Internet Router Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ha. TWC service guy showed up at the door today.

"So you don't have an internet problem?"
"nope, everything is great, but while you're here I can give you the old cable box"
"okay"
"and I could use a longer piece of RG6 so I can relocate my new box"
"Sure thing"

Tadah.

Ha. TWC service guy showed up at the door today.

"So you don't have an internet problem?"
"nope, everything is great, but while you're here I can give you the old cable box"
"okay"
"and I could use a longer piece of RG6 so I can relocate my new box"
"Sure thing"

Tadah.

on a Sunday? wow, your location is even more fancy than I first thought :)

I begrudgingly bought 3 samsung TV's to make the wife happy. Delivered today. Opened box #1. This one will only be used for smart tv functions. No broadcast tv unless I do an OTA on it. Type in my network password. Ok, it's connected. Next step in the process says it can't access the internet/try again later/cannot access samsung server. Wasted 1 hour before calling samsung (spent hour finding lots of hits while googling my dilemma). Spent 1 more hour with a call center flunky who eventually stated that she has no protocol for this issue. Had me do the same thing 3 times. Got 3 different results. Still no worky. Had to call it a night so I could eat and calm down. She said to call her back after 45 minutes so she could research it. Nope, she can't call me back; I have to call her. Last thing she said was run a hardline to the tv (100'+ just to test! yeah, lemme run out and get that). My better idea: Open box #2 and try it in the same place. Success.

So I'll call back tomorrow and revisit my case. I'll be returning all 3 for a different brand based on the outcome of that call.

I'll install my new router/modem AFTER this tv crap is done so I can rule out that change as causing any possible issues.

You realize that you're going to have to go through all of this again when you install your new router, right?

You realize that you're going to have to go through all of this again when you install your new router, right?

I'll install my new router/modem AFTER this tv crap is done so I can rule out that change as causing any possible issues.
Yep. I know.

this revelation might send @JohnVee over the edge :)
It's okay. I've tethered myself with a chain of empty 6-pack holders.

Good news: Leaf Ultimate got 45 channels when placed in a front window. Too bad only about 15-20 of them don't have some sort of audio or video issues. I'll try some other locations later. The topography here is not too kind.

Not sure if your issue is directly related but Samsung has a known issue with some of their "Smart TVs" not being able to maintain a connection with WiFi. The internal AP radios are crap and some work and some don't. I have several Samsung TVs and the most advanced, most expensive unit of them all has never been able to maintain a connection with our WiFi. I almost returned it but ultimately decided no big deal since we never use the Smart TV apps anyway and mostly rely on PS3, PS4 and Amazon fire stick for all on-line / streaming activity. Still, given the cost of the unit, it is annoying something as simple as establishing and keeping a wireless internet connection is not possible.

Will he if using the same SSID and password?

AES keys will be different, so AFAIK yes (assuming he's using WPA2-AES), but there's a ton of variables.

AES keys will be different, so AFAIK yes (assuming he's using WPA2-AES), but there's a ton of variables.

Yah, that's what I thought - it will see it as for as broadcasting, but won't connect (at least that's what I think) even with the same password as the old.....

You sure they gave you a real TV and not the cardboard display on the store? :rofl:

Anyway, I have Samsung and Philips "smart tvs" at home and office, the Philips LED actually was a lot easier to hook up and works better.

@Izzyandsue Yep, I have a Phillips picked out for the kitchen. Far better viewing angle, too.

Not sure if your issue is directly related but Samsung has a known issue with some of their "Smart TVs" not being able to maintain a connection with WiFi. The internal AP radios are crap and some work and some don't.
samsung thinks the "wireless card" is defective. Not gonna call them back today because I used Sarah's phone last night and it was a 5 minute process to enter all your info so they'll know you by phone number. We'll do it tomorrow night.

Isn't it a good idea to change those up every now and then, anyway?

AES, AET, whatever it takes. IIRC. WTH?

Yah, that's what I thought - it will see it as for as broadcasting, but won't connect (at least that's what I think) even with the same password as the old.....
See above, but interpret it for whatever you said.

Any reason to avoid the econo flat tv wall mounts at Harbor Freight-type places if I upgrade any necessary hardware? I need 3 flat mounts that can tilt down and 1 full motion. 55-65" capable. Whaddya all like?

I used this one for a soundbar and a 40" - it was actually $35.00 when I bought it, but it's now $25.00. For the price I would buy a fully articulating mount for each TV - price difference isn't that much. I added this comment after reading @Izzyandsue in regards to cheaper v more expensive. I went with this one below to see if I could get away with a not expensive mount. This setup gets moved every day in the room that it's in from side to side and extending and closing for almost two years now and it's as good as it was from the first day. No extra wiggles, all the joints are still tight.

Amazon.com: VideoSecu ML531BE TV Wall Mount for most 22"-55" LED LCD Plasma Flat Screen Monitor up to 88 lb VESA 400x400 with Full Motion Swivel Articulating 20 in Extension Arm, HDMI Cable & Bubble Level WP5: Home Audio & Theater

And I used this for a 32" recently, which is just as nice or the same, overall.

Amazon.com: Husky Mounts Full Motion TV Bracket fits most 32 Inch and other LED LCD Flat Screen Articulating TV Wall Mount VESA up to 200X200 (up to 8”x8”) 66 LBS Capacity. Swivel Arm Corner Friendly TV Mount: Electronics

Just make sure you check your VESA mounts - the 32" had a goofy VESA pattern that the one above luckily matched......but I doubt I need to tell you about VESA patterns with all of your technical work anywho..

Last edited:
If you are not going to move the a lot, it is fine in my opinion. If you expect a lot of movement, it is worth it to get the nicer ones with tighter hardware and parts. At home I use cheapo, at work the expensive since the TVs can get moved around a lot for presentations.

We gave up on our Samsung interface almost immediately except to basically swap inputs :( . We have had great luck with Netflix etc with our DVD players that have web interfaces. Sony/Samsung

Replaced the old Airport Extreme router and TWC-supplied Argus modem for a Netgear Nighthawk C7000 combo unit yesterday. I revisited the problem 65" tv after getting all my other devices going...Hmmm, it works just fine and has been playing netflix and youtube without issue. It looks like it is receiving a much stronger wifi signal than it did with the Airport. The 55" that I set up right next to it also functions fine - it was having issues earlier with Netflix wanting to lag and catch up. Funny thing is that my laptop and phone show the same signal strength with the new router as the old but the tv's are getting way stronger signal than before. Whatever.

The 55 will have more trouble filling up the smaller screen as the waves are fighting each other for space. The 65 has plenty of room in there so the waves don't fight each other and the signal comes in easy. I am looking for an 85" now to improve mine as well. The bigger the screen the easier the signals will fill it up with stuff.

Anyway, my wife might believe me....

This thread seems like a good place to ask this question... I have Apple everything. Router, phones, MacBooks, iPads, iMacs... Well, my wife has an iPad 2 that is about to give up, so I'm inclined to give her mine and upgrade to the iPad Pro. Here's the thing. The Microsoft Surface Pro has a USB Port, runs the full version of Windows, and also runs MS Office. This would make it much easier to handle the stuff I do for teaching. My Office for Mac basically destroys PowerPoint images that are created on Windows computers. I tried to give a lecture the other night, addressing stress intensity factors and how to use the Paris Equation... When lo and behold, the Paris Equation didn't even show up in the lecture because my MacBook ate it. Rather embarrassing, but I promised them they'd get the constants on the test and NOT to trust the accuracy of my integration.

Does anyone here use an MS Surface Pro? Thoughts on using MS Office on it?

Also, is it easy to set up a hot spot with an iPhone to work with a Surface Pro? I have this feeling that either MS or Apple would fight this kind of compatibility; and this would be a discriminator in selecting the Surface over the iPad.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom