installing cable lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
has anyone ever attempted to put the handles for the cable lockers from a right hand drive into a left hand drive truck? I'm considering doing this and wondering if there's anything i need to know. And yes coffee addicts i realize i will lose my cup holder.....:rolleyes:

It's not particularly difficult. You'll need to cut out the appropriate hole through the floor for the handle connecting rods, drill and nutsert some hole in the crossmember for mounting the mechanism, and cut and weld in some extensions to the actuator shafts themselves. Just be precise. You know the old adage "measure seven times, cut once". You don't have a lot of room for error if you want it all to drop in place. If you want more detail later on, I'd be glad to provide it.

Bill

I would be very jelouse!! If you decide to do, pics and cost would be awesome! I have been wanting to go this route in the long term.

Thanks and goodluck!

Here's a couple of pics
IMG_2867.jpg
IMG_2868.jpg

billmc said:
It's not particularly difficult. You'll need to cut out the appropriate hole through the floor for the handle connecting rods, drill and nutsert some hole in the crossmember for mounting the mechanism, and cut and weld in some extensions to the actuator shafts themselves. Just be precise. You know the old adage "measure seven times, cut once". You don't have a lot of room for error if you want it all to drop in place. If you want more detail later on, I'd be glad to provide it.

Bill

please elaborate on the extensions to the actuator shafts, do you mean that the cables have to be lengthened or are you talking about the handles?

No, I think he means the rods which transmit the vertical to the horizantal pulling action. You'd have to extend these to get mount the levers on the left side of the console.

Yes, the rods need to be extended about 8 inches, ie the distance between the PS and DS sides of the console. The shafts are solid round stock, but I welded in 7/8" pipe, which worked great. I spent a lot of time under the truck pondering cable extensions, but it just seemed much more complicated to do right. If you extend the shafts (which is how the OEM LHD mech is) everything bolts right up.

Bill

billmc - the rods you're talking about, are those in the second picture you posted? do they basically run sideways under the center cosole to meet up with the original cable position?

colin 4 said:
billmc - the rods you're talking about, are those in the second picture you posted? do they basically run sideways under the center cosole to meet up with the original cable position?

Yes, they're running parallel to the crossmember. In the picture they span the area between the driveshaft and the exhaust. The righthand (shorter one) is the rear mechanism, longer is for the front locker. If you look closely at the shafts (sorry, it wouldn't let me post a larger pic) you can see can see the welds which I didn't bother to grind flat. On the muffler end of the shafts you can see the tabs where the two handle mech rods which protrude through the floor and crossmember connect. That's where the vertical movement of the handles gets converted to horizontal movement of the cables. My modified RHD system is virtually identical to the factory LHD version.

Bill

I have also thought about this conversion. How much would this end up costing, and where would you find a set of cable lockers??

WALoeIII said:
This requires a Full Float rear first correct?

Yes, Toyota cable locking reae diff is on a full float axle.

andrew7elk said:
I have also thought about this conversion. How much would this end up costing, and where would you find a set of cable lockers??

Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I was a hugely overpaid techie who plonked down a large stack of folding money for Japanese imported axles and cable mechanism from G & S up in Canada. I enjoyed installing them and really love having them, but now in my semi-retired state they wouldn't be a viable locker option purely for cost reasons. On the other hand, they're as bulletproof as lockers get.

Bill

andrew7elk said:

i paid $4000 cdn for both axles with the original cables and handles included. Yes i know that's a lot. However when i started doing the math on ARB's it wasn't a lot more when you include all the labour 'cause i can't rip my diff's apart on my own...my friend is putting them in his 60 and the on board compressor would probably come in handy but in my "less is more" mindset i like the simplicity of the cable lockers; stock, no electrical, no airlines, swap the axles and it's in...ish..
they came out of a truck imported for parts w/less than 100 000 km, and i get warranty, they get rave reviews so i'm looking 4ward to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom