Intro Message! Just jined the group and just got a 1996 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!

I got a message recommending me to post an intro msg! Here I am!!

I just joined this forum after getting a 1996 80 totally stock! Great condition I feel!

Auto Trans
Factory lockers...etc Loaded!
Totally stock!

Not sure if I want to mod or leave it the way it is. What do you guys recommend!

Do you travel out of Florida? Is there anywhere you want to go that you can't go with the rig in stock form?

I'd say keep it stock for at least a few months but ideally for a year or more. During that period catch up on any maintenance items and make sure the rig is baselined. Suspension bushings, steering tightness, etc. are among the items that may need attention and may take a while to sort out.

During your "stock" operation period make notes on your planned build and you'll likely watch it evolve over time. Desired tire size, lift height, bumper/armor, lights/accessories, etc. seem to change as you read on the forum, check out other rigs and learn how you use your 80. Some folks start out wanting to go big but end up appreciating a closer to stock height rig. Other folks wish they would have jumped straight to 40" tires and all the changes required to run them. There aren't really right or wrong approaches but you can save a lot of time and $$ if you avoid building multiple versions of your rig.

The main exception I'd consider to the "keep it stock" for a while plan would be creature comforts like cup holders, sound system, seating repairs, power outlet additions and similar. There are some creature comfort areas that may benefit from long term thought, like the sound system or interior wiring plan, but most of these are low risk and high value in my opinion, regardless of where the build ends up. If you regularly have passengers they'll really appreciate spots for their drinks and ways to plug in their devices.

A big benefit of running stock for a while is that you'll get a feel for how the brakes "should" work, how the suspension and steering geometry "should" feel, how much power the engine really has with stock tires, etc. Even small changes of 1" in tire or lift height will impact acceleration/braking and balance/stability a little. I personally think it's important to consider all aspects of setup changes and not to overweight factors like appearance/cosmetics, which is easy to do.

Good luck and share some pictures of the new rig!

Last edited:
Welcome. Hopefully you can post up some photos. This forum is a wonderful resource. People are helpful—unless you fail to search for your answers first—then folk might give you a hard time!

@jpoole has given you excellent advice. Start baselining all the fluids and give it a good scrub from top to bottom. There are going to be plenty of small to medium maintenance tasks ahead of you, but this community will be your very best resource.

Also look in the resources section as download a copy of the Factory Seevice manual (FSM) for your year and read the FAQ that is a stick thread at the top. You will be light years ahead of some of your fellow forum members.

Welcome! :flipoff2:

I'd say keep it stock for at least a few months but ideally for a year or more. During that period catch up on any maintenance items and make sure the rig is baselined. Suspension bushings, steering tightness, etc. are among the items that may need attention and may take a while to sort out.

During your "stock" operation period make notes on your planned build and you'll likely watch it evolve over time. Desired tire size, lift height, bumper/armor, lights/accessories, etc. seem to change as you read on the forum, check out other rigs and learn how you use your 80. Some folks start out wanting to go big but end up appreciating a closer to stock height rig. Other folks wish they would have jumped straight to 40" tires and all the changes required to run them. There aren't really right or wrong approaches but you can save a lot of time and $$ if you avoid building multiple versions of your rig.

The main exception I'd consider to the "keep it stock" for a while plan would be creature comforts like cup holders, sound system, seating repairs, power outlet additions and similar. There are some creature comfort areas that may benefit from long term thought, like the sound system or interior wiring plan, but most of these are low risk and high value in my opinion, regardless of where the build ends up. If you regularly have passengers they'll really appreciate spots for their drinks and ways to plug in their devices.

A big benefit of running stock for a while is that you'll get a feel for how the brakes "should" work, how the suspension and steering geometry "should" feel, how much power the engine really has with stock tires, etc. Even small changes of 1" in tire or lift height will impact acceleration/braking and balance/stability a little. I personally think it's important to consider all aspects of a setup changes and not to overweight factors like appearance/cosmetics, which is easy to do.

Good luck and share some pictures of the new rig!
very well put!

Slee also has a good article for 80 series newbies, which is really informative. Welcome to the madness and grease the hinges on your wallet.

Drive it. It'll tell you what you want that you don't have. Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom