is $6k for 95 80 w/244K miles a good deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and have been looking to buy an 80. Today I saw a 95 with 244K miles and completely stock.
the good: new head gasket, radiator, brakes, front axle, reupholstered leather seats, carpet, and headliner. the undercarriage looks like a new vehicle, clean engine bay, no rust on body
the bad: 6 inch crack in windshield, no maintenance records prior to aforementioned maintenance, no lockers
the neutral: 17" sequoia wheels instead of the stock, missing radio face plate, antenna motor is out

He is asking $6000. What do you guys think? I will be using this vehicle for overlanding through asia, so reliability is important to me.

I've looked at Slees noob guide but didn't have time today to look at the truck in such detail plus I would probably take it to a mechanic before anything is done.

So is this a good price?

Thanks for your help.

that seems to be a decent price, i would want some more info on the headgasket repair, and any axle work.

Location is usually key, Some places sell higher than others, That being said get maint. records, It dosent sound bad, Did you drive it?
Im surprised they would replace the headliner, C-dan says they run about $2,000 plus install.
Good luck

I paid a little more than that for my 94 with 152K with lockers in Portland, OR. So I don't personally feel that 6K for a rig with 244,000 miles is a great deal. However it is an 80 so it would be hard not to grab if that was the best your area had to offer/thats what you can afford. I kinda wish I had been a little more patient and shopped around a bit more. Just my .02

Location is usually key, Some places sell higher than others, That being said get maint. records, It dosent sound bad, Did you drive it?
Im surprised they would replace the headliner, C-dan says they run about $2,000 plus install.
Good luck
I forgot to mention that it has new shocks as well. I'm located in Dallas, TX if that helps. The guy told me that he spent $3200 for the interior work but I was clueless about how much something like that would run. I haven't gotten a chance to drive it. I was driving back from lunch and I saw it in front of an AAMCO shop so just stopped in to get the price and briefly check it out. that also made me feel a little better about the work done on the truck.

FYI: the guy at the shop said that the owner of the shop passed away in Dec. and he was fixing the car for his daugter as a wedding present but the daughter doesn't want it anymore so he's selling it for her.

Check the work that was done

Price does seem reasoanble for a rig of that year and mileage. Get a copy of what work was done, drive it and ask questions. Then make your educated decsion. If you do purchase it make sure you baseline it. Thats what I did on mine, with help from all the useful information on this site and the members. Good luck and welcome!

He is asking $6000. What do you guys think? I will be using this vehicle for overlanding through asia, so reliability is important to me.

Let me get this straight. You are planning to take a 13 yo vehicle with ~250k miles, ship it to Asia, and drive over there for a few months or years? I think you are nuts.

You would be far, far better off paying $9,000 for one with ~125k miles and good maintenance records, knowing that you are planning an extended overseas trip and that reliability is important to you.

Yep, you are nuts. :flipoff2:

-B-

Just bought my 94 with lockers and 128K for $4800.00. Has new front seats, radiator, brakes, ignition. Runs awesome. Few minor things to fix. I think you could do a lot better.

Let me get this straight. You are planning to take a 13 yo vehicle with ~250k miles, ship it to Asia, and drive over there for a few months or years? I think you are nuts.

You would be far, far better off paying $9,000 for one with ~125k miles and good maintenance records, knowing that you are planning an extended overseas trip and that reliability is important to you.

Yep, you are nuts. :flipoff2:

-B-

don't beat around the bush, Beo, just tell him how you *really* feel....! :D

$6K with a new head gasket? Sounds decent to me. Which proves that there are as many opinions out there as assholes.

-Spike

Just bought my 94 with lockers and 128K for $4800.00. Has new front seats, radiator, brakes, ignition. Runs awesome. Few minor things to fix. I think you could do a lot better.

WOW what a deal ... :cheers: to you my friend

I just found my '96 with 159K for a little more than that (7K). No HG work, front had been serviced and spotty maintenenance records. It had been babied so I made the choice after a long and thorough inspection. I would guess it to be about right, there are always deals if you can wait until you find the right rig & price.

Curt

As stated in my original post, I'm a newbie and I'm just depending on the wisdom of the members of this forum to make an educated decision.

I was originally looking at 100's and 80's but the legendary reliability/toughness, ease of repair compared to the 100, availability of parts abroad, and lower bling factor of the 80's lead me to start leaning more heavily towards the 80 series.

I was figuring that since so much maintenance work had been done + the "over-engineered" quality of the 80 series would make it a fairly reliable vehicle. Since there were probs. like lack of maintenance records I thought I would check here before moving further.

Anyways thanks to everyone for the input.

p.s. Beowulf - I'm about to graduate from med. school in May and after 4 yrs of med. school you'd be a little nuts too.

There is an 80 for sale in Franklin, Texas. Asking price is $5K with 113k + miles. It's in Auto Trader and might be worth checking. I won't pay more than $5K for an 80 with 255K miles and no lockers. If you really like this 80, go ahead and test drive it and see how it feels. $6K is not too bad but I would recommend doing a compression and leak down test. Good luck!

Last edited:
As stated in my original post, I'm a newbie and I'm just depending on the wisdom of the members of this forum to make an educated decision.

I was originally looking at 100's and 80's but the legendary reliability/toughness, ease of repair compared to the 100, availability of parts abroad, and lower bling factor of the 80's lead me to start leaning more heavily towards the 80 series.

I was figuring that since so much maintenance work had been done + the "over-engineered" quality of the 80 series would make it a fairly reliable vehicle. Since there were probs. like lack of maintenance records I thought I would check here before moving further.

Anyways thanks to everyone for the input.

p.s. Beowulf - I'm about to graduate from med. school in May and after 4 yrs of med. school you'd be a little nuts too.

Welcome young Doc! Where in the hell in Asia will you end up residency? Are you at UT SW or UNTHS in FW?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom