Intercooled 12-ht (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought someone would be interested in this.

To day I added a water-cooled intercooler to my 12-ht engine.
The cooler replaces the tube from the turbine to the intake manifold. A water cooler, water reservoir and a water pump is located in front of the radiator.

I havent had a chance to test the performance of the car after the cooler so I can´t tell if it is a much diffrent.

The first pic shows the water cooler, the pump and the reservoir.
The second shows the cooler, hoses and tubes I made.
The third shows the cooler in place.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Interesting stuff, Haffi...thanks for sharing. I think I'm going to link this to our FAQ section also.

One thing that I notice right away is how small the intercooler unit is. Especially considering that this is supposed to be a water-air cooler...I would have imagined that the size should have been a bit bigger. Of course I'm not an expert in turbos or intercooler in any way, but I did take my 13B-T to a local ricer shop and they indicated a water-air cooler that appeared significantly larger than the one you have pictured. And considering that your 12H-T has a larger displacement than mine...I'm wondering if you are even getting efficient cooling happening, or not?

Do you have any way of taking temps pre and post your intercooler? And do you have pics of what that cooling unit looks like inside? Maybe some dimensions? Thanks, and good luck!

I looked into this but the guys at the local speed shop talk me out of it.

To much heat wash. The guys at the track get awsome results filling the resoivoir with ice cold water just before a run.

very cool

let us know if you notice a difference

The Dude said:
I looked into this but the guys at the local speed shop talk me out of it.

To much heat wash.

Just curious as to what you mean by" heat wash"
Does this mean it is too efficient and draws too much heat away?

roscoFJ73 said:
Just curious as to what you mean by" heat wash"
Does this mean it is too efficient and draws too much heat away?

The other way around. Because the intercooler sits on top of the engine, heat from the engine and exhaust manifold rises up and heat transfers to the intercooler, negating some of its effects.

The ricer shop that I went to recommended putting a small water-air cooler in front of my airbox in order to avoid this problem. I was originally planning a similar setup on top of my engine, like a Subaru...but they didn't think that would be worth the effort.

Well I have been driving for about 2 hours today, just in town no higway driving. When i stopped I opened the hood an I touched the pipes on both sides of the cooler. I felt a diffrence I belive. Not much but a little. I might try to measure the temp somehow in the nex days.

The water in the reservour was not cold, it was warm, It felt quite comfortable sticking my finger into it ;)

Maybe a hoodscoop of some kind would be a good idea to flush the heat from the engine down with colder air?
I might also try to isolate the cooler from the engine? Perhaps with a thin metal plate below it? I bought that stuff used for about 1/4 of the prize of it so I belive this worth the effort for me.

Haffi

Haffi:

I think the hoodscoop and heat shield between the intercooler and engine would be a great idea. It might also cool your turbo down a little while you're driving. Sheldon has done a ceramic coating on his exhaust manifold and turbo housing...I hear this is a good way of keeping under hood temps lower. Just some ideas.

It's always worth the effort, and you deserve credit for in effect pioneering this type of modification for us. So I'm sure many out there who have a 12H-T would like to toast a :beer: your way.

:cheers:

The intercooler setup for all kids of tubro system are measured in CFM . ? for example .. just to know the real and specific performance for a intercooler unit ..

rainforrest248.jpg

This is the set up on a Nissan Patrol 3 liter diesel Ute , similar to what you are attempting. Perhaps not ideal compared to an intercooler out front but it works very well on the Patrol perhaps someone should tell Nissan.LOL. The bonnet also has a small air scoop.:D Believe me these units can really haul.:cheers:

Stone said:
but I did take my 13B-T to a local ricer shop and they indicated a water-air cooler that appeared significantly larger than the one you have pictured.

Could it be Stone that this shop has no clue as to what the airflow would be in your diesel and are only thinking in Gasser terms of airflow. Where as a 3.4 gasser would be huge airflow. ???

Or do they know how to work out diesels for airflow.???

I imagine ricer shops would have no clue to diesel stuff.

Hi Darryl:

The CFM would basically be calculated from engine displacement and RPM, right? I think they have an idea as to how much roughly my engine would require. This ricer shop is near Piers Diesel Research...I'd figure those guys talk to each other once in a while. :D

I had thought about a hood scoop for an intercooler as well. Actually I was wondering about it for moving the AC rad so as to improve the effeciency of the engine radiator especially on really hot days and steep hills. (pretty much when you want the AC on right?)

The Nissan patrol pic is good to see this in action. Any other experience with hood scoops out there? Good hood scoop sources?

It´s working. The last few days I have noticed a diffrence. When driving up a hill where I had to shift down to 2´nd gear. I can now drive in 3rd gear without a problem ;) The cruiser also feels a little quicker... But the best part is the extra torque.

I have also been looking at hood scoops. My local used part dealer is looking for scoop from a Izuzu Trooer he belives he has somwhere in the back. I migth get it tomorrow. The Trooper has original intercooler placed on top of the engine (similar to the Nissan Patrol) but a much bigger scoop. And it looks like it will fit the cruiser properly. I will post a pic if it fits.

I'll see if I can grab a shot of the 4runner intercooler-- a lot like the Nissan above, I think.

Pretty cool idea. I'm curious to know how hot the water gets? Seems like you could flow veggie oil through the works and get preheat on the oil while cooling the air.... maybe.

I bought the air cooler, the water cooler, the reservoir, the pump and some silicone hoses used for about 158 usd. Then i bought some pipes, hose clamps, bolts and some more hoses for maybe 80 usd, so everything for about 240 usd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom