installed auto trans, what to do about front axle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
i installed a th350 in my 71 fj40 with the advance adapter between the trans and t/case. it seems the trans oil pan sticks out where the front driveshaft should be. advance adapter wants $175 for some kind of adapter, but i was wondering if there is any other option. has anyone done this?

the PO of my 45LV looks to have bashed the pan to clear the shaft.....not the most eligant but it seems to work. This was a SBC, to T400 to advance adapter to 3 speed case.

I am sure there is a better way ;)

Check Downey Off Road, not much cheaper - but at least you got two places to choose from.

ya know.......thats is what the PO might have done, I'll snap a pic this weekend.

Gumby said:
I have yet to do it, but I wll probably cut off the corner and weld a flat peice on to create a more elegant solution than Pimp's PO

My friend also had his mechanic bash the pan in. He has a 700R and also had to have a custom driveshaft made with small diameter tubing.

Gotta believe Gumby's solution has merit. :)

In your conversion did you rotate the transfer case slightly downward on the passanger side? I have a 305/th350 set up and have decent clearance because 1. the t-case is 6 inches back from the pan (the length of the adapter is the same as the old transmission's tail shaft housing) and 2. the t-case is rotated slightly downward. As you look at the new rear t-case support that mounts between the frame rails it is 2 inches lower on the passanger side than the driver's side, thus lowering the out put side of t-case by 1" or so. That gives me just over 2" between the pan and the front shaft at the left side of the pan. By my guess if I were to fully compress the suspension it should not hit the pan. I wish I had a camera to show you--good reason as any to buy one.

theo said:
My friend also had his mechanic bash the pan in. He has a 700R and also had to have a custom driveshaft made with small diameter tubing.QUOTE]

I have the same conversion and same solution. Kind of booty-fab, but no probs in two years of hard wheeling.

the PO of mine had custome drive shafts made with a small diameter tube so it clears. its a close fit but it works no prob. this is with a th400 tranny and a SBC.

mike

Running a SBC and a 700R4 to a 241 and had to run a 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing to clear the tranny pan. This is in my 55.

yup , what last post said. There was a guy from SCLC club at rubithon 03 with a red fj40 .I think his name was Craig. He had a 700r4 and used a carrier bearing with a 2 piece shaft. It worked good , had a cv on the front side of carrier .

Paul A, i don't understand how you rotated your transfer case. are the six bolts connecting it to the transmission in a perfect circle formation, so that you can just rotate it one bolt space to the right? have i got that right? what does that do to the rear drive shaft?

My pan is "bashed" in a little and I did buy a special output yoke. It did make the Ujoint smaller. May need to revisit this to see what else I can do now. I have the older AA adapter that is less than 2" thick. Been running it for over 15 years now.

Been off line a while (long weekend from work).

First off you have to have an adapter plate between the th350 and t-case that incorporates that rotation in the bolt pattern. Then, since the the case is now rotated to the right, the rear mounting bracket is rotated like an airplane propellor, the right lower than the left.

DavidW said:
Running a SBC and a 700R4 to a 241 and had to run a 2 piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing to clear the tranny pan. This is in my 55.

i don't see why you'd have to run a 2 piece shaft?! the th700-np241 is a stock setup and they run one piece shafts?!

also, slight hijack.
if anybody needs an adapter, i have a new one for a th400 and one for a th700.
hijack over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom