Iron Man Suspension first impression (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So, you've had the suspension for over a year. How are the parts holding up?
I'm looking at replacing my worn out OME suspension and am looking into the Ironman suspension as an option.

Cheers,
Mike

I have had the 4 inch springs and castor plates on the front of my rig for a year now and ever thing is aok
I have put some hard wheeln on them over the last year or so and the last few months with a winch on the front and they have been fine
I dont run iron man springs in the rear, my rear springs are FOR
The springs have held up fine from a spring point of view

I dont run iron man springs in the rear, my rear springs are FOR

How's the handling with that?

I've driven with mismatched shocks (pro comp front, OME rear) and did not like it one bit.

The rear springs were free from FOR a while back for a warranty issue and I could not get front springs from him because he no more so I went with Iron man for the front
I actually rides pretty nice, the front is a little stiff but I think it is more shock related
It is usually nice one hand driving when I want to
All my shocks are matching BDS hydro shocks for an F350 super duty with eye to eye conversion 12 inches rear and 10 inches front, with modified rear upper shock mounts for the longer shocks
The truck handles pretty well for what it is considering with the springs and the spacers front and rear I am sitting at 5+ inches of lift

I'm looking at replacing my worn out OME suspension and am looking into the Ironman suspension as an option.

Cheers,
Mike

my 2" kit is holding up fine. Little surface rust on the shocks but nothing I'm worried about.

Cheers,
Mike

Missed this one. Parts are still in good shape except for the dent in the rear right shock body. Works fine and handles great. I love to drive it.

I'm starting my 2" Ironman overhaul tonight... Dang I can't wait!

Eicca, I am doing a 2 1/2" Iron Man lift and was wondering what size/model tire your going with?

35s eventually :D right now I'm rocking some 33x12.5s that I just put on in December

so all you have are the springs and shocks? any way you could list off what armor and extra weight your running? i'm debating between the 4 inch and 2 inch springs and if it's ok to not run the panhards and drive shaft and all that jazz then might as well go for the 4. thanks

OK is a relative term.

I'm running the OEM driveshafts. My specs are below. My truck is about 6800 lbs in DD mode of operation.

At 4" you had better be prepared for the real possibility of a driveshaft change. Typed poorly from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Three years of daily use and weekend off road, still going strong. I wish I could say the same for the other 80 in the picture.These pics were today after some Monday pipmping... :cool:

Tractor 2 Side.jpg

El Tractor 2 Left spring.jpg

El Tractor 2 & La Tractorcita.jpg

El Tractor 2 Ft Tire.jpg

El Tractor 2 Passenger side.jpg

I am looking at the 4” kit pro foam cell from Ironman, what about the adjustable upper/lower trailing arm? necessary or not? also, caster bush kit and steering damper. for 97 lx450 btw. eventually looking for bumper winch tire carrier etc

If there is any info, please share!

I am looking at the 4” kit pro foam cell from Ironman, what about the adjustable upper/lower trailing arm? necessary or not? also, caster bush kit and steering damper. for 97 lx450 btw. eventually looking for bumper winch tire carrier etc

If there is any info, please share!

At 4" you should adjust for the change in the pinion angle in the rear. Either with longer rear lowers or shorter uppers. No need to replace both. Personally I went with the longer "LandTank" lowers that corrected both my pinion and the lack of strength of the OEM's

I would opt for caster plates or front radius arms to correct caster up front for 4" of lift. Bushings are a better option for less than 3" of lift due to the limitations of offset within the bushing. Plus the OEM bushings will offer better flex.

extended brake lines, sway bar mounts, adjustable panard bars, etc are all things you should do with a 4" lift. If you don't safety and handling will be compromised.

2019, still working fine...

At 4" you should adjust for the change in the pinion angle in the rear. Either with longer rear lowers or shorter uppers. No need to replace both. Personally I went with the longer "LandTank" lowers that corrected both my pinion and the lack of strength of the OEM's

I would opt for caster plates or front radius arms to correct caster up front for 4" of lift. Bushings are a better option for less than 3" of lift due to the limitations of offset within the bushing. Plus the OEM bushings will offer better flex.

extended brake lines, sway bar mounts, adjustable panard bars, etc are all things you should do with a 4" lift. If you don't safety and handling will be compromised.
if the kit has caster plates, adjustable caster bushings might be a nice extra but not necessary, correct? i wonder, to go with replacing the upper or lower trailing arm if both arent needed

If caster plates can’t offer enough correction for your choosen lift then I’d go with radius arms to do it rather than combine plates/bushings to achive more.

Slee’s 4” kit will give you a good idea of what should be done to maintain proper suspension geometry. Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension

There is of course more than one way to skin the cat. But one way or another each aspect should be addressed. If not, the safety of you or those around you may be compromised.

This subject has been beaten to death here many times. And other opinions are sure to follow.

If caster plates can’t offer enough correction for your choosen lift then I’d go with radius arms to do it rather than combine plates/bushings to achive more.

Slee’s 4” kit will give you a good idea of what should be done to maintain proper suspension geometry. Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension

There is of course more than one way to skin the cat. But one way or another each aspect should be addressed. If not, the safety of you or those around you may be compromised.

This subject has been beaten to death here many times. And other opinions are sure to follow.
Thanks for info/link!

If all possible, I would stay away from the caster bushings. I used drop brackets, which now are almost impossible to find. That corrected my suspension 100%. I know some people that had made them.
80-Series-Front-Control-Arm-Drop-Brackets-1.jpg

If all possible, I would stay away from the caster bushings. I used drop brackets, which now are almost impossible to find. That corrected my suspension 100%. I know some people that had made them.View attachment 1948340
Are these in addition to the caster plates that come with the kit??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom