Instrument panel resto - 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not getting a lot of traction on the diesel side of the forum with my resto. Here is the link if you are interested.

Pulled the instrument cluster out yesterday and started to ID wires for the swap.

Couple of questions on the cluster.

The Good: Glass is in tact, no visible rust, gauges move freely

The Bad: My gasket and the seals around the glass are dry and very brittle. May need to replace that if possible. I did bend a gauge needle and am worries it may fall off.

I'd like to see about painting or at least cleaning up the exterior. Thoughts? The simple green didn't do much. May take a light steel wool to it to see if I can knock off some of the surface scuffs. Thoughts? Otherwise, I can sand it down and paint it grey.

cleaning glass.jpg

tearing it down cluster.jpg

front cluster.jpg

Anyone know a good color match rattle can for the cluster and other parts in the interior. The grey parts. Couple of stubborn spots are going to require a repaint I think

Anyone know a good color match rattle can for the cluster and other parts in the interior. The grey parts. Couple of stubborn spots are going to require a repaint I think

Cool Cruisers of Texas makes a direct match for the pewter gray I believe.

I redid mine over 20+ years ago...back in the day before it was easy to take/save pictures. It was pretty straightforward. If I remember correctly you can carefully remove the needles in order to paint them. Not sure about your temperature gauge tho. Gonna need to get creative on that one, but I think you can repair it.

One of my gauges was missing the ‘stop’ thingy that keeps the needle at the bottom when you turn off the key. I just stuck part of a toothpick in the hole, does the job and you can’t see it once the cluster is installied. Last month I had a reason to get in there again...I had forgotten about the toothpick trick, but it was still there doing it’s job.

Got the bright orange paint from Hobby Lobby. I ‘think’ you can pull those needles off, not 100% certain tho.

Last edited:
Thanks John. Very interesting about the toothpick. I'll have to check in with Onur about the gauge. I'll post his response. I do plan to head over to Hobby Lobby for that paint for this weekend.

Any ideas on the gasket material for the back that holds the glass? I'd like to refurb it if possible.

Interesting, thanks for posting this resto, :popcorn:

It may not be a perfect match but I've used Rust-Oleum Hammered Gray paint on things like the glove box and heater box to bring them back.

Last edited:
Thanks. That's a good option. May end up with a dakota digital if I can't fix the needles

Man, that is a giant leap.

The needles can be fixed...or you can always buy a used gauge from someone. Replacing one of my gauges with a used one was why I had to recently open up my cluster,

That looks great. Well done. I'll run over to HD and get that same spray paint. I endued up with traffic cone orange paint for RC cars. I'll snap a pic of it afer the Thanksgiving break.

Good plan on the silicone for those missing gaskets.

Was your glass easy to get in and out? The black material that holds my larger glass is really brittle.

That looks great. Well done. I'll run over to HD and get that same spray paint. I endued up with traffic cone orange paint for RC cars. I'll snap a pic of it afer the Thanksgiving break.

Good plan on the silicone for those missing gaskets.

Was your glass easy to get in and out? The black material that holds my larger glass is really brittle.
My seals pretty much crumbled. The smaller ones are ok, the bigger one is barely there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom