Installing Jeep TJ rear bench seat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I did not want to add any Jeep parts to the 40, but I have 2 anxious kids who want a ride!

I looked for any detailed threads on Mud and other sites, but mainly just found informative comments that "it could be done easily"and... it was pretty easy. I tried to keep the install as non-invasive as possible. 8 total holes drilled to mount the seat.

After searching for a while (and purchasing a wrong seat) I found the best true fit for the back of the 40 tub was model TJ Jeep rear seat (1997 - 2006). To my understanding, the TJ seats were the widest seats available, around 40'' at widest cushioned part. It fits the tub perfectly opposed to the first seat I bought which 1) had 2'' gap on each side at wheel wells and 2) could not fit two car seats.

I purchased the seat with mounting hardware for $300 on eBay. More expensive than I had hoped, and I'm sure if I was more patient I could have found one for 1/2 the cost on marketplace.

First step was to mock up the spacing on a piece of wood. I did not want to risk drilling any more holes in the tub than necessary!
IMG_0969.jpeg

Next I traced the measurements onto the tub. Used painters tape to keep the marks / drill holes cleaner

IMG_0974.jpeg

Make sure you get under the 40 to ensure you will not be drilling into crossmembers or the chassis! This next picture shows a light red line of where the chassis runs. In later pictures you will see how close the washers and nuts are to the chassis.

IMG_0963.jpeg

The stock jeep front hardware mount needs an outside spacer to keep the bracket stable. Luckily I had an old harbor freight bike mount that I was able to cut and paint match. This serves as my spacer. You can see in this next picture the bolt diameter fits perfectly in the 1/2'' ID pipe

IMG_0971.jpeg

After measuring out where the front seat mounts will go, next step was to get rid of the black and paint them metallic grey to match existing seat hardware. Im not too happy with the color match, I wish the spray was a bit darker. Either way, it looks better than black hardware.

IMG_0980.jpeg

Before mounting the front seat brackets, I used a non-slip foam pad. This adds a buffer layer from the brackets to the tub.

IMG_0975.jpeg

After getting both front mounts bolted in next was to line up where the rear bolts would go to secure the seat. I had to do some trial and error by lifting the seat up and down to see where the stock bumper feet would land on the tub floor.

This seat was designed to fold and tumble. I don't envision needing the "tumble" part, so instead of mounting additional rear hardware (which would have been a hassle with the wheel wells), I used the holes for the bumper feet secure the seat to the tub.

IMG_0987.jpeg

I still have the fold feature in the seat, but cannot lift the seat up out of the way.

Here is a picture of the underside showing 1) all driver side floor bolt locations and 2) how close the holes are to chassis / cross member

IMG_0989.jpeg

I considered putting in seatbelts but didn't want the extra holes in the tub. Once the kids are out of carseats the plan is to have jump seats. I found an alternative to seat belts, a bracket that is meant for car seat connection points.

IMG_0993.jpeg

Here are a few picutres of the seat folded down, and with the tailgate closed.
IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

This is showing how the seat sits in the front brackets. You can get the seat in and out without removing the front brackets. Rear bolts have to be undone from the underside of cruiser.

IMG_0986.jpeg

Depending on how long I stick with this seating configuration, my phase 2 of this project will be to make a matching metal seat backing panel (just like the front bench seats have) and pair that with the coral vinyl material that SOR sells. This would make the rear seat look as close to factory as possible while matching the front seats too.

For now I will be using a falsa blanket to cover the seat color / pattern. :rofl:

Last edited:
Seat mods have large safety implications to be taken into account. Have you considered adding plates on the underside of the floor to run the bolts thru? Those bolts with washes will rip right thru the sheet metal floor if there is a solid hit. Seats, kids and all will fly forward. Given the cargo I just don't the thought to go unspoken.

Seat mods have large safety implications to be taken into account. Have you considered adding plates on the underside of the floor to run the bolts thru? Those bolts with washes will rip right thru the sheet metal floor if there is a solid hit. Seats, kids and all will fly forward. Given the cargo I just don't the thought to go unspoken.
That’s what I did. 3/16” plate panels on the underside.

Forty years ago I ran first gen Bronco back seat in my 68 FJ40. Besides beefing up the seat mount I used bolts on the floor of cruiser that went into the frame to anchor a piece of angle iron across the back. I used that for seat belts that held the car seats. Luckily never tested how well it would work in accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom