Into (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to introduce myself I picked up my 80 (96, 90K S/R, Lockers, RR, all records….., paid $13.7k). BTW, I live in Portland Or and would love to get together with other FJ for some easy/moderate wheeling (I’m a newbie).

I’m going through the maint just so I have done most things myself. I changed the oil w/ M1 10/30, I’m going to change the diffs and transfer case also with synthetic not sure which brand. So here is my first question, do to the higher temps that the synthetic can take is it possible to go with a lighter wt? I’m also looking at replacing the transmission fluid, as I understand I’m better off having the fluid exchanged rather than flushed is this correct? I bought the Toyota pads F&R and the FSM walked out about $200 lighter (ouch). I expect to be doing the PHH how long does this take? (I’m aware of the write up on the Slee site, and will refer to it).

If I use the fob to lock the car and un lock with the key the alarm goes off is this normal or can it be adjusted? Otherwise other than the gas mileage I love my 80 and plan on putting a lot of miles on it.

Now for what might be a slightly touchy subject with some (from the archives) I’m looking for a brush bar. The reason I want a brush bar is for traveling with fly rods and not having to break them down (between fishing sites)… The rods I use are anywhere from 13’-16’ long depending on where I’m fishing Nor Cal to BC interior. I plan on strapping one end to the bar and the other end over the cab to a single yak rack (I already have a single and have set it up).

Any direction? I’m watching ebay, paper anyone got one laying around? Anyway great site and info on the forum I’m slowly going through the old post great info.

Andre

BTW, where in the FSM does it describe replacing the antenna mast?

Andre,
Congrats on the new Cruiser and welcome to ih8mud.

>> So here is my first question, do to the higher temps that the synthetic can take is it possible <<
>> to go with a lighter wt? <<

Yes. Some have switched to M1 0-40w

>> ... as I understand I'm better off having the fluid exchanged rather than flushed is this correct? <<

Yes. A drain/fill only replaces about 4 qts. Having a fluid exchange replaces all the ATF. Be sure you have it done at a place where you are confident they know what they are doing and that they are using the proper equipment and fluids. (No cleaner)

>> I expect to be doing the PHH how long does this take? <<

Approx 4 hrs. Maybe less if you're lucky and have small hands.

>> If I use the fob to lock the car and un lock with the key the alarm goes off <<
>> is this normal or can it be adjusted? <<

Normal and a real PITA for most of us.

>> I'm looking for a brush bar. <<

:slap:

Don't put that cheezy crap on your cruiser. Get a real bar like the ARB or the Slee.

>> BTW, where in the FSM does it describe replacing the antenna mast? <<

It's not covered in the FSM. You can probably do an advanced search here in the archives and in the SOR archives ("antenna mast") We've covered it many times. It's a 1 :banana: repair. The Haynes manual has a little info on the mast replacement and on the radio antenna removal (if you have to go that far...)

If you stick a brush guard on your truck, please don't tell us and please don't post pics. Somebody will revive the puke icon and it will get real messy around here.

:D

-B-

Floater.

:flipoff2:W :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:L :flipoff2:C :flipoff2:O :flipoff2:M :flipoff2:E :flipoff2:
[move] :flipoff2:[/move] [move] :flipoff2:[/move]
[move] :flipoff2:[/move] [move] :flipoff2:[/move]

Related to the brush bar, you should still get the ARB. It wil meet your rod requirements, and allow you some beef if you need it when back in the woods. Any fragile little bar may just cause more issues than it's worth.

Welcome to the forum. :flipoff2: :D

Welcome, Brad (Shortbus) and I are in the Vancouver area, so you're not alone. I don't go "wheelin' ", though I would have fun learning if there is someone experienced out there, close by. I have replaced the mast on mine, it is fairly self explanatory. Use some needle nose pliers to get the chrome ring off the antenna base then remove the mast, use two small pliers/wrenchs to unscrew the plastic cable from the mast then put back to gether in reverse.

Welcome floatinghat
We're neighbors, i live just outside Portland,Or.
Do you fish for the sea run cutthroats as well with a smaller pole of course... ;) I know a few tributaries in the coast that offers some mild wheelin' to get there. But i also know and have wheeled a few areas that would require more mods then a stock lift.. Again welcome and i have to say along with most here, the arb bumpers are the ticket for me later as well.
Let's face it our coast range is full of North America's largest Elk. (The Roosevelt)....
Anyway welcome again..... :D

Pokemon (who is putting a radiator in tomorrow)
91.fj80...162k

I have a 95 with 130K+ miles. I run Mobil 1 5w30, also 75w90 synthetic in the diff's and transfer case. I do the fluid exchange no cleaner in the transmission, use Mobil synthetic transmission fluid. (takes about 14 Quarts to do the exchange). I use about 1 quart of oil between 5K mile changes. Hope this helps

What about one of those big pipes? You see them on top of work vans... used to haul conduit, or copper pipe, rain gutter parts, etc. they have a little door in the back, 16' long, think they even lock. Strap one of those to your Yakima bars, put your fly rods inside where they'll be safe from the branches and other elements, suspend it from the ceiling in your garage when you're not using it. Save your brush guard $$ for the real deal.

Just a thought... welcome. BTW, I just switched to M1 syn in all 3 gear boxes and things are running great, that little whirr at high speeds is a little quieter too.

1st, Welcome :D
I fab a nice rod holder out of pvc pipe and 2 end caps like the one nakman described... a whole lot cheaper!

Thanks for the input. FT41 we'll have to get together and "learn" some trails in the area. I work in the 'couve, although I travel a fair amount. Thanks for the mast info, I'll rep[lace mine after it gets bent again.

Pokeman. I have fished for cutts although not in a few years with limited time I usually fish for steelhead with a two hander. Although I think it would be a blast to get over there and give it a go.

The PVC thing just doesn't work with the two handed rods for a couple of reasons. The first is them banging together. With a couple of the reels I fish with thats $1,500 a pop. Multiple tht by 2 or 3 others on the ride pretty serious $$.

hat once again welcome.
we tried to warn you about the brush gaurds but you wouldnt listen. no just teasing, something to think about is fabbing a c shape that you can run form the bumper up to the hood line. can pop it off whn you are not fishing or leave it on just to make peopel ask questions. pokemon is on the money though putting a arb or slee bull bar on the front is cheap insurance against deer and elk. I am alos in hte northwest but I manage a body shop. so from my industry I will say yeah brush gaurds are cool. from my heart I will say they cause more problems.
Dave

Funny you mention the C shape as that is something I have also been thinking about but i'm wondering about making it strong enough yet removeable. I was thinking of 1 1/4" electrical EMT flattend and bent around to a shape that would work but wondered about the "cheese factor". I really don't think the brush bars are too cool, I guess I wouldn't make it in LA.

Maybe I'll try the EMT first and see I have a while as my winter fishing is more limited.

andre

[quote author=floatinghat link=board=2;threadid=7911;start=msg66693#msg66693 date=1069554551]
I changed the oil w/ M1 10/30, I’m going to change the diffs and transfer case also with synthetic not sure which brand. So here is my first question, do to the higher temps that the synthetic can take is it possible to go with a lighter wt?
Andre

[/quote]

The temps that a synthetic will take before it oxidizes and cokes from additive breakdown are independent from the thickness and film strength at operating tempurature. Given Mobil 1 10w-30 is already a very light 30 weight, borderline 20 weight, I would not consider using a thinner oil. You may want to consider going the 0w-40 Mobil 1 if you notice the oil pressure is low when hot out.

Cary

congrats on the cruiser. I am near the portland area (Sherwood) if you ever want to hit some trails with your new rig!!

tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom