Insurance Question+8274 Question+Controller Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning all,
Question #1
How can I explain to my insurance company that a winch can be used OFF of a vehicle? I am dealing with a renters insurance claim and my Winch was damaged in a collision. For coverage reasons I am claiming it on my renters insurance even though it was on the truck during a not at fault collision (See signature). My insurance already mentioned that if an item isn't usable off a vehicle stand alone it would not be covered under renters insurance. Basically it comes down to how to articulate it, thoughts? it was a Smittybuilt XRC8 on a removable hitch mount tray and synthetic line.

Question #2
How much power loss will I have moving the 8274 control box under the hood with longer 0 gauge wire from a front bumper on an FZJ80? My new rig has an 8274 with the control box exposed and not protected. I have smashed several control boxes because I don't like getting out of my truck to move trees in winter. What other options do I have for protecting the box?

Question #3
What controller options are there for 8274s? I am looking for the cheapest way to restore the winch to a wired controller or in vehicle switch. I am game for wireless if it is a proven system that wont break the bank and does not have any safety issues. The PO of the vehicle put a cheap wireless controller off ebay for the set up. Not only did I lose my controller in the sand dunes Day 1, but it did not work safely like I wanted (continuing to spool after letting off switch/not spooling etc).

Thanks, did some searching but didn't find much.

you can wire up any Warn (or other) controller you want; the wiring is not rocket science. You may have to change out the socket for the controller plug in the cover however. I use the same controller for both my 1978 8274 and a modern M8000 (in different trucks). That way, I can have just one recovery bag that can go in either truck with no changes.

Question #1: Was it on the truck when it was damaged? If so, why try to claim it on renter’s insurance? Even if it was parked and hit, you’d still go through your auto insurance if it was a damaged fender or bumper - right?

Question #2: Options for making a “skidplate” or guard for the control box where it is? Don’t move trees like that?

Question #3: In Cab winch control panel | OffRoadControls

you can wire up any Warn (or other) controller you want; the wiring is not rocket science. You may have to change out the socket for the controller plug in the cover however. I use the same controller for both my 1978 8274 and a modern M8000 (in different trucks). That way, I can have just one recovery bag that can go in either truck with no changes.

Cool, I thought that was the case but wasnt sure. Ill look into that as a temporary change out of my spare parts I have lying around.

Question #1: Was it on the truck when it was damaged? If so, why try to claim it on renter’s insurance? Even if it was parked and hit, you’d still go through your auto insurance if it was a damaged fender or bumper - right?

Question #2: Options for making a “skidplate” or guard for the control box where it is? Don’t move trees like that?

Question #3: In Cab winch control panel | OffRoadControls

1. Yes and no. Stupidly complex accident due to lots of factors and renters insurance is going to probably be the only way to recoup the cost of the winch. Property damage coverage is maxed out from the accident already due to uninsured motorist hitting me (see signature).

2. Just solved my pushing trees problem, I am ditching the 4x4labs front bumper and trading it with a guy out of oregon for an ARB Deluxe bumper, now I just have to trim stuff to fit the winch into it. I use my vehicle to push trucks and logs frequently enough that a full guard is in order instead of a low pro crawling bumper.

3. Thank you, Ill be doing that mod now!

1. Yes and no. Stupidly complex accident due to lots of factors and renters insurance is going to probably be the only way to recoup the cost of the winch. Property damage coverage is maxed out from the accident already due to uninsured motorist hitting me (see signature).

2. Just solved my pushing trees problem, I am ditching the 4x4labs front bumper and trading it with a guy out of oregon for an ARB Deluxe bumper, now I just have to trim stuff to fit the winch into it. I use my vehicle to push trucks and logs frequently enough that a full guard is in order instead of a low pro crawling bumper.

3. Thank you, Ill be doing that mod now!

#1. :eek: Glad you’re still with us! That’s more than I was expecting. Not sure what the best answer is on the insurance angle.

#2. Sounds like a good plan.

#3. :cheers:

#1. :eek: Glad you’re still with us! That’s more than I was expecting. Not sure what the best answer is on the insurance angle.

#2. Sounds like a good plan.

#3. :cheers:

Yep, kind of a s***ty situation right now with insurance since nothing can be done until the official police report comes out. Just trying to get things squared away now and its going to involve arguing with insurance agents now..

Thanks though!

Get a Ramsey Replacement Winch Solenoid 251234, and mount it remotely in something like this.

Ramsey Replacement Winch Solenoid 251234

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom