Installation of 6.5” component front speakers (hopefully) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My ecu is under the hood ( LS swap). The door opening was enlarged a bit. Those are Italian Fatal Pro 8” drivers courtesy of my brother Al. Bose 4” midrange in the free air kick baffles and I have a 1” sulk dome tweeters in the upper door card ( not pictured). 12” Infinty kappa Perfect in a downfire sealed enclosure to round sub bass freq. It’s a simple 3 way active soundstage driven by 3 Japanese Denon SQ amps. Sounds pretty good but I haven’t played with tuning yet
Denon haven't heard of them in years

Talk about an overwhelming subject. Once it’s all figured out just tell me what to do.... better yet what brand car can I go pull a decent set of speakers from at the junk yard?

looked at the inner door and i can’t see that i cut the door. it’s all covered with dynamite now so i’m not 100% sure but the holes looked too round for my abilities if they were cut!! i’m sure i just trimmed the door cards to get things to fit.

Thanks for checking!

I went to that website yesterday but didn’t know where to start looking. Do you think if I found any speaker that had 92 dB of sensitivity and the same response, rms power etc, they would sound fairly identical? I haven’t heard of any brands on that site, but I was wondering if many of the speakers are made by the same companies - it’s just whether you pay the extra $$ for better specs. I certainly don’t need to pay for crossovers so maybe I would save a little.

What’s been your experience, good brands, etc?

Speaker choices are endless.
For me part of the fun of audio is trying to make an inexpensive setup sound as good or better than a $$ setup. I like to try different stuff and see what sounds good. For me in a car, I try to get as much clean midbass < 250hz possible (to overcome road noise and any cancelation you get) and then focus mostly on the midrange/high frequencies cause those frequencies cover a much larger audible spectrum. Sending gobs of clean class A/B power to any speaker will make a big difference. I would focus a lot of attention on amplification and less on speaker choice. The rest comes with tuning. That being said, it all depends on the setup and install is very important, not to mention the different dynamics from car to car. If a 2way is what your looking at, then you want a midbass/midrange driver that plays flat into the higher frequencies and subsequently a (preferably) large format tweeter than plays flat into the lower frequencies. The beauty of a 3 way is that the drivers are more narrowly focused and require less quality of driver to achieve great results. But the tuning can be tricky.

If your looking for a plug and play setup, I’d be willing to bet that Focal set will play very nicely.

I have found in my time messing with systems in the cruiser, that there is a point of limiting returns with high powered midbass in the doors. I’m at the point with my 8’s in the doors that the speakers have quite a bit more to go, but all the hardware in the old doors just starts to flippin rattle. Doors are very well deadended, still trying to figure out how to solve all the rattles coming from the latches, key tumblers, etc.

I know that probably doesn’t help you, but those are my thoughts.

Good luck and 🎶🎵🎼

Last edited:
I had 5.5” components in my front door for years. Mounted the tweeter higher in the door above the door handle.

I now have 6.5” speakers in the front doors. All it took was a 1/2” spacer to mount mine without modifying the door (card or metal).

If I switch back to components in the future I will mount the driver under the dash, the mids in the original spot and mount the tweeters through the dash itself.

F7EE889D-1F10-483A-AA3D-55FAA067D2A8.jpeg

High jack
Any recommendations for rear speakers to match the front PS165FSE? Rear panels will be custom made so I can mount just about any size. Also, I will use a powered sub under one of the front seats. Amp will probably be around 70-80 watts per channel.
thanks

In addition to the 6.5” speakers in the front doors, I have 5.25” speakers in the rear doors, and 6x9’s in the rear panels just behind the bench seat... Plus the powered sub under the passenger seat.

Are both of you going active or no?

If you use the crossovers then the 6x9 coaxial focal would fill the back nicely I’d think - using a 4 channel amp along with your powered sub, but I’m no expert. If active I’d try just highs, mids and lows without anything in the back and see how it sounds. That’s what I’m going to do.

the 6x9s should fit in the back side panels somewhere is what I was thinking.

Last edited:
If you use the crossovers then the 6x9 coaxial focal would fill the back nicely I’d think using a 4 channel amp but I’m no expert

along with your powered sub

Sorry, I have a 4channel amp (under driver seat) that is running the front doors and 6x9’s. I have the head unit running the small speakers in the rear doors.

a 5-channel amp that could run the front doors, cargo area, and a sub was my original plan. I bought the smaller 5.25” speaker for the front door originally and decided to order the 6.5’s. Then I had an extra set of speakers, so I thought “what the hell?”.

I was editing my post when you responded. I think that would be awesome. Does it sound good? What amp did you use? Power for each channel?

I was editing my post when you responded. I think that would be awesome. Does it sound good? What amp did you use? Power for each channel?
My truck is in the shop, has been for 3 months... The whole system sounds really good, especially once I threw the sub in there... I got a Rockford Fosgate amp (as is everything but the sub). Believe it’s 75x4 RMS and 150x4 peak. Somewhere around there at least.

I didn’t go super high end with the speakers. May upgrade in the future, but not sure which way I will go at that time.

My speakers are here direct from Germany. Hand built in France, purchased from car-media store for just a bit more than 1/2 the cost they would have been if I got them in the states. I got faster shipping and it only took a week to get here. Packaging was perfect. I can't wait to get them installed. More to come later.

Focal Flax Evo PS 165 FE is what I finally went with.

My speakers are here direct from Germany. Hand built in France, purchased from car-media store for just a bit more than 1/2 the cost they would have been if I got them in the states. I got faster shipping and it only took a week to get here. Packaging was perfect. I can't wait to get them installed. More to come later.

Focal Flax Evo PS 165 FE is what I finally went with.
Did you check the serial number with the Focal website?

Yes I checked the serial number. It’s legit. I registered the speakers with Focal and got their 2 year warranty on them. So everything is kosher and worked out just fine ordering from the Amazon.de website. I just had to play with the German to English translation and convert German money to US.

Last edited:
Yes I checked the serial number. It’s legit. I registered the speakers with Focal and got their 2 year warranty on them. So everything is kosher and worked out just fine ordering from the Amazon.de website. I just had to play with the German to English translation and convert German money to US.
I have a couple of orders inbound from Italy purchased through Amazon France. German Amazon would not sell a focal powered bass unit but Amazon.fr would. Will report here if they are not legit. Thanks for leading the way 👏🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom