Is 2000 Lexus Lx470 a good deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and was hoping to get some insight on purchasing my very first landcruiser/lx470.
I found one for a very good price compared to what others are being sold for but wanted to know if it’s worth taking the chance on it. It has 265,000 miles, the paint is peeling, there is some minor rust spots on driver side door and driver side wheel arch. The interior needs a good cleaning. The guy selling it doesn’t know the Maintainence history on it but says car is fine. From the pictures, doesn’t seem to be any rust on the undercarriage. I was hoping to go see it in person next week but would like your thoughts on this? Anything I should watch out for or make sure to test/check? Will it need timing belt replacement soon? Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
Yes, this ambiguously described vehicle with an undisclosed price is a good deal. You should take the advice of this internet stranger and purchase it.

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and was hoping to get some insight on purchasing my very first landcruiser/lx470.
I found one for a very good price compared to what others are being sold for but wanted to know if it’s worth taking the chance on it. It has 265,000 miles, the paint is peeling, there is some minor rust spots on driver side door and driver side wheel arch. The interior needs a good cleaning. The guy selling it doesn’t know the Maintainence history on it but says car is fine. From the pictures, doesn’t seem to be any rust on the undercarriage. I was hoping to go see it in person next week but would like your thoughts on this? Anything I should watch out for or make sure to test/check? Will it need timing belt replacement soon? Thanks for your help!!

Green is offset by the yellow and red flags, with the limited info you provided.

Reactions: jLB
Thanks guys - Here are some pics of the suv

E584ED52-FCBD-492D-A40A-1BDB801B4B20.png

D171756C-6950-4641-802C-7C599EFB4D93.png

F11B0C6D-8384-467E-A465-84A4DA3A2BF6.png

F9F1DF5A-3EF5-4B98-B651-EA0B4691556A.png

791966A1-89A4-4106-8AE8-D72C577BB842.png

If there is rust on the body, then I would imagine there is more than likely a rusty undercarriage. What I see from that undercarriage picture is a new muffler and a newer white (probably non-AHC) shock.

What is the asking price? Kinda hard to clarify on good deal w/o this info.

From pics, that truck is worth $2000 to me at best, that fender is rotted through.

You could always offer $1200 and see what happens. No matter what, be prepared to sink thousands of dollars and a lot of time into it. That's true of pretty much any older used vehicle, and these are no different. From what I can see of the undercarriage, that part actually looks pretty good but I'm curious how a fender rusts and rots out that fast without more visible rust issues underneath.. strange.

You can spend very little money entering the Land Cruiser world, followed by a good bit more money and sweat equity soon thereafter (this case), or you can spend a good bit more money initially and have less in the way of headaches and expenses during the first year(s) of ownership. Everyone's tolerances, skills, and finances are different. If the frame is good, the engine runs well, the transmission shifts smoothly, you're secure enough financially to buy a few thousand dollars worth of parts if they're needed, and you have the skills to work on the truck, I can't see a reason not to go for it. If you're planning on paying someone to work on it, I think you'd be better off buying a better cared-for example of the breed. All the garbage in the seats in the pics doesn't give me a warm fuzzy as to how well this vehicle was treated or maintained.

Get it for as cheap as possible and do it. Worst case scenario you are in over your head and can probably sell for not a whole lot less if any loss what you paid for it...

Get the VIN and sign up here and enter it:
www.lexusdrivers.com

To make it more interesting, I just saw this 2003 land cruiser that looks aesthetically in better condition with 300,000 miles but the guy is asking $4400 for it

For that cruiser, if he has maintenance records for at least the tb/wp and heater T's done that isn't terrible. You're in Jersey so rust is inevitable but it depends on the severity. Same would apply (rust) to the LX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom