouTube
I read the FMS
I read many threads here some of them with the exact problem, but nobody comes back to report success

I bought the rig like this the CC never work for me

The under hood CC original actuator come without the cover all rusted up so I ordered used unit and replaced, tightened the CC cable and the KD cable and it still didn't work.
Too many greasy hands touched my rig in the most intimate places over the years. The Toyota dealer diagnostic department drops dead on me.

Should I leave it be??

Attachments

• 1 Cruise_Control_System.pdf
    719.7 KB · Views: 63
They can be fixed. My '92 still works even if it's a bit flakey now and again. Parts are getting a little sparse but I rely heavily on cruse control so I completely understand the desire. I'd try to make sure the mechanism moves freely and has a little lubrication. Read any trouble codes and make sure all the switches and sensors are doing their thing. The service manual is critical for this work but it can be done. It turns out that the accelerator cable tension is a sensitive little adjustment. Too tight and you impact the idle. Too loose and cc seems to fail. I'm still learning myself. Good luck and don't give up till the money runs out!

They can be fixed. My '92 still works even if it's a bit flakey now and again. Parts are getting a little sparse but I rely heavily on cruse control so I completely understand the desire. I'd try to make sure the mechanism moves freely and has a little lubrication. Read any trouble codes and make sure all the switches and sensors are doing their thing. The service manual is critical for this work but it can be done. It turns out that the accelerator cable tension is a sensitive little adjustment. Too tight and you impact the idle. Too loose and cc seems to fail. I'm still learning myself. Good luck and don't give up till the money runs out!
One other thought. The brake fluid cap can begin to fail and prevent cc from setting. Bypass or try replacing this. And, or measure resistance to see if that could be the culprit. I get the exact same symptoms occasionally.

Since all professionals refused to take the job I decided to try to do it myself first I will read the code then rest the CC ECU and take it to test drive if it fails again I will read the codes again.

I decided to document the process with write up, pics and videos if necessary since I didn't find even one write up

Mine works just fine, but I dread the thought of not having it available. I would consider replacing some items for peace of mind if someone could walk us through it. It does seem like a finicky system and I am not touching mine unless something acts up, but a good write-up on the topic would be great for future reference as the trucks age.

Mine has done the same thing for nearly 20yrs.... When it does not want to activate CC, I let it be and continue on stepping on the skinny pedal, it is annoying though... Btw, it's a 93 too....

My 93 CC began acting up a year ago so I installed a spare 94 actuator and it worked for the next several engagements and I thought it was fixed but later on it acted up.
Next I cleaned the reservoir connector and it worked for a while.
Recently, I did a brake hydro booster mod that used a Wilwood MC. After that CC worked for a couple months or three and on last weekends trip it failed me.
Cable adjustments may be key. Let’s keep this thread updated as it will serve many in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom