Interval Wipers Tech (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Starting this thread to document my new interval wiper design. This will use the stock 2 speed wiper switch with a programable delay relay. The Lo speed position will be the programable delay, hi speed will be high speed. First step was to make the test setup. I used a nissan wiper motor since it was $20 vs the very expensive FJ40 wiper motor. Nissan switched their wipers on the ground side like the FJ40 wipers do so it is a suitable stand in. The wire colors I used are not accurate but they work. I documented the actual connector wire colors and positions on the rear side (the side the wires come out of). I also had to make a short conversion harness to transition from the 6 place connector on the motor to the 4 place windshield connector.

20210603_121812.jpg

I decided to go a different route with this. I made a piggyback module to get the timer relay to work vs tearing into it like my initial plan. I implemented the prototype with some relays I had laying around but the final version will be solid state.
20210622_130431.jpg

Good evening,

I started down a similar path, but decided to go with a pre assembled wiper delay from a company called Qkits Electronics.

RegardsView attachment 2711624

I think the idea is to retain just the stock wiper switch in the dash. With the above you have to mount the pot somewhere.

I was able to solder up the prototype for the interval wiper relay. Tested it on the bench then in the truck temporarily. Pull the switch out one notch, the blades make a sweep around 5 sec interval. If you want a different time, hit the washer briefly, then wait for the interval you want and hit the washer again. Based on the testing I did, you can change the interval at any time by repeating the above without having to turn the wipers off and on. If you just want high, pull the knob out to the second notch. I need to wrap the wires and get the board installed in its box. This is 100% plug in for 69-77 wipers that have a wiper switch like this:

image_2021-07-05_153605.png

One plug connects to the switch, one plugs to the existing washer switch plug. There is a long blue wire that goes over and connects between the bullet connectors for the wipers just below the windshield (blue wire) for power. The existing washer wire connects to the male connector and the female connects to your wiper switch. There is a lot more going on in the picture of the wiring because of my temporary setup using jumpers.

20210705_144825.jpg

I have the three speed switch with the Nissan module in my truck so am looking for someone that wants to try this one out for a while (69-77 with the above wiper switch). PM me if interested.

The @Engineer8000 , Mr. Russ

you never cease to Amaze me in every way shape and form :D

excellent show brother ! :cool:

I received a few connectors in the mail to make a few of these, using the original FJ40 3 speed wiper switch and Nissan adjustable wiper module. One of these switches could be also combined with the programmable module I'm using with the two speed switch to maintain the low speed but this is much easier to make. I have mine set to 5 or so seconds.

20210727_180702.jpg

I've been the 2 speed wiper switch beta tester. Below is the summary. Its a bit long, but I'm hoping to eliminate questions/gray areas. Without further ado:

Engineer8000 2 Speed Wiper Switch Review:

Disclaimer 1: I have no financial interest or stock in the Engineer8000 Corporation (E8C). This is a free review.

Disclaimer 2: I took video of the wipers in intermittent mode at various delay settings. I forgot I cannot post videos on Mud. So now I’m fighting the sarcasm within and NOT posting a still photo of the wipers in the parked position. Sorry, you guys are going to have to read.

Test constraints: About half a dozen trips in a NA 1974 FJ40 (12v) with the OEM wiring harness and wiper setup. Max continuous time in use was approximately 25 minutes.

Overall impressions: This product in its current state is a quality component and VASTLY superior to the factory switch functionality. I really, really like it. But it’s not without its flaws. More on that below.

Background:
What this product does is “highjack” the wiper "LO speed" switch position and turn it into an “static intermittent wiper” or a “variable intermittent wiper” position. With the wiper switch in “intermittent wiper” (formerly LO) position, the washer function now becomes the initiation/setting trigger for the variable delay if you choose to use it. You don't have to. Note: Every time you twist the washer switch, you will get a bit of washer fluid coming out of the washer nozzle (assuming you have a functioning system).

Installation:
Installation is a snap. Remove the wiper switch knob (set screw). Unscrew knob, collar, and remove the switch. Wire as noted in the previous Engineer8000 photo above. Took me 5 minutes. Now is a good time to clean up were the wiper switch grounds to the back of the dashboard. Remember the washer function of the switch grounds to the dash, so if you test the installation before reassembly you have to run a jumper ground wire to the switch.

Operation:
Pull the switch to the “intermittent” (formerly “LO”) position. This places the wiper into a static 5 second intermittent sweep. It will maintain this delay timing indefinitely. This alone is worth the price of admission.

To take advantage of the variable intermittent timing, initiate the variable timing program by rotating the washer switch when the wiper is in the parked position. This will initiate a wiper sweep and the begin the variable program timing function. When the wipers comes back to park, set the new timing by rotating the switch a second time. The time between when the wipers come to the parked position and the rotating of the switch the second time is the new intermittent timing duration. Since the timing has (I believe) an infinite adjustment, this product is nicer than most new car intermittent wipers since their delay variance is limited. It is VERY nice having a 20 second sweep time when sitting at a red light.

OTOH, the variable timing duration can be set very low. So low, it is essentially like having a LO speed switch setting again. However, it can be difficult to get yourself out of this timing mode with so little time available with the wipers in the parked position to trigger the program. So far in my limited testing, I’ve found little reason to go less than 5 seconds in the timing. If I need more wiper sweeps, I just go to HI which isn’t tremendously fast. IOW, I generally want more delay, not less.

Product critiques:
The biggest critique I have with this product lies in the adjustment mechanism. It can be confusing whether you are on the “initiation” or the “setting” twist of the washer knob. This is especially true as the wiper timing is reduced. “Did the wipers just sweep because I twisted the washer switch, or because it was the programed time?” Now you are in the game of circling back on yourself with washer twists. Are you "initiating" or "setting"? I’m not sure there is really a great way around this. If the wiper switch had a light, that light could possibly be highjacked to be an indicator that the variability timing of the switch has been triggered. But alas, no OEM wiper switch with light available from Mr T. But perhaps a small LED indicator light on a few feet of wire could be used. It could be mounted in a blank dashboard hole easily enough. Just drill a hole in an OEM plastic hole cover. Then you’d know if you are "initiating" or "setting".

The second critique point, which is more likely addressable, is that it would be nice if the entire system was reset if the wiper switch was momentarily positioned OFF. I know the timing does eventually reset back to the baseline 5 seconds, but I really couldn’t figure out how long it took. I’d like it instantaneous. This would aid greatly in regaining timing control back if you set the timing too short, or just wanted to go back to a 5 second delay.

Final thoughts:
It is overall, a very good product and well put together. I’ve been wanting a product like this for YEARS and I absolutely recommend it to anyone looking to add a simple (or variable) delay wiper setting. It works great right out of the box and I'm not looking to give it back. However, if you live somewhere where you are driving in constant rain all the time, perhaps the potential three position switch might be better suited (albeit more expensive due to the limited availability of the switch). Maybe E8C will need a beta tester for that...:hmm:

Last edited:
New design on the table. I have been working with a company that produces aftermarket interval wiper modules for vintage cars/trucks. They produced a design that works with the FJ40 wipers. This is the prototype:

Converts your factory two-speed wipers to have three delay speeds in addition to the factory slow and fast speeds. You must have the two-speed wipers (both the motor and the switch).

The internal software monitors the switch to determine if the wiper speed needs to change. Much like paddle shifters can be used to sequence an automatic transmission up or down the gears, the stock switch tells the software to increase or decrease the current setting. Move the switch briefly to the fast position and then back to the middle will shorten the delay one notch. Moving the switch briefly to the off position and back to the middle will lengthen the delay one notch. There are six possible states: off, once every 8 seconds, once every 5 seconds, once every 3 seconds, continuous slow, and continuous fast. Use the stock switch as previously described to sequence through the possible states. Leave the switch in the fast position to instantly move to the stock fast speed. Leave the switch in the off position to immediately go to the off state.

20210926_132625.jpg

I wanted one that had adjustable delay while using the stock switch and not adding another control for the delay. This one has 4 slow speeds and a high. Plus these fj40 wipers switch on the ground side of the motor, not that common of an arrangement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom