How to tighten the Cruise Control Cable?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so my first shake out trip in my new to me 97 FZJ80 was this last weekend. All in all it was pretty good, the speedometer doesn't match the actual speed, likely I assume because it has 35" tires. I think I have a fix for that. the other thing was the cruise control light comes on but nobody is home. From what I can gather here on the forum its one of 3 things, the brake switch is faulty (from what I understand its the same switch for the brake light as for the cruise control disconnect, yes?), the cruise control cable is loose, or the speed sensor is dead. The brake switch is easy, I can still get on of those from rock auto, the speed sensor is also easy, I just had it out 2 weeks ago when I was removing the viscous coupler from the rear section of the transfer case. The cruise control cable is a bit of a mystery to me and I am pretty sure that is the problem because see below.

So the actuator is on the passenger side fender well, the cable is the one that goes across the middle of the page left to right. This looks good (sorry I haven't figured out how to add arrows to the pictures I post):
PICTURE 1
CC actuator and cable.jpg

The other end of the cable at the throttle body though, has an issue. The cruise control cable is the one in the middle lower of the picture with the 2 nuts on it. I assume that the cable is supposed to be held in the round cut out of the bracket directly in front of the 2 nuts and rubber cap on the cable? The 2 nuts would sandwich the cable in the bracket cutout correct?

PICTURE 2
CC cable at throttle body.jpg

Past the bracket I don't know how the cable is routed. below is a picture of what I see downstream of the bracket.

PICTURE 3
CC cable pic 3.jpg

I assume the cable is supposed to be captured somehow by the circular guide, the end of which you can see in the center bottom of the picture between the 2 horizontal cables (one is the throttle cable the other I can't remember).

PICTURE 4
CC cable pic 4.jpg

This fourth picture shows the end of the cruise control cable captured in the slot at the end of the cable guide. What I don't understand is how the cruise control cable is routed to take up all the slack? I figure I have at least 2" of slack.

Does anyone have pictures of how the cable goes/routed? The only tightening adjustment I see is the 2 nuts that would be captured in the slot in the bracket in picture 2. It looks to me there is waaaay more slack in the cable then can be adjusted by that. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:
The main problem is that the kickdown (Throttle) cable is in the wrong position. It's the cable with the fraying cloth wrapping. It should be in the middle position attached to the "upside down" pulley.

So starting from the front of the engine to rear the cables should be oriented :

Accelerator cable (top loaded pulley)
Throttle (kick-down) cable (bottom loaded pulley)
Cruise Control cable (top loaded pulley)

There should be one clamp that holds the cable to a bracket on the backside of the MAF. Then the cruise control cable should go to the rearmost pulley on the throttle body.

Photo taking from the front of the vehicle looking down: cruise control cable is at the top in the photo. Just out of the frame to the left should be a small plastic clamp/rivet that holds the cable to a bracket on the rear side of the MAF.

FZJ80 Throttle Body and cables top down view 2.png

Looking down on the engine while standing by the left fender: cruise control cable is furthest to the right
FZJ80 Throttle Body and cables top down view.png

Another view looking toward the engine from the right fender showing the correct positions of the cables connected to the Throttle Body

FZJ80 Throttle body cables passenger side view.png

One more showing the bracket and hanger clamp for the cruise control cable:

FZJ80 Cruise Control cable hanger clamp location.png

Last edited:
I see where the cable would be clamped to a bracket close to the MAF. That clamp is gone on my 80 series. Your pictures are of a different vehicle I assume? Not a 97 FZJ80?

The photos are from my 1997 FZJ80 (US Spec). They may look a bit different
because I put heat shrink tubing over all of them including the fatter Throttle (kick-down) cable with the fraying cloth wrap.

Main problem is that your Throttle cable and Cruise control cables are in the wrong positions (switched at the Throttle body). Read my post above and look at the photos, they are correct for your model.

@Damcowboy : I added a few more photos above, double click on the photos for a close up view.

Last edited:
Thanks Kernal for the pics. They answer some questions and also prompt a couple more. I need to study your pictures a while first I think

Last edited:
The photos are from my 1997 FZJ80 (US Spec). They may look a bit different
because I put heat shrink tubing over all of them including the fatter Throttle (kick-down) cable with the fraying cloth wrap.

Main problem is that your Throttle cable and Cruise control cables are in the wrong positions (switched at the Throttle body). Read my post above and look at the photos, they are correct for your model.

@Damcowboy : I added a few more photos above, double click on the photos for a close up view.
Thanks again for the pics Kernal. I hooked up the cables as per your pictures and everything works now!

Nice clean engine bay by the way, holy crap looks brand new. I clearly have more work to do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom