Intermittent rattling from the glovebox area of LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I occasionally have this intermittent, and very annoying rattle from the glove box area of my LX. It sounds a bit like leather slipping against leather, but I could be wrong on that one. Has anyone else had a rattle in this area? Where was the issue?

Bumping this up.

The rattle has gotten worse, to the point that it's an almost constant thing. Still seems like it's coming from the glovebox area. Opening the glove box does not affect it.

Any other ideas?

does your recirc flap work properly?

does your recirc flap work properly?

As far as I can tell, yes.

Granted, an annoying thing I've noticed with that is I'll enable the recirculation mode, but after a little while it'll automatically switch to outside air, despite not being in "auto" mode. That doesn't mean it's broken, does it?

It seems very likely it’s the recirculation flap. Has a dealer ever done a cabin filter service? Pop open the filter door and watch the flap to see if it moves correctly and completely into position both directions. When the dealer messed with my cabin filter, the tech left a dash fastener loose that buzzed at idle.

As far as I can tell, yes.

Granted, an annoying thing I've noticed with that is I'll enable the recirculation mode, but after a little while it'll automatically switch to outside air, despite not being in "auto" mode. That doesn't mean it's broken, does it?

VERY carefully try to move the flap up or down (in both modes). Prior to having mine fixed (under warranty), it would stay open if in recirc mode, but it would bounce around if it was in fresh air mode. It's possible your linkage is broken in a similar fashion.

I occasionally have this intermittent, and very annoying rattle from the glove box area of my LX. It sounds a bit like leather slipping against leather, but I could be wrong on that one. Has anyone else had a rattle in this area? Where was the issue?
Is it a rattle or does it sound like a ball is rolling around in the glove box and it goes thud and then you dont hear ir anymore? This is what mine sounded like and it was the re-circ door slamming shut when I gave it gas from a stop. It was a low thud, like there was something in the glove box and it was driving me mad.

I've confirmed that the re/circulation flap operates properly and smoothly. No issue there.

I've also completely emptied the glove box to be 100% sure it's not something inside, but I'm about 95% sure it's not.

The sound is definitely not something rolling around. It is just like the sound of two materials rubbing on each other - plastic on plastic, leather on leather, plastic on leather, etc.

Does it continue with your climate control completely off?

Doesn’t seem to come from the CD slot in the entertainment system?

Does it continue with your climate control completely off?

Doesn’t seem to come from the CD slot in the entertainment system?

Really not sure. Will check the next time I hear the sound.

Really doubt it's the CD slot. Noise was from the passenger side/glovebox area. Will continue to investigate...

Have you checked the plastic panel that sits below the glove box area? It has no fasteners and simply snaps into place, maybe a passenger bumped it out of position with their feet.

OK. Interesting. I've been hearing something similar, coming from the passenger side rattle about as I am driving. I've been trying to hunt it down for about a year now. Emptied the glove box, no luck there. Then yesterday I looked over and noticed that the passenger head rest rattles. Reached over, grabbed the head rest, and the rattle stopped. The headrest was the culprit for my rattle. Come to think of it, I do not notice the sound when someone is ridding in the passenger seat. In case this helps esWolf with his rattle...

Passenger headrest rattle is quite common on these. Or so I remember reading.

I have a rattle, but I'm pretty sure it's just the blower. Anyone had any luck fixing the blower (cleaning or whatever) or just replacing it?

I need to replace an actuator on the passenger side upper vents too.

Have you checked the plastic panel that sits below the glove box area? It has no fasteners and simply snaps into place, maybe a passenger bumped it out of position with their feet.

This was an issue on mine, even when snapped in place.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I recently completely emptied the glovebox, save for the insurance papers. Driving around town lately I haven't heard the rattling, but I'm not yet convinced it's gone.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

I recently completely emptied the glovebox, save for the insurance papers. Driving around town lately I haven't heard the rattling, but I'm not yet convinced it's gone.

I know this may sound crazy, but do you have sunglasses or something in the sunglass holder above the rearview mirror???

It amazes me how sounds reflect around in a car off the glass and who knows what else...

I've also had the third row leather headrests rubbing against the back of the second row seats rubbing as well...

I hope you found your cure with the glove box...

This stuff can drive you crazy...

The air filter tray?

Leaf in the blower squirrel cage. I had it and after quite a while I realized it changed with the fan speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom