Instrument cluster back lighting dim out around 10mph SMD LED 2003 lexus gx470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I'm aware that this is a common issue but even with all the forums on the 120 series I can't find anyone who actually have specs on what smd led will solder in to my burnt out gauge cluster behind the 0 - 20 mph area.. Help!!! I know I'm only one among many who need to fix their burned out gauge backlighting.

This video on YouTube is the best help I've found in that it shows front and back of the circuit board but still doesn't give direction on what size bulbs we need..

Mine is dim too right in the same area of the speedo. Watched the YT vid as well and was at a dead end similar to you. This is something I'd feel comfortable doing myself if I knew which bulbs/SMDs fit :)

Mine is dim too right in the same area of the speedo. Watched the YT vid as well and was at a dead end similar to you. This is something I'd feel comfortable doing myself if I knew which bulbs/SMDs fit :)
You and I are in the same boat.. someone throw us a paddle!!!

I have the same issue. I have fixed clusters in the past, but some input would be nice on parts and any gx specifics.

My guess is a plcc-2 since that’s what the same model year range of 4Runners and Tacoma’s utilized. Only one way to find out though by pulling cluster. Your bigger issue is matching the OEM white. Will probably need to get a few different kelvin whites and see what matches.

Isn’t the cluster a 3mm T1 bulb?

My guess is a plcc-2 since that’s what the same model year range of 4Runners and Tacoma’s utilized. Only one way to find out though by pulling cluster. Your bigger issue is matching the OEM white. Will probably need to get a few different kelvin whites and see what matches.
I would bet you're right on the plcc-2! I'm willing to be a guinea pig... what do you guys think? Should I pick up a few of each: 3000k, 3500k & 4000k and see what's closest? or should I be doing a wider range of k?

Isn’t the cluster a 3mm T1 bulb?

doubtful, most Toyota’s of the same gen as a gx470 no longer utilize neowedge type incandescent bulbs in the gauge cluster. Previous model 3rd gen 4Runners and 1st gen Tacoma’s did though.

I would bet you're right on the plcc-2! I'm willing to be a guinea pig... what do you guys think? Should I pick up a few of each: 3000k, 3500k & 4000k and see what's closest? or should I be doing a wider range of k?

I’d get something around the 4K and 5k ranges. I can’t imagine they used anything higher than 5k, otherwise it would start looking blue-ish. It’s hard to tell though since it’s an led shining through a semi-translucent plastic. I doubt it’s a 3k but you never know. To me that would produce a warmer color. The cluster almost looks like a natural white (4-5 range).

and there isn’t hardly any information to go off of since hardly anyone has diy’ed it. Once you get the panel all disassembled I’d probably just apply 12v to each of the purchased LEDs and hold up to the gauge panel and see what looks right I guess.

I’d get something around the 4K and 5k ranges. I can’t imagine they used anything higher than 5k, otherwise it would start looking blue-ish. It’s hard to tell though since it’s an led shining through a semi-translucent plastic. I doubt it’s a 3k but you never know. To me that would produce a warmer color. The cluster almost looks like a natural white (4-5 range).

and there isn’t hardly any information to go off of since hardly anyone has diy’ed it. Once you get the panel all disassembled I’d probably just apply 12v to each of the purchased LEDs and hold up to the gauge panel and see what looks right I guess.
OK well I'll try 4000, 4500 & 5000!

Awesome! Subscribing.
:popcorn:

doubtful, most Toyota’s of the same gen as a gx470 no longer utilize neowedge type incandescent bulbs in the gauge cluster. Previous model 3rd gen 4Runners and 1st gen Tacoma’s did though.

So if they are plcc-2 so we gotta solder then eh? No thanks. That’s a bummer, Maybe the 3mmT1 is for the switches. Had a website spit out that bulb for the cluster.

+1 on the dark area at the 10 mph mark on mine. I was just going to get an extra cluster from the junkyard and salvage a couple SMD LEDS off it. I have a hot air solder station for SMD work.
Others have tackled this problem over at club lexus. No indication of what the part number is though.
Check it out at Instrument cluster back lighting? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-1st-gen-2004-2009/708138-instrument-cluster-back-lighting-2.html
Good idea, I don't care to pay for a whole cluster nor make a trip to a junkyard.. the bulbs I ordered were less than 15 bucks shipped.

I've already read that thread. The only info it really provided was how to remove the cluster... then the thread died w no beneficial bulb info.

It is official, after years of dead abandoned forums we have a solution repair and conclusion to this BS!!! Soldering in 3 4000k plcc-2 fixes it...

jdevtac was correct with his guess of plcc-2 being bulb size. Thank you for that help!

I found that 4000k was on par with the OEM white BUT BEWARE.. Todays LED bulbs are significantly brighter. If you tackle this job just know you'll either need to do something to dim the 3 bulbs you solder in or you'll need replace all the associated smd's so everything matches..

See the youtube video I put together showing how the repair is made and then let me know if you guys have anymore questions!

it's uploading at the moment but should be live in about an hour

My man, thank you for this! I was tempted to pull a board from a junker and send it off to Tannin or whatever the company is that offers to put new bulbs on the entire board cause I couldn’t find any solid info here or on club Lexus.

now I feel way better about doing this at home. Gonna follow your advice of replacing all the leds with 4000K ones just so everything matches.

may want to link this over on the GXOR subreddit, too. That sub loves your truck.

Nice glad it worked out! May have to tackle this at some point. You could try some wax paper to cut down on the brightness just a little for that region of the cluster instead of resoldering everything. Was an old trick the 4Runner guys used to do to get better diffusion with led replacements.

are these the bulbs?

when you mention re-doing the entire board for even brightness, do you mean just the white bulbs on the speedo and tach, all the white bulbs, or all the leds on the board? im leaning towards just the speedo and tach, but not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom