Ironman Awning LED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an awning and I am leaning toward the Ironman set up. The LED light strip built in is a big reason for purchasing this over the ARB so I wanted to reach out here and see I anyone has any direct experience with the awning and light along with any other tips or heads up. Thank in advance for the help.

What color is the LED? I'm finding my awning light is the biggest bug magnet in camp.

I have no experience with that specific product though.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Cover the LEDs with Red electrical tape = less bugs at night and fully removable!

I've added an led light strip to my TJM awning. I used an indoor out door 12v led strip with adapter plugs for the dimmer switch total cost was around $25. The remaining led strip were installed under my lift gate.

You can't make out the brightness from the pictures but saying they get the job done would be an understatement.

Amazon.com: HitLights Weatherproof LED Light Strip - Cool White 5000K SMD 3528 - 300 LEDs, 16.4 Ft Roll - 12V DC - 72 Lumens / 1.3 Watts per Foot - Indoor IP-30 - Adhesive Backed for Easy Installation - LED Tape Light: Musical Instruments

inShareplus 5 Pack 5.5 X 2.1mm Barrel Power 12V Male to Female DC Power Jack Adapter Connector Plug for CCTV Security Camera LED Strip - - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: HitLights LED Strip Light Mini Touch Dimmer, Black, Easy DC Jack Installation, 5-24V DC, 4A Max, LED Tape Light: Musical Instruments

0420172001a.jpg

Last edited:
What color is the LED? I'm finding my awning light is the biggest big magnet in camp.

I have no experience with that specific product though.

Good luck!

Interesting. Somewhat related: I replaced all of my exterior house lights with LED bulbs and the bug issue dropped significantly. Where I used to have to remove the glass covers on our patio ceiling lights monthly to dump out the accumulated bug carcasses....now, I haven't had to do that in more than 2 years. My home LED are 4k (soft white) vs the 6k predominant in auto applications. I wonder if that is the difference.

I was just going to suggest putting your own lighting whether is be strips or other lighting methods.

I personally have used this one in a tent and around camp sites before and I really prefer the warmer light compared the standard "blue" LEDs.
Amazon.com : SunJack CampLight USB LED Bulb with 340 Lumens, Warm White : Sports & Outdoors

I just found these too available in a warm white. I think I might actually go ahead and order a set for myself
Amazon.com : Elflight USB Camping Strip Lights, 5ft LED Rope Lights Lantern Strip String Linear Light For Hiking, Safety, Emergencies, TV Backlight (Warm White) : Sports & Outdoors

I have been tempted to give these a shot.

luminoodle-camping

I backed their flashlight on kickstarter earlier this year. Will most likely order the ironman set up tonight and add additional lighting to the awning and the tailgate.

Beyond the lights the ironman awning seems to be a fair comparable to the ARB and comes with mounting hardware. I will post a review/write up once I get everything set up.

Warm white LEDs appear to attract less bugs than 'cold' white LEDs. Warm white provides better CRI so if you are cooking at night your steaks will looks much more appetizing :)

cheers,
george.

I went with the luminoodle from power practical with color options and remote and the iron man awning. The lights are here and AWESOME. I backed a kickstarter flashlight from the same company and like their style. The awning should be here Monday and I will post pics of the full set up asap.

I'm late for the party but wanted to share some info on my Ironman awning light setup. Since this awning gets moved between three rigs, I purchased one of them 6' long, warm white flexible LED strip with sticky back that is setup for 5vdc. An inexpensive rechargeable battery that has an USB output is what I use to power up the LED strip. This setup works well and is movable between rigs. Just for S&G, grabbed a roll of red cellophane gift wrapping material from Hobby Lobby for $5 and cut a long one inch strip then covered the whole LED strip with it. At night, this is much easier on the eyes, even though I already have warm white LEDs, my night vision isn't impacted what so ever. Cool thing is that you can use the LED strip even when the awning isn't deployed by simply unrolling a little bit of the awning and placing it up and over the whole shebang.

Anyway, just a FYI.

Installed the awning this afternoon. I had a spare set of square Thule racks and the mounts included with the Iron man set up fit perfectly inside the racks. Picked up some longer screws and mounting was done.

Unravelling was fairly simple for my first time. Not an easy task for one person but I am sure I will get better with time.

The included led lights come with a standard 12 volt adaptor and a separate alligator clip for extra battery. It was still daylight when I turned it on but it seemed to work good.

The real rest will be taking it out to Bryson City NC this weekend. I will post pics of the awning in action soon.

What I used was a strip of LED with remote control form Amazon, use red for bug control, no issues so far and when needed I can switch to any color desirable. For the power source I use 3S battery from my RC drone, since battery is 12VDC so is the LED strip.

Installed the awning this afternoon. I had a spare set of square Thule racks and the mounts included with the Iron man set up fit perfectly inside the racks. Picked up some longer screws and mounting was done.

Unravelling was fairly simple for my first time. Not an easy task for one person but I am sure I will get better with time.

The included led lights come with a standard 12 volt adaptor and a separate alligator clip for extra battery. It was still daylight when I turned it on but it seemed to work good.

The real rest will be taking it out to Bryson City NC this weekend. I will post pics of the awning in action soon.

You'll get better with each time. These are the steps I take usually: open up the zipper, pull out the two horz poles out of the way, unfurl then have my 11 yo daughter stand in the middle and hold it. After that it's just connect the poles and drop out the vert poles. Totally doable by myself but always nice to have another person.

One thing to note, use a zipper lube right from the beginning. The kind that's dry wax base, not liquid based.

Another tip: if you don't feel like staking down the poles with guy ropes each time, I use a heavier duty version of reuseable grocery bags and stuff them with rocks. Then hang one bag per pole. I wouldn't do this over night but for a quick lunch spot, does the trick.

Thanks for the tips! So far this thing is Awesome!

We went up to a mountain cabin and I got to use the awning a few separate times. First night we set it up there was a constant rain with little to no wind. Made sure to angle the awning slightly and it was bone dry. Led light was super bright and seems reliably wired. Next afternoon set it back up in perfect weather and enjoyed the shade.

Drove over 800 miles with it and road noise was minimal. Overall I am very impressed with the awning and am looking forward to logging some hours under it in the coming months.

20170625_174230.jpg

20170622_221040.jpg

20170625_174748.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom